How to deal with dressings

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

How to deal with dressings

Postby Triss » 31 Jan 2013, 14:33

This is my first post so hello everyone!
I am due to have fistulotomy in two weeks time that I've been waiting for for a loooong time after my abscess failed to heal. I had lots of problems with dressings and packing when I had my abscess drained and that made me really upset at times. So I wanted to get myself prepared before the second surgery.
The most major problem that I predict I will have is that the dressing will get wet every single time I go for a wee (which is what happened when I had the abscess). I am a girl and I just can't imagine how can it not get wet when the dressing is so close to urethra. How did you girls deal with that?
I am a medical student on a placement in hospital, and that obviously makes everything more difficult if I need to change dressings in hospital toilets when they get wet....so if you have any idea how can I stop this from happening then please please tell me or I will die of anxiety on the way lol
Thank you!
Triss
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: How to deal with dressings

Postby Savaici » 31 Jan 2013, 19:15

Hi Triss, and welcome to the forum!
I have not had this surgery, but one of our members - Ever the Optimist - did have and so thought I'd give you the link to her comments:http://anal-fissure.org/t5024-3rd-day-post-fistulotomy?highlight=Fistulotomy
Hope it might help.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Mamalucia » 02 Feb 2013, 16:36

This may seem a little off the wall BUT have u ever seen the "splash guards" for a small boys training toilet? My suggestion would be to see if they sell them individually or buy a cheap boys training seat even if its just the kind that sits on a regular toilet seat, that way u can get the splash guard. It's small about the size of a child's hand or an adults palm. I'd keep disinfectant wipes in a ziplock bag as well as the splash guard in a separate ziplock bag and when u pee use that as a shield between the urethra and the dressing. When done the dressing will be dry. run the splash guard under water at the sink, then wipe with the disinfectant wipes and dry off then return it to its own ziplock bag. When u get home clean it with bleach and let dry. Best of luck in whatever u figure out.
Mamalucia
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby coconut » 02 Feb 2013, 19:52

go to thepstyle dot com
I'm a new member, so you'll have to enter that as a webpage.
directs the flow and lets you squeegy clean. Once you're healed, you can even use it so that you don't have to sit in public toilets.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Diamond » 10 Feb 2013, 16:34

I haven't really been active on the site for a while now but noticed your question when I logged on today. I went through the same issue post surgery, and I was miserable! I had a nurse come by to do daily packing changes. She covered the wound with sterile gauze squares and then after lots of trial and error we decided to tape the gauze with "Tegaderm tape". I believe you can find this at any drug store - I've seen it at Walmart here. It was a sticky roll of clear tape that could be cut to size. That usually allowed my dressing to stay dry for most of the day. After using the bathroom, I would wipe it with a baby wipe. Hope this helps you out!
Diamond
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby Jessjess » 10 Feb 2013, 16:47

I just had a fissurectomy a few days ago. I know this is not the same as your procedure, yet before I was ready to take the dressing off (same night of procedure), I just scooted my butt back on the toilet seat, leaned forward and let gravity do the rest!
Jessjess
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby Diamond » 10 Feb 2013, 18:37

I would just like to add if you're worried about removing the initial dressing from the hospital - It's best to sit in a sitz bath (or tub) with the dressing on. The warm water will loosen it and it'll fall off itself.
Diamond
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby Triss » 12 Feb 2013, 14:11

Thank you guys so much, I just had the surgery done yesterday (ended up having a seton drain put in...sigh) but I bought something called sheewee, which is similar to the pstyle, so far it's been working fine... Thank you again, I really appreciate!
Triss
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2