Anyone healed lrg fissure that has scar tissue/raised edges?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Anyone healed lrg fissure that has scar tissue/raised edges?

Postby ring of fire » 28 Jan 2013, 11:08

Has anyone had any success healing a large, deep fissure that has raised edges? I think the raised edges are scar tissue since the fissure has been there so long. Skin tags also present.
If you have had success getting rid of one of those buggers, please reply!
ring of fire
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Re: Anyone healed lrg fissure that has scar tissue/raised edges?

Postby suzyljank » 28 Jan 2013, 11:27

Hi, sorry about your fissure. The raised edges could be scar tissue. I'm not a doctor but I have a similar situation. While you may be able to heal the fissure, if you've had it a long time and enough scar tissue is present the chances that it stays healed aren't good. The doctor told me it's because of the accumulated scar tissue. It doesn't stretch. When you have a bm you have to be able to stretch to pass the stool so if you over stretch even a little you could retear. It's frustrating, I can do well for a few weeks and then bam, I'm back to square one. I had LIS but it wasn't enough. Hope your situation is better than mine is and you are able to heal. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby ring of fire » 28 Jan 2013, 13:25

Wow, your situation sounds nearly identical to mine. I have had this since I was a teen on and off for over 20 years now. I had LIS and it seemed to make things worse for me. That was in 2010 but it was done in Spain and the surgeon did not specialize in this type of surgery. I have assumed that is why I'm worse now than before LIS.
What have you been told are your options? I have a few good weeks, even a couple of months, and then if I get sick or the slightest hard stool...back to daily pain. The pain can be so horrible. I need resolution and healing!
ring of fire
Salt Bather

Postby suzyljank » 28 Jan 2013, 13:32

Hi, my only option now is an advancement flap. They scrap out the fissure and take fresh skin from the area and fold it over into the anas, stitch it in place and let it heal. The new skin is able to stretch again. I was told they do it on one side and if that isn't enough they have the option to do the other side at another time. They only thing that is keeping me from the surgery is the pain, but there have been a few people on this site that have had it and the outcome was really good. Try not to read the horror stories, they will scare the heck out of you. I've had bum problems on and off for over 30 years, the fissure I've had for 5. Hope you find a resolution because this takes over your life. Suzy
suzyljank

Postby jr2 » 28 Jan 2013, 13:48

It isn't an option for everyone, and there is of course no guarantee, but I do know a man who had such severe buildup of scar tissue from a very longstanding deep fissure that he could actually see a ridge in his stool where the scar was indenting it as it passed through. He was scheduled for surgery, but was in so much pain in the meantime he tried using a series of graduated rectal dilators at home to get relief, but what he found was that the pain was diminishing and the area started to heal. He continued on, using vitamin e in the area, and eventually the area was able to stretch again without tearing. He canceled his surgery and hasn't been bothered by any retears for years. But he still maintains the dilating twice a week. He built up over time to using a 1.5 inch dilator, which looks huge to me. There are a few of us who have been doing this at home with some success, but it's slow going because with so much tightness, you really have to start very small and go very slowly with it. It's taken me months just to get to a 3/4 inch dilator, and even that I'm not able to use every time.
I'm only doing this because surgery is not an option for me and my CRS is on board with me on trying this out. I have been suffering with multiple fissures in different locations that come and go for over 20 years, so I too understand the utter frustration and the toll it takes on every part of living.
Wishing you all the best.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby suzyljank » 28 Jan 2013, 13:56

I'm glad that's helping you. I can deal with the burning and spasming to a point but once in a while I get that awful charlie horse feeling up the butt that comes on suddenly and brings you to your knees. The only thing that will help is if I sit on a heating pad or I have a bm. It feels like it comes on when I have to go and the pressure of it pressing on the fissure site sends it into a big spasm. I absolutely hate when that happens. As far as dilation goes my CRS didn't recommend it for me. I have way too much scar tissue from a hemmie surgery years ago and with the failed LIS even more scar tissue. He said you have to chose your battles. Never just jump into a surgery, I've waited 4 years since he gave me that advice and I'm about ready to wave the white flag and get it done. Just need a little more courage. Suzy
suzyljank

Postby ring of fire » 29 Jan 2013, 08:30

Jr, would you say dialating has helped with your fissure pain? Has it ever made it worse? I would def consider if you can pass on some more info...pm if you'd like. thank you!
I ordered some carlson vit E suppositories on drugstore.com and I'm using the nifed. oitment. I am better after 3 weeks, but still suffering. And, I've been better many times before and ended up back in pain. Horrible not being able to plan your life, or even work!
ring of fire
Salt Bather

Postby jr2 » 29 Jan 2013, 10:20

Hi ringoffire
I do a combination of dilation and massage. Dilation to help relax and stretch the area, massage to increase blood flow and keep scarring as minimal as possible (physical therapists have long known that massage helps soften and break up scar tissue). Both of these things have been invaluable for me in living with fissures. I've never made things worse by doing either, but everyone is of course different, and I've learned with fissures there just is so little we can count on! But dilation and massage have only been beneficial for me. It does require a lot of patience, being willing to devote some time, and being in it for the long range and really getting to know your body.  When my fissures are very deep I just go very slowly with my dilation and massage and by adjusting angles and pressure I am able to avoid putting pressure directly on the fissure itself. Once the dilator is actually in, I have no fissure pain at all as the muscle is "unlocked" during that time.
We have a thread here discussing self dilation if you'd like to read through it and join the discussion there.
http://anal-fissure.org/t4261-self-dilation
Here is a link to dilators that come in a range of sizes.
http://www.ssp-inc.com/Products/Pediatric_Anal_Dilators
What size to start at is a tough call and depends on your own degree of tension in the area. A good benchmark is to begin with your finger. (i use gloves to prevent any mishaps with a hangnail!) ... If you can insert an index finger, a starting point with dilators would be approximately 15mm. 
This set goes up to 19mm, and so beyond that there is this option
http://www.cmtmedical.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=409&zenid=rlojh4hlq2ln4ukqf5f1p7o011
Some people have also just visited their local sex shop and purchased dilators from there at less expense, but the selection and size ranges are more limited. But that would work too. 
Also, the Yahoo group for fissures has a Files section where we compiled a file with the stories of several members who successfully cured themselves of fissures with self dilation and how they did it. There are also a couple of active members there performing dilation at home. (myself included).  
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/analfissure/
Hope that helps! If you have any questions, just ask! Feel free to message me any time. I know exactly what you mean about these fissures and the disruption on life. I think it is a highly underestimated affliction by the medical community for the level of pain and the impact it causes.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby ring of fire » 30 Jan 2013, 16:26

Hello again all. I saw a CRS today and she said I have a 50% chance of healing with the nifed. I am really happy with that! She said to apply it just inside to about the first pinky nuckle 3x day for the nxt 8 weeks.
She also said to stop the Miralax and switch to 2 Colace tablets over the next few days.
She recommended probiotics - good ones with multiple strains.
And to add 10 grams of fiber like Metamucil to my diet each day. She was happy with my cutting out the coffee and gave me a list of foods to avoid. I can type it in if anyone asks for it.
Also said to use Calmoseptine ointment on the outside.
Praying for healing and hope that posting this helps someone else.
ring of fire
Salt Bather

Postby richibeno » 30 Jan 2013, 18:14

Hey ring
Could you type in the foods to ad void please
Thank you
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28