Hello. New here and in pain!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Hello. New here and in pain!

Postby rawhide » 04 Feb 2013, 15:05

I have struggled with a fissure for about 20 yrs now. I always thought it was a hemorrhoid and was embarrassed by it and never saw about it until 2010. Found out it was a fissure and what I thought was a hemorrhoid was a skin tag. Got the ointment, you all know the one and it did the trick for a few months so I kept with that and miralax and it was livable. Now the skin tag is a flaming skin bowling ball being stabbed to death with an ice pick so I go back to the doc and he removes it, (pretty painless procedure, dont know why he didnt do it the first time), and that 1 hour of numbness was the first time since I dont when that I felt no pain and completely normal. It was heaven! Now the numbness has worn off and I'm in pain. I have not yet had a bm and am scared to death to eat. I figure if I dont eat I cant have a bm lol. I know thats not realistic but I am scared. Normally I would laugh at the fact that I am scared of my own butt but it would hurt too bad. I have to keep some gauze up there for a little while and thats not comfortable AT ALL.
So, has anyone else had a skin tag removed? If so, how bad was recovering from it? What should I eat? Or just not eat? What helped you?
Thank you:)
rawhide
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Hello. New here and in pain!

Postby marg6043 » 04 Feb 2013, 18:15

I am sorry you having problems with fissures but hey that is why we are here, I also thought that my pain down in the butt was from hems for years, and that the ball of skin hanging from my anal opening was an external hem, to find out after a colonoscopy that I had only one hem and it was internal and very small.
The skin tag or in my case "sentinel pile" is the result of years of chronic fissures but was diagnosed seven months ago finally and the sentinel pile has gotten two times bigger in only one year.
Many people here have their sentinel piles removed after having their fissures fixed and most of the time required stitches depending the size of it.
Some like skin tags can be snipped away with minimal discomfort.
I definitely will have to get mine removed if I decide to get surgery to fix my chronic fissure.
I am glad you doctor took care of yours with minimal invasive procedure, but you have not said if you required stitches after, that will make the area a littler bit sore and painful for a bit, many people experience discomfort for while.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby rawhide » 04 Feb 2013, 18:59

Actually the doc didnt tell me if there were any stitches and I cant tell. It is very painful right now. I think the doc used the word pile and skin tag. Are they not the same? Anyway, he gave me the option of anesthetic but said if I had a high pain tolerance that it would be much cheaper to do it with a local right there in his office which is what I chose. I was surprised that it didnt hurt. I was scared it was really going to since he gave me that option. Anyway, not looking forward to going to the bathroom. I dont know what to eat, and theres probably nothing really that would help, but I ate some brown rice and some pudding. I have my miralax that I'm going to take later too. He really didnt give me any instructions except avoid spicy food.
rawhide
Fibre Addict

Postby marg6043 » 04 Feb 2013, 20:48

Sentinel piles is what is call the excess skin that are at the base of the fissure itself, is a flap of skin that protect the fissure and may look like a hem, it can be very sore, get swollen and usually are removed when the fissure is fixed and requires stitches, they can be quite large and feel like the skin is stretched down there.
A skin tag can be a piece of skin that hangs by a small stem and easy to snip.
Now, make sure you keep yourself from having hard stools, if you are healing, because you just got your procedure done miralax is ok, along with any other creams or instructions your doctor have given.
Now, did your fissure was fixed? along with the removal of the tag?.
marg6043
King Fissure

Postby rawhide » 05 Feb 2013, 01:26

No he didnt fix the fissure. He said we'll see how this goes and see if the fissure can heal now. This thing definitely was not hanging on by a small stem. It was very large. It has been the major source of my pain as of late. I think that there are no stitches. The wound is inside and out, I do know that. It was right at the entrance. That tag or whatever was so big and constantly pulling and tugging with every movement. I just hope it heals quickly. I'm miserable.
rawhide
Fibre Addict

Postby marg6043 » 05 Feb 2013, 07:45

Yes, that sounds like a sentinel pile from chronic fissure, mine is also the source of all my pain down there when it becomes irritated from bms, its hard to wipe without manipulating it.
I am happy you are doing well and hopefully the fissure will heal after, I always feel that the reason my fissure doesn't heal is because that tag, that gets bigger and bigger.
marg6043
King Fissure

Postby rawhide » 05 Feb 2013, 11:44

Well thats what I always thought too. Lets hope we are right! I got a look at it today. Its a big hard lump. I hope that goes down because what was the point? And I can see that there is still alot of extra skin there. Maybe its all just swollen and will go down and look normal again. I havent looked normal in that area since 1996 I think. I still have not had a bm. I thought I had to go a couple of times but nothing so I just hope the miralax is working its magic and I'm not constipated!
rawhide
Fibre Addict

Postby marg6043 » 05 Feb 2013, 12:59

If by the time you read this you still don't have a bm, take two spoonfuls of either mineral oil or coconut oil this will make things slippery when you have your bm and easier to pass.
That is what my doctor recommended to keep the area from getting irritated after bms.
I agree also with you, that area down there it has not been the same for me either since the 80s when I had my first child.
That is when the sentinel pile first show up and thought it was hems from having the baby.
29 years later the pieces are falling in place and now I know that hems were never my problem.
marg6043
King Fissure

Postby rawhide » 05 Feb 2013, 16:17

Thank you for the advice. I did have a small bm and it was actually the least painful bm I have had in good long while. There was alot of blood. When it came to the wiping part however, forget it. I have never stripped so fast. Hand held shower, warm water, aaahhhh. lol. I will try the coconut oil idea since I do have some. I have eaten a little more today already than yesterday, so I'm expecting a larger bm next time. If this thing heals well, I can see how good its going to be. I never thought I would be so happy at the thought of going to the toilet! Thats still the future though. Lets see how this thing heals!
rawhide
Fibre Addict

Postby marg6043 » 05 Feb 2013, 21:19

I am very happy for you rawhide, perhaps things will just get better and better, don't worry about the blood as long as is not too much pain involved, you just have something removed and blood is expected.
Remember to keep the stools soft as to make things a lot easier with the BMs.
marg6043
King Fissure