My new routine

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

My new routine

Postby GGky1959 » 23 Jan 2013, 14:06

Unlike most here, I can't afford the surgery and its obvious this thing, this nightmare isn't going to end soon, so I've decided to adopt after reading so much here a new routine......
I sit on my bum all day at work, so I've adopted the doughtnut pad to start, hopefully this will work....just for the record, I'm off on T-W, so tommorrow will began the task......
I'm now an avid bean eater, although I do love beans, they are now apart of my life forever..... I'm gonna start the coconut oil and the aloe vera (got that from another web site), its very cooling. I drink so much water I'm about to drown. I'm eating soft veggies, no more hard food, sweets are out and I'm on the fiber kick. Yesterday, I came here, today I'm a learned woman. I'm still dreading my morning poop, I can feel the razors wanting to emerge, but I'm thinking positive and ready to do my nightly sitz bath afterwards..I just have one quick question....yesterday I spent the whole day here crying my eyes out because I was in so much pain. I normally take Aleve which is the best pain meds ever....but I had left them at work, so I suffered. How do you get your anus muscles to relax again? I spent the whole day in pain after my morning BM. Is there a technique that I should be made aware of?
Guys thank you so much for this site and all the info......with fingers crossed and God I hope I can someday once again enjoy sitting on porcelain without wishing I was dead.
GGky1959
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 25

Re: My new routine

Postby jr2 » 23 Jan 2013, 16:38

GGKY
That's the million dollar question when you have fissures. First off, I'm so sorry you've joined the fissure club, but happy that you've found this group as there is a lot of great info. and support to be found here.
How to get the anus to relax... Problem is, the internal anal sphincter is not under voluntary control. It is spasming in response to the fissure. In essence, the body is trying to protect the wound, but is really doing more damage to hinder its healing in the process. So, yes, the goal is to get the muscles to relax, but how...
1. Warm sitz baths... I prefer sitting in the bathtub, but a lot of people use a sitz basin that fits over the toilet. Warm baths help relax the muscle and bring circulation to the area.
2. A topical cream that requires a prescription such as nitroglycerin, nifedipine, or diltiazem. These medicines, compounded by a pharmacist, help to relieve the spasm, and promote blood flow to the area.
3. Gentle touch and using a gloved finger with something like olive oil, coconut oil, aloe vera, or anything else that is soothing. At first you might only be able to rest the finger on the outside of the anal muscle, but eventually if you breathe very deeply into your lower abdomen, and gently use your finger you can feel the muscle begin to "give". If you can get to a point where you are getting a finger in there and just leaving it in there for a few minutes at a time, you will find the pain decreasing as the muscle gives way.
4. Surgery. Cuts the sphincter muscle to force it to relax in order to allow the fissure to heal. Standardized anal dilatation is another option to achieve sphincter relaxation.
You've already discovered that dietary modifications are essential. Everyone has to experiment with what works for them. Going overboard on fiber can be counterproductive as it can bulk stools too much, causing the anus to overstretch. Most people with fissures as bad as yours find they need to add a stool softener such as Colace or Miralax to get a soft enough stool without causing more damage. The idea is to have soft enough stool to pass without any straining, and without overstretching the anus. Putting your feet up on a step stool while you are on the toilet can really help get the muscles to open up and relax during a bowel movement.
Kerping the area clean is essential for healing. No more dry toilet paper, ever again. Either moisten the toilet paper thoroughly with water or find a gentle brand of baby wipes. If you are at home, a sitz bath after a BM will help relax the muscle and clean the area.
You can also coat the anal canal with a layer of Vaseline just before a BM to help with a smoother passage over the fissure.
We all know the tears, the pain, the desperation. This is a wicked affliction to live with. But you've come to the right place for all things fissure!
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby GGky1959 » 23 Jan 2013, 17:40

Thanks Jr2.....I have come to the right place...thank God!!
GGky1959
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby PIA » 24 Jan 2013, 00:09

What a lovely summary Jr2..my you have a way with words. Image Here's to your first wonderful pain free moment and may they multiply GGky. Xx Pia Image
PIA
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby delasama » 24 Jan 2013, 10:45

i might try putting two chairs by toilet and do the standing squat thing next time i have to go. bombs away!
delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31

Postby GGky1959 » 24 Jan 2013, 17:33

delasama wrote:i might try putting two chairs by toilet and do the standing squat thing next time i have to go. bombs away!

Lucky for me my tub and sink are beside the toilet and when its time to go, I brace myself and grab the tub and the sink simultaneously just to bear down for the pain....but at work, its a whole different ballgame....last week I was so loud, the alarm went off (smile)....just kidding!! I don't go at work...no matter what. I couldn't bear it.
GGky1959
Proctosphincteranalogist