Just had anal fissure surgery, advice needed..

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Just had anal fissure surgery, advice needed..

Postby Lauren12 » 21 Dec 2012, 08:16

Yay! :)
You'll probaby find your bowel habit reverts to normal now. You might want to carry on with the Movicol however, just to ensure regular soft stools during the healing period. I used both Movicol and Lactulose until I was completely healed and then gradually phased out both. 20 months on I rely just on prune juice and a healthy diet for regular, soft stools. The thing about Lactulose and Movicol together though is I found it produced laaaarge stools on occasion - a big quantity. It was all soft, but the volume in itself was a problem when so much flowed past the anus, so you might want to experiment to find what quantity of each produces the optimal bowel habit. Movicol on its own might be OK, who knows.
I take it if you're off Christmas shopping the pain is down? I hope so. :)
Keep an eye on the purple lump and contact surgeon/go to GP if you're concerned.
Hope you have a great Christmas. :)
Lauren12
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 21 Dec 2012, 11:41

Hi all,
Comfortablynumb - All the best in your recovery and I also had a "purple" swelling lump, which turned out to be a slightly inflamed external haemmorhoid. (Painful too as Lauren advises - but generally go down pretty quickly) This is extremely common after surgery as is other areas of swelling and bruising in your inner bum cheeks!!! Having just undergone an EUA, I couldn't believe the large black bruise they gifted me with following the procedure!!!!.......
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Ever the Optimist » 21 Dec 2012, 11:43

Hi all,
Comfortablynumb - All the best in your recovery and I also had a "purple" swelling lump, which turned out to be a slightly inflamed external haemmorhoid. (Painful too as Lauren advises - but generally go down pretty quickly) This is extremely common after surgery as is other areas of swelling and bruising in your inner bum cheeks!!! Having just undergone an EUA, I couldn't believe the large black bruise they gifted me with following the procedure!!!!.......
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby comfortablynumb » 29 Dec 2012, 14:11

Update!
Its been 10 days since my LIS surgery, Im pleased to say that im fully recovered and feel Im completely cured!
The first few days were the worst after the LIS but now i can go the toilet and NO BLOOD, NOT PAINFUL, NO 7 HOUR INTENSE PAIN AFTER TOILET......
ITS AMAZING! Now i can start 2013 without having to revolve my life around having a poo! I cant tell you how happy I am!! I put up with it for 7 months, I know people have suffered longer than this I really do urge you to get this surgery done. Try not to pay much attention to all the horrid stories you hear on the internet, the surgery worked wonders for me. :D
I will continue to ensure my poo is kept soft by eating healthier and also taking the stool softeners.
Just to add - The reason i got a fissure is due to taking creatine supplements. Im a bodybuilder and bought a protein shake which contained creatine, creatine absorbs water from the body and sends it to the muscles to help you lift heavier and also to give the muscles a fuller look. Its advised you drink lots of water while on creatine - I never! and thus resulting a straining when going the loo.
So if theres any other gym buddies on here then make sure you drink LOTS and LOTS of water (which i guess we should be doing anyway)
Thanks everyone for your support on here, i will stick around for a while.
PAul
comfortablynumb
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby Neen » 30 Dec 2012, 09:47

glad you are feeling well, congrats!
Neen
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby peelie1970 » 22 Jan 2013, 19:05

Hi, im 9hrs post op for fissure fistula laying open and the pain is immense now. Im taking lactulose, paracetamol 500mg and ibuprfen 400mg. Im in the uk. Any advice??
Thanks
Neil
peelie1970
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Anya324 » 24 Jan 2013, 23:21

peelie1970 wrote:Hi, im 9hrs post op for fissure fistula laying open and the pain is immense now. Im taking lactulose, paracetamol 500mg and ibuprfen 400mg. Im in the uk. Any advice??
Thanks
Neil

You should post this alone on its own thread, peelie :) it'll get more hits and you'll get better advise.
I know nothing about fistulas but what I do know is anal surgery is the pits! I've had 5.... Anyway, (I'm not a dr, btw) I would suggest taking the pain meds 15 mins or so before the rx time. That way it's in your system before the last dose wears off. Do sitz baths (if youre allowed-again, not sure about the fistulas) as often as you can tolerate them. You can try ice down there too but I will say it didnt help me for my fissurectomy with LIS. It seemed to exasserabate my discomfort. But everyone's different so give it a shot. Also, I LOVE NyQuil. I take it often at night to help with aches and pains and, obviously, to sleep. What I do is make my 11pm dose the NyQuil instead of the narcotic and take the NSAID with it. You don't want to mix the narcotic and the NyQuil cuz it's too much acetaminophen. Now, with everything your taking for pain you must remember to take the stool softeners, laxatives etc and drink as much water as you can imagine. I'd also recommend laying off red meat for the next month cuz it's crazy hard to digest and you risk it coming out like a brick instead if like soft serve Image Hope all that helps!
Anya324
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?