LIFT Procedure

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIFT Procedure

Postby Diamond » 07 Jan 2013, 14:25

I haven't been active on this site for a while - decided I needed to take a "mental" break from constantly reading about fistulas and fissures :) I am now almost 3 months post-surgery. I had two openings (two fistula tracts) and had 2 fistulotomies done with a seton placement in the tract that went through my muscle.
I just got back from my followup visit with my surgeon. She said everything looks like it's healing okay and said I no longer need any nurse visits or packing. Both wounds are very shallow. I still have drainage from the seton (both blood and pus, but mostly blood).
She recommended trying the LIFT procedure to close off the fistula tract. She did mention it only has a 50% success rate and if it doesn't work I will need a seton placed again. I still get some blood from the superficial fistula - and she thinks that's because it's still "communicating" with the more serious one. I am being scheduled for an MRI, with another followup appointment in about 6 weeks. She wanted to give me time to think about the LIFT surgery - when I go back in I can then book the surgery. I'm already dreading the MRI -- I have major issues with confined spaces!
I was doing really well with recovery and getting my life back on track. Most days I forget that I'm living with this problem - but now all of a sudden I'm in a total blah mood - and keep thinking "fml"! Image
Any advice about the LIFT procedure and recovery would be really appreciated!
I can't find much on it online and would like to know what to expect prior to committing to it.
This site is like my personal shrink :)
Diamond
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Re: LIFT Procedure

Postby richibeno » 07 Jan 2013, 14:38

Hey diamond good to hear from you
Glad to see your healing well '
I don't know about the lift procedure'how deep or high is the main fistula '
It depends how you feel could you have a cutting Seton to bring the fistula down to a level where he could do a fistulotomy again '
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby Diamond » 07 Jan 2013, 15:20

Hey Richi - How are you feeling?
The surgeon doesn't want to cut through the muscle as there is a risk of incontinence. She said it's riskier in women actually.. something I didn't know! So I would rather play it safe. I guess let's see what the MRI shows her? I know the LIFT procedure doesn't work for everyone but somehow I will have to stay positive and go into it hoping it will actually work for me.
Diamond
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby richibeno » 07 Jan 2013, 15:28

Hey Diamond .I'm not to bad getting a dull acky pain sometimes .may be the muscle he cut .hope it improves .saw my cars on Friday said all look OK healing OK .my fistula was higher than first thought .had to cut a little internal sphincter muscle as and a couple of strands of extetnal muscle .
richibeno
VIP

Postby Diamond » 10 Feb 2013, 16:42

Does anyone out there have any advice on the LIFT procedure? I had a MRI done earlier this week and will be seeing my surgeon tomorrow to discuss my options. I am feeling okay for the most part but have to wear gauze and liners all the time as I have bleeding from both wounds. It's not painful, sometimes my seton is sore - it's just more of an annoyance now.
My surgeon mentioned that the two wounds appear to be communicating with each other - which is why she wanted to explore further with the MRI.
I'm pretty certain she will want to book me for the LIFT surgery. It's a pretty new technique so I can't find much on it - I have an idea of what it's involved - but I'm desperate for any tips on recovery and how to prep for it.
Diamond
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby richibeno » 10 Feb 2013, 17:10

Hey diamond
Look up anya 324 she has had a similar procedure
Glad your doing OK hope it all gets sorted for you're
I'm no to bad still feel achy get a zing now and then
Hdc thee surgeon look the other day said it looks OK but the day after I had an external hemmi say hello '
Got to makes sure I stay on a good diet to had white bread rolls the other day and ij can feel it now
richibeno
VIP

Postby Diamond » 10 Feb 2013, 18:40

Hey Richi - Glad to hear you're okay overall! Did they say why the hemorrhoid happened? I'm not too familiar with
them.
I'll look up Anya - do you have a link to a forum discussion on this?
I just wish I could put all this behind me! I can't even make vacation plans freely or anything - just feel like I'm in limbo. I'm trying to stay mentally strong and take it in stages - and keep reminding myself it could be a lot worse! But, sometimes it's just tough :)
Diamond
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Savaici » 10 Feb 2013, 22:02

Hi Diamond,
Here are two links, one for saskiamom and one Anya324. Hope they will be of some help. Good luck with your appointment tomorrow!
http://anal-fissure.org/t5858-advancement-flap-aka-analplasty-complete
http://anal-fissure.org/t4455-new-to-the-group-fistula-surgery-experience
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Diamond » 10 Feb 2013, 22:14

thanks - i'll check them out.
Diamond
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby richibeno » 11 Feb 2013, 02:30

thanks diamond
hope savaici links give you some good info ,
yes i think when he examined me he may have caught a vein which swelleda bit hope it settles down in a week or so think it a bit tender in the whole area still
richibeno
VIP