LIS surgery yesterday

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS surgery yesterday

Postby LISrecipient » 14 Feb 2013, 11:21

Hi,
Browsed these forums for awhile before the surgery and I have to say the info and stories on here have helped a tremendous amount:
Here is my story:
I just turned 26 three days ago, healthy male 5'10" 167 lbs. I have suffered from an anal fissure for about 6 years. Symptoms included pain, bleeding, extremely itchy.
I suffered from pain and a bit of bleeding for the first couple years and kept using creams, suppositories thinking it was hemorrhoids. One day in college I passed quite a bit of blood with a BM and went to the ER, a doctor examined the area and said it was likely a hemorrhoid, suggested drinking sugary drinks to soften stool, fibre, etc.
Suffered until November 2011 when I finally got over the embarrassment of talking to my doctor and said I need this checked out, can't sleep etc. He referred me to a general surgeon who suggested a colonoscopy, the surgeon said I had two small hemorroids and suggested changing my diet. He said cut back on things like beer, caffeine, dairy, tomatoes, etc. I found this not helpful as I don't drink pop or coffee, and go months without having an alcoholic beverage. I cut back on my milk and tomato intake which did not seem to help.
I began taking metamucil, eating lots of fibre, etc but still suffered.
September 2012 I told my doctor I can't remember the last time I slept through the night and told him I think the problem is a fissure. He again referred me to a surgeon (new surgeon), she examined the area and said I did in fact suffer from AF and that she noted spasming and a couple external piles (these have been very uncomfortable as well, very itchy). She suggested trying diltiazem cream for 6 weeks but said she figured 30% chance the cream would work, that LIS was likely and I asked if the piles could be taken care of as well.
Needless to say she performed the LIS yesterday moring, and I'm not entirely sure but I dont think she touched the piles (although they haven't really bother me since the surgery). After the surgery she told me they cut the sphincter noting it was really tight and that I have 3 internal stithces and an external stitch. I didn't ask about the piles as I was rather groggy.
I am experiencing pain now but nothing extreme(occasionally can be severe) I have stopped taking the tramacet prescribed because I have been unable to have a bowel movement besides ridding myself of the packing last night. The area is swollen and sore and very bruised (hard to see were any incision are because of the tenderness) but regular epsom salt baths have been keeping it comfortable.
I have been taking the stool softeners recommended continued with Metamucil, lots of fibre and water. Honestly don't really feel like I need to have a BM which I find strange as I am usually very regular.
Also I would like to mention that the pain is different than before the surgery, so far the extreme itching hasn't been present and the painful spasming is pretty well gone (touch wood).
Does anyone have experience with piles? If they are still present should they heal up on their own after LIS?
Sorry for the long story!!
LISrecipient
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: LIS surgery yesterday

Postby jr2 » 14 Feb 2013, 14:35

LIS
I hope your recovery from surgery goes really smoothly and you arefeeling better soon!
As far as the hemorrhoids, you may or may not see some improvement in them. Sometimes, the LIS surgery does benefit hemorrhoids because with the reduced sphinctertone, there is less tension in the area and bowel movements are easier with less straining. Anything that reduces strain in the area can be of help with hemorrhoids. But as with any anal problem, the key is consistently easy to pass stools with no straining.
Again, best wishes for your healing!
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby LISrecipient » 15 Feb 2013, 14:44

Thanks jr2 for the wishes!
So far today has been the most painful, BMs are continuing to be the major problem, I'm using stool softener, restoralax, drinking tons of water and eating good foods (fruit, veggies, etc) and still have not had a soft stool.....talk about pain, but hopeful it will start to improve!
LISrecipient
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby GettingBetter » 15 Feb 2013, 16:16

Hi,
This forum has been a godsend for the past year. I was never a member until today. However, I truly believe I read every single post [literally]. My horror story started last June. Now I have a high tolerance for pain but this fissure pain is beyond horrible. I literally was screaming in pain after every BM. It was one horrific experience after another. The first time I felt the pain my stool was covered in bright red blood. I was certain I would pass out. The spasms were byfar the worst part. My spasms would last at Least 18 hours considering I had a BM every other day. By the time my spasms subsided i was due for another bm. My life was hell. I am a special education teacher for students with disabilities and felt that I was doing an injustice to my students. There were days I could not get out of bed. I am also a full time student working on my second masters program.
I finally went to a gastro doc who gave me nitroglycerin ointment. I must have used at least 3 whole tubes. Drank miralax daily watched my food intake. It never got better.
One year later when I was offered a new job I knew I had to get better. I googled a local well know CRS. I found her. I scheduled an appt and she brutalized my butt. I screamed in pain during her exam. She scheduled the LiS surgery 2 days later. Mind you she is one of the rudest, most inconsiderate doctors I have ever met. BUT one heck of an amazing surgeon. I am 8 days post-op and finally getting better. Can you believe it no more pain. Yes their is occasional pain but nothing compared to that horrible terrible agonizing fissure pain. It gets better every single day. I don't have to live my life according to my bm's anymore. I have never had surgery and I am terrified of doctors but I needed this. Here's my advice. Stop the BS and get the surgery NOW. IT'S A 10 MINUTE PROCEDURE THAT WILL FIX THE FISSURE PAIN. Don't live in agony. Get it done. I owe this to all who have helped me with their posts.
GettingBetter