How do you decide if something works for you?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

How do you decide if something works for you?

Postby MrWonderful » 09 Jan 2013, 16:58

Hi,
I am new here, you can read my intro in this thread. Over the time I have tried a lot of different things, I have quiet a technical attitude try to think rational and analytically. My results after 4 years of experiments: I have absolutely no idea what is good for me and what isnt.
In some stretches I would only eat veggies, drink lots of whater and do everything that is supposed to be good and have horrible problems with the fissure. In other occasions I have a party weekend where I drink for 3 nights in a row and only eat junk food and feel fine. On the long run I do eat quiet healthy and do lots of sports, that seems to help, but generally I feel like I dont really know anything about what works for me.
How long do you guys try something before you say it works or it doesnt work? How often do you re-try it? Sometimes and ointment can worsen things, and then 3 months later it might work like a miracle. How do you deal with that?
Looking forward to getting some tipps on that.
Cheers,
MrWonderful
MrWonderful

Topics: 2

Re: How do you decide if something works for you?

Postby jr2 » 09 Jan 2013, 21:33

I so hear you, Mr. W.
I have a whole kit full of ointments and medications, dietary supplements, various stool softeners, etc. Over the last year and a half I have settled on a few things I do every day because they seem consistently to be helpful, and then other things I rotate in and out. It's really hard for me to say how long I give any new thing a try because it really depends on what it is I'm trying out. I guess I just kind of go with my intuition at this point?
I can say that when it comes to topical things, it doesn't take me very long to know if it is worthwhile to keep using it or rotate it out and then back in or abandon it completely. I've tried dozens of things and have it down to a few favorites.
With diet changes, that's more delicate because I have severe digestive problems. I have no choice but to be very very strict about my diet. Even with all the care I take with my diet I still have a lot of problems.
I don't know if that answers what you were asking, but there is a lot of art combined with science with my approach, and even with all that I'm still not free of this problem..
Welcome to the board! There are so many great suggestions from some great friends here!
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby marg6043 » 10 Jan 2013, 13:57

Mr. wonderful, I call it taking one day at the time, when dealing with fissures and after the conventional treatment doesn't work it becomes a trial basis issue, anything just to get relief for a few days.
But sadly like jr2 I have a bag full of wonder creams and oils that are nothing but promises.
In my case I just enjoy the good days because they are not many of them.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby delasama » 13 Jan 2013, 14:33

i have had blood in stool and pain for 3 months and even went to doc. he poked around in there and didnt feel anything. said it could be a fissure. he prescribed me suppositories and told me to drink metamucil three times a day. i stopped using the suppositories after a couple days, because i heard they dont really help and they can iritate or thin the skin after a week. after the doctor visit i drank a cup of metamucil and started a diet consisting of soft things such as activia yogurt, v8 fusion juices, fish, lots of fruits and avacados with italian dressing, quino,applesauce,egg whites, brown beans,whole grain bread and lots of raw honey...the same evening i saw the doctor i had a soft dinner and caffine free tea and the next morning i pooped and it was bloody and hurt. that evening i pooped and it was softer and no blood. its been 3 days since and i poop 2-4 times a day and no blood in three days.it still hurts after pooping, but i think its trying to heal. between the metamucil three times a day and lots of water and caffine free tea and the soft diet with lots of activia,fruit,green veggies(asparagus spears,brokly with cheese...)v8 fusion juices,fish,apple sauce, bran flakes cereal with bannnannas, chicken salad, potato salad, lentil veggie soup,brown beans, baby spinage salad with olive oil based dressing... the main thing is to drink metamucil and keep soft diet so stool is soft! you might use toilet more and angel gas alot but its better than pooping blood!!sitting on your butt or standing in one spot for a while is bad too. take one hot bath a day also to help blood flow down there. if u have to sit alot then buy a donut cushion from walgreens or somewhere. they are like 20 bucks. they have a hole in the middle and relieve pressure (great for in car!) ~i hope this heals u. p.s. one hard poop restarts the healing process, so dont eat red meats or plain chicken...
delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31

Postby MrWonderful » 14 Jan 2013, 16:54

Thank you all for these responses. I find it interesting you also seem to experience problems in finding any pattern.
@delasama: Good to hear what is currently working for you. Though, you are relatively new to this problem. If you have had this for a couple of years and you do not find anything that actually helps, you will get less tolerant in accepting to go to the loo 2-4 times a day, and eating such an overdose of fibre since it does reduce the quality of life even further. As I said, for me I cannot prove that eating chicken or red meat (in moderation) has a bad effect, so why should I quit eating it? There is good nutrition in these meats.
Thats why I am so interested in seeing how people find out what works for them. After a certain point, you dont see the point of doing these extreme diets to you anymore, if there is no clear pattern of improvement.
MrWonderful

Topics: 2