New to Forum and Desperate for Help :(

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New to Forum and Desperate for Help :(

Postby GG » 27 Jan 2013, 13:38

I have developed a fissure, maybe more than one, and I am in so much pain. My doctor prescribed nitroglycerin cream but I am terrified to use it because of the possible side effects from it getting into my blood stream. The thought of it lowering my blood pressure and possibly not being able to breathe or passing out scares me. What does the cream do that would cause those things to happen? Desperate for relief but scared. Help! Also, how do I apply it?
GG
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: New to Forum and Desperate for Help :(

Postby delasama » 27 Jan 2013, 14:57

you should use it. it is very unlikely you have a side effect.it should have directions how to use it. compared to the fissure pain im sure the rare side effects are nothing. people have been on morphine because of fissure. take what your doctor gave you.
delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31

Postby Savaici » 27 Jan 2013, 18:10

Hello GG, and welcome to the forum! Not fun to have to be here but there is a lot of info on just about anything to do with AFs, and many helpful members.
When it comes to the Nitro, this should only be in a very low percentage (0.4% max) and is not the same as what is given for Angina, for example. If your doctor gave you a stronger dose, then I would not use it. My GP did that for me...
So, I would concur with delasama, and try what your doctor suggested. Just try a tiny bit at first (watch that you don't let it stay on your fingers, use a finger cote as you can have affects from it through any part of your skin). The only side effects I have heard of have been headaches.
Good luck. Image
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Jessjess » 27 Jan 2013, 19:29

The nitro will heal the fissure by stopping the internal sphincter muscle from spasming. Ask your doctor how long you should use it. I made the mistake of stopping mine after a couple of weeks and the fissure came back. Don't be afraid of the medication.
If you take about in an inch of ointment, put it on the end of your pinky finger and stick it up inside your anus so much that you can wiggle your finger a bit, about an inch. This will reach the internal muscle. Immediatly wash your finger, or better use a gloved finger to do this. You might get a headached if your finger is not gloved. Use the ointment twice a day after a bm.
And continue to use the stool softeners for a week even after you think it has healed. Or you might want to ask your doctor about the duration for the stool softener.
I am not a doctor, but I would not want you going through the pain again like I am. I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow so I can try to get in to see a CRS as soon as possible. I have been dealing with this going on 4 weeks and I'm about out of my mind! Image
Hope this helps and good luck!
Jessjess
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby Jessjess » 27 Jan 2013, 19:35

One more thing...I have been alternating between taking hydrocodone and motrin. The motrin is just barely helping with the pain, but the hydrocodone is working. I can't take as much as I would like, because of the constipating effects. I just make sure that I take the stool softeners and drink a couple of gallons of water a day! Just a suggestion for the pain.
I WISH I could be admitted to the hospital with a morphine drip!
Jessjess
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5