3 LIS surgeries and another setback.. Anyone else??

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

3 LIS surgeries and another setback.. Anyone else??

Postby lis2012 » 31 Dec 2012, 08:52

I've just had my 3rd LIS and I can feel scar tissue & abscess forming again.. Same problem every time... So tired of it.. :( I thought it was healing ok this time: first week very little pain (zero pain starting day #4), healthy diet, sitz baths x3/day... Now its week #2, still no pain but I can feel scar tissue (& most likely abscess) forming. I'm getting a hard lump on the inside & another one on the outside.. gross, i know...
It seems that LIS has been the cure for most of the people in this forum, but I was wondering if anyone had to get 2nd or 3rd LIS? Any advice from those who healed ok the first time?
I eat healthy diet, take stool softeners, sitz baths x3/day, shower & dry off well after each bath/bm. My surgeon says that that's just how i heal, nothing i can do to prevent it..
lis2012

Topics: 1

Re: 3 LIS surgeries and another setback.. Anyone else??

Postby suzyljank » 31 Dec 2012, 10:29

Hi, sorry you're having so much trouble. I'm really surprised your surgeon performed a 3rd LIS. It's hard to find one that will do a second one. I had LIS 4 years ago and it didn't work. Generally when LIS fails the next step is an advancement flap surgery. That's what I'm facing now. You have too much scar tissue and your butt can't stretch anymore. When it tries to there's pain and tearing, it a vicious cycle. The advancement flap is used because it's brand new tissue in the area around the opening. The way it was explained to me is that they scrape all the scar tissue from the fissure, cover it with the new tissue and stitch it into the opening of the anus making it larger and easier to pass stool. They do not recommend removing skin tags or anything that could cause more scar tissue to form. I've read some stories about it here and they frankly scared the heck out of me but I've been lucky enough to find someone from another site who had the surgery and we exchanged numbers and we've talked. She kept all her notes from her procedure and read them to me. While it's a longer recovery she told me it was finally what helped her and for her it was her last option. She told me if she had to do it over again she would in a minute. Talk to your surgeon about this procedure if you can and take care of yourself. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic