Long-suffering newbie

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Long-suffering newbie

Postby cul fendu » 11 Feb 2013, 11:11

Hello. I'm really glad to have just found this forum as I've been unfortunate enough to have suffered with anal fissures for over 29 years. I got my first one during the (fairly difficult ) birth of my daughter and suffered in silence for nearly a year, thinking it was just a normal part of giving birth. About a year later, after various creams and ointments, I had an anal sphincterotomy which really helped. I've always eaten a healthy, mega-high fibre diet with usually 7-9 portions of fruit and veg a day but unfortunately, every so often, I get a recurrence of a fissure which takes months to heal. The last year, I've been on medication for having no thyroid (removed for cancer) and this makes me prone to dehydration so I've been suffering a lot. Because of losing lots of blood after each BM I was referred to a new colorectal surgeon who has recommended I get a colonoscopy which I'm having a week from today. I'm happy to have the procedure but really worried about not eating any fibre for the 3 days before it. From past experience I know this is likely to give me a new fissure and I've just healed up from the last one. Doeas anyone have any suggestions?
cul fendu
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Long-suffering newbie

Postby Savaici » 11 Feb 2013, 11:45

Here is a low-fiber diet to use a few days before a colonoscopy. Personally, whenever I have any of these procedures done, I eat light for about a week before, so it is easier to recover afterwards. You will probably have to do the big clean out Image beforehand, so this will stop you from being constipated. Just try to relax and not worry. Much better to know what is happening. Can you take a mild laxative if you are worrying? Milk of Magnesia, for example.
Anyway, here is the link:
http://www.gastro1.com/userfiles/file/Colonoscopy%20Low%20Fiber%20Diet%206%208%207-2011.pdf
Good luck with the colonoscopy!
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Re: Long-suffering newbie

Postby Jessjess » 12 Feb 2013, 13:19

Hello Cul fendu and Image ! I'm sorry you are having problems. It's great that you have seen a surgeon and that you are an established patient. This type of thing is not something to "wait and see" about.
Good luck with colonoscopy. I had one a couple of years ago and the prep work was not fun. They put me under for the procedure so I have no recollection of it. You might want to call the surgeon's nurse and talk to her about your dietary concerns.
Jessjess
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5