I wished my surgeon would put in a seton

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

I wished my surgeon would put in a seton

Postby thefer74 » 26 Dec 2012, 21:29

Hi
I know that this sounds strange but I have to wonder if I would be in less pain if they did a seton. Instead, they laid open the fistula, repaired the fissure, removed the hemmhoroids and abscess about a week ago today. The first 3 days were extremely painful. Then I got about 2 really good days with pain around BM's. Today, the pain picked up to where it was right after surgery. It feels like another abscess because of the intensive pain, pressure, and burning, swelling right above the anus. I spent the majority of the day in the hot tub and on pain meds. I finished the antibiotics this morning.
As luck would have it, my surgeon is on vacation. I was told to call him on his cell phone, which I did and he wants me to get in to see one of the surgeon he works with on some cases. Or find another surgeon or visit the ER (last place I will want to go). I couldn't get ahold of the surgeon he is suggesting, then I fell asleep. Other surgeons won't see me because they didn't do the surgery.
What is the typical recovery? What can I expect? I almost wished that he would have put a seton in instead of it laying it flat. He pretty much extended my fissure to outside the body. It feels like one long cut. The pain has been very intense. Is this normal?
thanks
Jennifer
thefer74
Salt Bather

Topics: 22

Re: I wished my surgeon would put in a seton

Postby richibeno » 27 Dec 2012, 11:23

Hi Jen when I had my abscess it felt as if I had been kicked really hard in the bum as you said just above The anus 'im 16 days post fistultomy first 5 days were great ,getting some more Sachs and pains now maybe all the nerves are connecting again Christmas diet has downed me no favours feels sore even has a little blood on a stool first blood since day one hopes its only a minor setback
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby thefer74 » 27 Dec 2012, 21:51

Hi
I saw the surgeon's colleague today. He did exam me which was very painful. I showed him the green/yellow pus on the gauze. Everything looks good but there is some indication of another infection and alot of swelling. So, I am back on antibiotics for another week.
My original surgeon called me this afternoon to check on me as he was worried about me. I told him what his colleague said. He agreed that I had a lot of work done on top of dealing with an infection/abscess before surgery. I asked him if the pain would not be as bad if he did a seton. He agreed it would be less work, less pain. He was trying to avoid a 2nd surgery (which he knows I don't want). This meant that this surgery was more intensive. If I did the seton, the pain would be less but I would be having a 2nd surgery in March. I guess I really didn't know going into surgery what he was going to do. I think the level of pain caught me off guard. He told me to expect a 4-8 week recovery, but the pain should be lessen by the 2nd week. He thinks I will be able to go back to work on Jan 7th.
thanks
Jennifer
I have to wonder how much of my diet affects pain. I know that the pizza, I had the other day caused alot of pain. I have avoided nuts and anything spicy or acidity.
thefer74
Salt Bather

Topics: 22

Postby richibeno » 28 Dec 2012, 11:02

Yep pizza is a big no no like crusty bread 'crisps also no good for me '
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28