cut out nuts, dairy, sugar, meat

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

cut out nuts, dairy, sugar, meat

Postby jrb » 08 Feb 2013, 14:02

Hello--I'm new to this board-- but have been reading all your stories/advice for the last 2 months. I had increased my fiber intake, was drinking tons of water, and having regular bms--followed all my dr's advice to heal my fissure--but w/ no improvement! I had been reluctant to give up nuts bc it seemed like such a good source of fiber and fiber=soft stool, doesn't it? But I finally listened to what so many of you said--I cut nuts out of my diet. I also cut out dairy and sugar (I have a huge sweet tooth, so I'd been hanging on to my sweets). I already didn't eat chicken or beef, and I'm only eating whole wheat breads/pasta--only things w/ lots of fiber. Lots of beans, lentils, potatoes, fruit and veggies of course--especially avocado!
It's very sad and I miss FOOD, BUT w/ aaaall of this--there was NO MORE BLOOD w/ my bms w/in 2 DAYS! I was still in lots of pain--but felt that was a sign I was finally starting to heal. Now it's been about a week on this special diet, and the pain is much much less. Today is the first day in 2 months where i didn't take an advil after my morning bm.
Once I feel I've healed, I'll start adding these foods back to my diet in moderaton at least. But I'm nervous and it's hard to know when is the right time to do this. I hope this helps! It's a radical change--but so worth it for some relief!
jrb
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: cut out nuts, dairy, sugar, meat

Postby CrayonOfDarkness » 08 Feb 2013, 16:47

jrb -- I feel you! Ugh, the past week I've been on the same diet you stated (no dairy, no nuts except a walnut here and there because they're soft, hardly any sugar aside from fruits) and I had no blood for the days I've kept to it. But then, but then yesterday I caved in and ate a couple harder nuts and thought I chewed them thoroughly but it doesn't matter apparently. :(
I miss food too! One bloody stool and I know I have to keep to that very strict regimen. Alas, I guess we'll get used to it once it's been a bit longer. It's not like I'm not still cooking delicious things either (making black bean soup as I type this), but it's sad to have to remove foods that are both healthy and I've depended on eating (and enjoyed eating) for ages.
CrayonOfDarkness
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby delasama » 10 Feb 2013, 19:27

You might as well eat gluten free too!
delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31

Postby suzyljank » 10 Feb 2013, 19:51

Hi, thanks for all your suggestions. I've found cutting out foods that don't digest, like nuts and seeds helps a lot because the undigested food can scrape on the way out. As far as dairy and meat go I haven't cut them out. I just eat them in moderation and I stick to chicken and fish. If you cut out too many foods you could become deficient in calcium, iron and magnesium and potassium. It is always better to get your vitamins through food rather than pills. Eating six small meals a day is also easier on you colon and bum than eating 3 large meals. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby jrb » 11 Feb 2013, 06:47

I agree, small meals are better.
Do people find that peanut butter is difficult to digest, like peanuts would be?
I've read a lot about vegetarianism, and I believe I am getting all the vitamins/minerals I need through the many diff kinds of fruit veggies I'm eating, plus lentils and beans.
jrb
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby suzyljank » 11 Feb 2013, 07:24

Peanut butter is a good source of protein, as for fresh fruits and veggies they may be healthy food but if you're an IBS sufferer they are not your friend. I've had IBS my entire adult life and if I eat a bunch of fresh fruits or veggies I get very bad diarrhea. I guess you just have to figure out what works for you. We're all different and what may work for one may not work for another. Hope everyone finds what works for them and gets on the road to recovery. Suzy
suzyljank

Postby CrayonOfDarkness » 11 Feb 2013, 07:48

jrb: Peanut butter has been fine for me. I like to put it on dried fruits too (prunes, apricots mostly). Goat cheese I haven't had a problem with either (which is good on all kinds of things I've found recently -- figs, sweet potatoes, korean sweet potatoes as of last night, steamed or sauteed spinach with olive oil...)
CrayonOfDarkness
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby delasama » 15 Feb 2013, 12:47

is it ok to eat salmon once a week? i am taking miralax too
delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31

Postby suzyljank » 15 Feb 2013, 13:58

Yes it is. You have to remember that you have to eat a balanced diet. What works for someone else may not work for you. It's trial and error. I suggest you keep a list of the foods that don't give you a problem and establish a diet from them. Drink enough liquid throughout the day and add some fiber but don't go overboard on it because it can cause as many problems as too little fiber. I can eat fish, chicken, ice cream, chocolate but when it comes to red meat I have to make the portion very small. I also don't have a problem with high fiber pasta... But then I don't eat large meals and I'm probably the world's slowest eater. Suzy
suzyljank