Fissureotomy vs LIS Not sure about surgery at all

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Fissureotomy vs LIS Not sure about surgery at all

Postby cjsva » 17 Mar 2013, 13:13

Which one of these is less painful and quicker recovery a fissureotomy or LIS What I thought were hems probably was this AF acting up over the years. Finally was diagnosed in Aug 2012 as AF. Have tried many natural products and have found that I am at a point that I almost believe that it may be healing. I have added items to my diet and eliminated some others to try and help my body heal naturally. I have gone as much as a couple of weeks with no significant pain. I am at a point that I can actually function at work and home on a normal rfoutine. I am scheduled for surgery "fissureotomy" , doctor said she would also consider hemorrhoidectomy if she gets in there and discovers they need removing I am not so sure about this. I am not very positive after reading some of the forum posts that surgery will solve the problem and don't like giving a surgeon a blank check to "do whatever is necessary". i am in so much less pain than I was in August and not sure the small amount of pain I continue to have every now and then warrants surgery. ????
cjsva

Topics: 2

Re: Fissureotomy vs LIS Not sure about surgery at all

Postby Savaici » 17 Mar 2013, 16:00

I have not had LIS, but there are many who have and not had too much pain. Do a search on here.
I have, however, had two hemorrhoid surgeries, and the pain following these was excruciating. I would never have this again. Good to read up on this before giving ANY doctor carte blanche to do what he/she pleases. It is your body.
I have been going the natural route, with the aid of dilation as well.
Best of luck with whatever you choose.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby coconut » 17 Mar 2013, 16:14

Fissurectomy is the more painful one. LIS is the one that some people recovered from very quickly. As far as I know, its very unusual to do a fissurectomy without LIS. If that's what your doctor is recommending, I would suggest asking a lot of questions. Its not the normal rout.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby thefer74 » 18 Mar 2013, 00:44

Hi
I had a fissurectomy as well as hemorrhoid removed, abscess and fistula about 3 months ago. The fissure never healed. I saw a 2nd surgeon last Wednesday and learned that the first surgeon should have done an LIS with the fissurectomy to give it a better chance to close. I am now scheduled for a 2nd surgery on Tuesday. The new surgeon will go back do a LIS and fissurectomy. Let's just say, I am not thrilled. With the first surgery, I had alot of pain. I suspect a big portion came from the hemorrhoid removal and the fissurectomy. I am not looking forward to a repeat. I hope that this time around, I will be in less pain and I can return back to work on Monday.
thefer74
Salt Bather

Topics: 22

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?