Do not give up.

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Do not give up.

Postby cshell » 02 Nov 2012, 11:26

I have had mild AF problems off and on for a number of years. I say mild I didn’t think they were at the time but a quick visit to the Doctor and a tube of Rectogesic normally sorted things out in a couple of weeks.
Until last April, not thinking I strained on passing a motion and immediately thought I should not have done that. The pains started a while later and things from then went downhill. I must have spent hours on the toilet in absolute agony. I had spasms that made it impossible to walk, it was hard even walking across the kitchen, it was painful sitting down, laying down, standing up no way could I settle. I could not venture far from a toilet as felt I wanted to go all the time and for the next three months I was confined to the house and the toilet! With an odd very painful trip to the Doctor. Life was not very good to say the least for me or my wife!!
What did I do about it? Well I read about AF on this web site which was a great help as you always think you are the only one suffering! I found great relief with hot baths; the time in the bath seemed to bring short-lived relief as, as soon as I got out the pain started. I also have a really understanding Doctor who prescribed painkillers (only for 7 days) but they did help, this coupled with Rectogesic , Movicol and Fyebogel and eating at least one orange a day worked and my first pain-free day was late July after starting in April.
Rectogesic was used up to its time limit the Doctor was not going to prescribe me with anymore as I had been using it for so long but told me to carry on until I had finished the tube, if the problem wasn’t sorted by then I would be referred to hospital. Movicol I was told to start on two 13.8g sachets a day but found this was making me go too much which didn’t allow time for healing so I went down to one sachet a day. The Fybogel I again started on two sachets a day. It took a while but things did get better and since last July I have been ok. But I am very worried it will happen again so I now take one sachet of Movicol and one of Fybogel a day. Both I have with the doctors clearance and on prescription. I make sure I also eat a good selection of fruit and am keeping my fingers crossed I stay clear. What I will say is DO NOT GIVE UP YOU CAN GET OVER THIS.
cshell

Topics: 1

Re: Do not give up.

Postby fedup.com » 15 Nov 2012, 17:23

Hi there,
I've had an AF for around 3 months now, nothing aslong as some of the people on here and I already can't stand it anymore.
I've radically changed my diet (fruit, veg, increase daily fibre) and drink copious amounts of water daily yet theres been no improvement. If anything it's gotten slightly worse. I've also been taking Dulco-ease (stool softener) for around 6 weeks, some times it works but other time's (larger stools) doesn't have the desired affect.
I've today switched to Movicol and will try 1 sachet per day to start and hopefully it will have some positive affects.
I was also given rectogesic by my GP however I felt I could only use this for 2 weeks due to the pressure I felt in my back passage when using this. It was more uncomfortable using if i'm honest, It felt like I contantly wanted to go to the loo and I also felt very tense in my back passage. I've since stopped using this but wanted to ask how long it took you when using this to see any improvement as I may re-visit and try perservering.
fedup.com

Re: Do not give up.

Postby cshell » 29 Nov 2012, 11:55

Sorry about the delay in replying but do not log on that often. This last time it took about 7 weeks using twice a day before I felt any improvement then it all seemed to improve at once. I have been told its one of the best things to use. All I can say is persevere! I wish you all the best it will improve.
cshell

Topics: 1