Any questions to ask my surgeon?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Any questions to ask my surgeon?

Postby Fissulyna » 15 Nov 2007, 12:51

I would ask how often he performs LIS, and what is his record regarding success.
Also - what instruments he uses (scalpel, scissors or cauter ) and why he choses one above the other ? Does he always works with same team (nurses , anesthesiologyst, etc. )?
I will probably have my LIS in January , so I know how you feel ...
Best of luck,
:arwen: :linus:
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Guest » 15 Nov 2007, 13:15

I would ask about pain management during and after surgery. That was my biggest concern when I had my hernia repair over the Summer.

I would also have some milk of magnesia and miralax to help counteract constipation that can result from narcotics. I skipped the narcotics and asked for Ketoprofen which is a very strong NSAID that can only be given for 10 days at a time because it can cause kidney damage if taken too long. I don't know if I recommend that though because of the risk and it didn't control my pain very well the first few days. But I was so terrified of reinjuring my fissure.

Postby Guest » 15 Nov 2007, 13:53

Thanks for the replies :D
I've made a new post in general, it's all got a bit confusing now Image

Postby happyass » 15 Nov 2007, 21:15

i remember the days when i also felt it would possibly be better having a colostomy bag rather than going thru this bullshit pain day in and day out!!!!
macrobiotics is what i keep telling everyone to try. it's hard but there is a lot out there that you can do. my signature on my posts will give you a UK website for macrobiotics = all levels. you can find someone to help you there.
good luck.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74