Fistula Surgery

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Re: Fistula Surgery

Postby Diamond » 08 Nov 2012, 19:02

Arpita - that's an excellent post. Really wish I had read something like that before I freaked myself out and put off my surgery! :) Anyway - now I'm 3 weeks post-op and doing relatively okay.
It sounds like we were in a similar situation - I had 2 fistulas - one fully laid open and the other one partially laid open. The surgeon placed a seton in the high fistula. I was told that I need to leave it in for a few months and then my surgeon will re-vist options from there. She did mention that there are some options that only require a local anesthetic. I didn't have much time with her to ask her which procedures she was referring to.
I have a few questions for you:
*How long was your seton in before they attempted the plug repair?
*Do you know why it failed?
*Do you know what they'll be attempting next - or will they just place a seton in and wait a little while longer?
I'm trying to stay positive - but in the back of my head I'm just a lil stressed about what's to come next!
Diamond
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby giviti » 04 Dec 2012, 06:43

Good luck to all with their anal problems. I guess like most of you I thought that piles were the worst thing that can happen - then I was rushed to hospital and operated on for the draining of an abcess. Turns out their's more.
Things have been painfull - especially immediately after surgery when I was in serious pain and desperate to pee and couldn't. I was put under again and next time I woke that problem had been sorted. I was in hospital for five days after the operation and received regular doses of anti-biotics pumped into me from a drip.
Initial healing seemed to go well and the nurses ceased packing my drain after about ten days. There had been no home visits - instead I had to drive around the out-lying surgeries to get a nurse to change my dressing daily.
About 10 weeks down the line infection set in and now after twelve weeks I appear to be back where I started plus the additional problem of the infection. I am due to return to hospital on 18th Dec to start all over again.
A really major issue in my opinion is the lack of information passed on to the patient. I read other posters writing of discussing things with their consulant(s). I have yet to meet my consultant and yes I am dealing with his well-meaning junior associates but there seems to be a reluctance to pass on information that would help clarify the nature of my problem and inform me how best to deal with after-care.
Like the previous poster I am trying to stay positive but I am more than a little stressed about what happens next.
giviti

Topics: 1

Postby ajl1239 » 20 Dec 2012, 18:09

Hey guys,
Fistula diagnosed today -- after a prior GP misdiagnosed as a fissure, and then another misdiagnosed as a 'wart'. I'm taking levaquin (Rx) now, for the infection/inflamation (although my CRS said he did not see any infection...). I had plans to move on in life as of January. Can anyone tell me or suggest a surgical technique that will provide the shortest healing time? I have an MRI next Friday so the surgeon can determine if it will involve cutting muscle or not -- I'm terrified of incontinence.
Any experience with collagen fistula plug surgery and the like?
ajl1239
Salt Bather

Topics: 31

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?