Postop LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Postop LIS

Postby mangofort » 03 Mar 2013, 00:30

So, I'm post op LIS day 1 now.
Surgery was uneventful. Moderate pain in the evening as the Marcaine they injected during the procedure started to wear off. Ate regular meal after surgery. Lots of fibre plus miralax.
This AM after breakfast I had my first BM. Sadly it still felt I was quite narrow up there and was mildly uncomfortable plus the additional pain from the incision. Some blood. we'll see how it goes tommorow.
Pain is well controlled with paracetamol and ibuprofen every few hours. Doc gave an opioid painkiller but I decided not to take it unless necessary to avoid constipation.
My other problem is I have gas quite a bit. I can control it but of course it has to come out eventually and it does feel warm or burn a bit so it seems to be lacerating my sphincter every time...
Just hoping things start to improve. I'm slightly concerned cause the calibre of stool still seems quite tight and not improved from Pre LIS yet. We'll see tho. Will update.
mangofort
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Postop LIS

Postby Lauren12 » 03 Mar 2013, 06:25

You might have some swelling from the procedure making it tighter, which of course subsides as healing progresses. I did!
Lauren12
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby becsbum » 03 Mar 2013, 08:26

I am 3.5 weeks post LIS. I don't know yet how successful the surgery was (haven't been in for follow up yet; BMs are better but still have some trouble especially sitting - don't know if it is still healing but sure hope so!!!) but I do remember the first few days after surgery I did feel a sort of tight stretching feeling with bms. I don't really think that is happening anymore, so my guess is it had to do with swelling. I do still have some pain when I pass gas - just for a brief second.
becsbum
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby mangofort » 04 Mar 2013, 14:01

Ok so update.
Postoperative day 3.
So generally uncomfortable in the incision site which improve throughout the day. I'm lying down all day to not aggravate the incision site and it's more comfortable.
My bowel movements (two each yesterday and today in the morning) have still been uncomfortable, both with incision pain and I think still the Pre-LIS fissure pain. Later in the day I get a lot of gas which is uncomfortable and is warm on my sphincter as its expelled like before.
When do people feel they can sit at a chair again? Go for a walk. Stuff like that?
I mean everything is Pretty tame post surgery I'm just afraid the LIS isn't working yet because the BMs still aren't great even ignoring the incision pain, or at least what I perceive to be as such.
mangofort
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby becsbum » 04 Mar 2013, 16:39

I noticed a big improvement in postoperative comfort at around 1 week. Still waiting to fully heal (4 weeks) but I go about my day pretty much as normal other than avoiding sitting. Sitting was my worst thing pre-op so, like you, I worry that it is not yet healed. But as my friend advised me, give it time.
becsbum
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby marg6043 » 05 Mar 2013, 20:32

mangofort hey there, I never had LIS but considering, by the information I have read in this board, you are just post op, so swelling is expected, with swelling things are going to feel tight and uncomfortable.
Give yourself time, the swelling will take some time and perhaps things will feel better.
Take it easy, healing is gradually, some people takes time some others heal faster, so don't rush your recovery.
Hopefully it will go well for you.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8