Do I need to take stool softeners?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Do I need to take stool softeners?

Postby Luka » 21 Feb 2013, 00:43

I know many of you on here take stool softeners every day to ensure soft, easy to pass stools. It seems to be a requirement if you have an anal fissure. I was just wondering if any of you take them when you normally don’t have constipation issues? I’m not sure exactly how my fissure developed (it could have been due to weakened anal tissue due to straining while on previous vacations – I have a shy bowel and only really get constipated on vacation or when I'm someplace I'm not comfortable; or I may have developed the fissure from having loose stools and tons of stress during Christmas time last year). I don’t normally get constipated (when I’m on my regular routine, that is, at home) and I eat a healthy diet with fruits, grains, and veggies (very little processed foods), but I worry about times when I might develop constipation for whatever reason (life is unpredictable sometimes) and get a re-tear of my fissure. Of course, I’m equally concerned about getting really loose, burning stool or diarrhea or lots of bowel movements each day (going 2-3 times a day is enough for me, thanks), because I know those things can be just as bad as constipation when it comes to a fissure.
So, my question is: should I be taking a stool softener right now even if I don’t normally have constipation issues? If so, should I try Colace or Miralax? My mom took Colace for a while after she had a hysterectomy and said it worked for her, so maybe it would be fine for me. I know most of you on here prefer Miralax, though.
I just worry if I try a stool softener that I'll get diarrhea or that my system will become dependent on it to have normal bowel movements. I'd prefer to just stick to a healthy diet (as boring as that is sometimes), but if a stool softener will prevent any issues that might come up and ensure consistently soft stool every day to help further heal the fissure, I'd give it a try.
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Re: Do I need to take stool softeners?

Postby CrackinUp » 21 Feb 2013, 02:50

I read recently that its only diarrhoea if it mixes with the water in the pan. If you take Lactulose, it locks moisture into the BM which keeps it soft. Perhaps this actually helps with diarrhoea as I have IBS and am almost always loose, but the softener I use (Lactulose) works really well for me. I've been more consistent than ever and the BM never mixes with the water, despite often being runny.
My issue is that for every 10 BMs, even though 9 of them are loose there will be 1 which isn't. For me this is what caused the damage and something I'm not prepared to risk again. So I stick with the softener.
CrackinUp
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby Rachael 1984 » 21 Feb 2013, 04:09

Yes, osmotic softeners just draw water to the bowel. So no harsh stimulants. I too have IBS, so this type works for me too. I take macrogol, same as lactulose, but you mix it into water. My doc says it is safe to take long term.
I think miralax is the American version of these types of softeners. I am terrified of hard BM, so I take one every night before bed, 2 in a day if I think I may be slightly constipated.
Last edited by Rachael 1984 on 21 Feb 2013, 04:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby jr2 » 21 Feb 2013, 11:24

I resisted taking stool softeners for awhile because I suffer with chronic loose stools every day several times a day. But what I found when I finally did try it is that it makes the first morning trip to the bathroom a lot easier as that visit is the one that is most traumatic for my fissures (because it's more formed). I'm kind of odd in a way than most fissure sufferers because the diarrhea doesn't bother my fissures. It's stools that are too bulky that are the problem for me.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Luka » 21 Feb 2013, 14:54

Thanks for the answers, guys. : )
Isn't Lactulose only available by prescription? My CRS never talked to me about stool softeners since I told him I rarely get constipated; he just gave me Diltiazem ointment to use for several weeks. I might give Miralax a try soon, but start off with maybe half the dose just to be safe and then increase as needed.
It doesn't seem like many people on here have success with Colace from what I've read in older posts. Is this because it's gentler than Miralax?
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Luka
VIP

Postby Rachael 1984 » 21 Feb 2013, 15:10

Hi Luka, you can buy lactulose over the counter here in the uk. I am not sure about Colace, we don't have that here. I would try 1 dose and go from there. It will take a while to see, but once you get into a routine with the right dose, stick to it. If you are unsure, ask the pharmacist or your Doc.
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby jr2 » 22 Feb 2013, 10:00

Luka,
Because I have more troubles with diarrhea and don't have constipation, I use a combination of 1 Colace and a teaspoon or so of Miralax. For some people who tend more to constipation they find the Colace doesn't give them enough softening and it also doesn't actually promote a bowel movement (but I don't need any help with that). So, the combination works well for me. The key to being on these kinds of things is to make sure you drink plenty of water with them. They are far less effective if you don't drink plenty of water.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Luka » 22 Feb 2013, 15:51

Thanks for the info, jr2. I drink a ton of water each day (at least 8-10 glasses), so I don't think I'll have any issues with that. :D
I think I'll probably give Colace a try at first and see if it works at all for me (since it did help my mom at one time). If that doesn't work or I don't notice much difference, I'll try half a dose of Miralax. I just don't want to get burning diarrhea, which scares me just as much as constipation (I had burning loose stool two months ago caused by stress or something I may have eaten, which may have caused or aggravated the fissure, and it hurt like hell!). But if you don't seem to have any issues with small doses of Colace or Miralax, then I think I should be okay.
I've never taken stool softeners or anything like that before (only laxatives when I've had issues a long time ago), so I guess I'm just a little apprehensive about how my body will react to them. I always get so nervous when trying something new.
Luka
VIP