Heading to have anal dilitation

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Heading to have anal dilitation

Postby Badd825 » 25 Jan 2013, 06:02

Hi all. I'm in the car on the way to get anal dilitation and fissurectomy
I'm hopeful this does the trick as I've tried everything except LIS
Suffering for almost 14 months. I'm promised this won't be anywhere near
As bad as hemorrhoidectomy I had in August so fingers crossed. I will update how it goes. We need more options than just cutting!
Badd825
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Re: Heading to have anal dilitation

Postby delasama » 25 Jan 2013, 09:08

im sure it will heal you over time :)keep us posted!
delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 25 Jan 2013, 13:17

What's the big deal with cutting? It's a tiny cut.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby delasama » 25 Jan 2013, 13:23

have you had surgery?(thisfissurecankissmybutt)
delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31

Postby jr2 » 25 Jan 2013, 19:14

Wishing you all the best with your surgery and recovery, Badd825.
I hope your postoperative period is uneventful and you have minimal discomfort as you heal.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 25 Jan 2013, 19:37

Hi delasama:
Yes (LIS and fistula repair) and it was a breeze. The cut is very small and the success rate is very high. Almost every other surgery has a larger incision.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Badd825 » 26 Jan 2013, 07:13

I had thrombosed hemorrhoids cut in December 2011. I never healed. Had hemorrhoidectomy in August which trust me is worse than giving birth which I've done twice naturally. I've had fissure symptoms all along but no one could see a fissure until after I had the hemorrhoids removed. Now a fissure was detectable. I've been through Botox ( which was torture since I was awake) and all the ointments. I didn't relish anymore cuts no matter how small. I'm happy that you had an easy recovery but that wasnt the case for me following any of the surgical procedures I've had to date. I'm doing well. Had the procedure done and I'm no more sore than my usual fissure pain. I'm incontinent to gas but I'm hoping that's temporary. I took one toradol yesterday which is an NSAID. Haven't taken anymore as I'm used to the pain I'm in. I hope this works for me and I do think a little permanent cut in your anus is a big deal but that's my opinion after what I've been through. I think there needs to be more options available. I will keep you all updated. I hope healing for all
Badd825
Salt Bather

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 26 Jan 2013, 08:00

Well, there are other options - they're just not as effective as LIS (which is why LIS is considered the gold standard by nearly all reputable colorectal surgeons in the treatment of chronic fissures).
In addition, you can't compare the tiny incision used in LIS to the extensive cutting in hemorrhoid surgery.
That's my opinion, anyway.
In any case, I hope you find permanent healing.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby suzyljank » 26 Jan 2013, 09:33

Hi, Bad hope your procedure works for you. I fully understand where you are coming from. Cutting in the anal area can be quite helpful to resolve an issue but it does come with risks. One of the biggest and least talked about is scar tissue and no matter how skilled a surgeon is you can't escape scar tissue. For most it's no problem but for some it's what started their fissure in the first place. It's the number one complaint after hemmie surgery. It's always wise to weigh your options and get more than one medical opinion. LIS, is a good procedure that works for most people, I'm one of the unlucky ones, it didn't help me. Dilitaion is also a good option but not used much in this country anymore. I guess you have to find what works for you. Hope you recovery quickly and can get back to a full life without the worry of you bum. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Badd825 » 26 Jan 2013, 10:04

I think dilitation will regain popularity once more studies are available. The doctor I saw is working on one but he's too busy to pursue fully. It fell out of favor in this country because it was done manually and there was little control over how much the operator dilated the anus. I asked my crs about it and he said he didn't do it because he didn't know enough about it and there aren't any studies in this country other than Dr. Sohn's who created the dilators. I also believe that surgeons are trained to cut and non surgical procedures are not at the forefront of their treatment plan. If this doesn't work I'll have LIS but I figured with an 86% success rate it was worth a shot. Ironically there was a magazine in the reception area that had 50 secrets your surgeon won't tell you. One of the things is "practically all surgeons have an inherent financial conflict of interest" they are paid 10 times more money to perform surgery. Why would surgeons take time away from their practice to learn a new technique that would ultimately bring in less income? I really like my crs. He was very caring and called me to check on me. I trusted him completely when I had the exam under anesthesia. When I woke up he had done hemorrhoidectomy and 6 months later I'm still suffering. He now recommends LIS. I was less than confident. I'm hopeful this work for me and pray for everyone who suffers with this problem. Who would think a small cut in the butt could hurt so much!
Badd825
Salt Bather