Discharge/seepage

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Discharge/seepage

Postby LISrecipient » 18 Feb 2013, 15:35

So it's day 5 after the surgery and for the last two days I have a pretty constant discharge from the area, pretty clear but maybe whitish/brownish .Does this seem normal? Not sure if its a pus or mucous I'm hoping this is not a permanent incontinence thing as it does not have a pleasant odor
Talk about an embarrassing topic
For whatever its worth its still pretty painful down there, feels like a burning/tearing. Not passing much blood anymore with BM but talk about excruciating pain
LISrecipient
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Discharge/seepage

Postby suzyljank » 18 Feb 2013, 15:46

Hi, If your discharge is really smelly or you start to run a fever you need to contact your doctor to rule out an infection. A discharge after LIS is normal though. Everyone is different but it's not uncommon for it to last for a few weeks. Is your pain increasing or decreasing? If it's increasing check with your doctor. Hope you recover quickly. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby LISrecipient » 18 Feb 2013, 21:42

Thanks for the advice, I don't have a fever but I'm thinking I will call my family doctor in the morning (I would imagine chances are slim if getting ahold of the surgeon in a timely manner with her sched) the discharge seems to be getting more of a green color which worries me...
Pain doesn't seem to be increasing it has sort of remained the same the last couple days, the worst pain is coming from what I think would be the sutured area inside.
LISrecipient
Fibre Addict

Postby LISrecipient » 19 Feb 2013, 12:48

Went to see a doctor this morning he said everything looks like its healing should be ok, took a swab and did an exam with his finger (painful!!) and then gave me a prescription for an antibiotic to reduce the pus
LISrecipient
Fibre Addict