Doing WELL! 5 weeks Post Fissurectomy and LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Doing WELL! 5 weeks Post Fissurectomy and LIS

Postby Jessjess » 09 Mar 2013, 12:55

Doing very well. So glad to be free of pain! I had to wait about 10 days of extreme pain, painkillers, sitz baths, etc. before the surgery. The surgery went well. I arrived an hour early (to make absolutely sure that I arrived on time). I couldn't sit down so they took me in immediately and gave me painkillers intravenously before surgery. They were very kind. The surgery took about 90 minutes for removal of the fissure and skin tag and then the LIS. After surgery I couldn't feel anything till about 9pm that night, but by then I had already taken a couple of Percoset. The first night I kept an ice pack on my butt on and off to get the swelling to go down.
The day after surgery was the worst of it, just as bad as the pre-surgery pain so I knew how to deal with it. Going to the bathroom was a lot easier and less painful. I kept up the painkillers and Motrin, water, diet, fiber/stool softeners, gauze, Tucks, and sitz baths for 2 weeks and the pain was not so bad. Each day added a couple of pain-killer free hours. Ice packs helped a lot with the pain. It was a lot better than pre-surgery and I did not have any regrets. No incontinence whatsoever. I went back to work 2 weeks post-op and I had to use the painkillers for a couple of days to adjust to sitting at a desk chair. By the 3rd day at work (17 days post op) I was okay without any meds.
I had my follow up on March 1st, 25 days post-op and my doc trimmed the stitches. They will dissolve eventually. He said I looked a little swollen but not to worry. He also said that I should never have to worry about a fissure again!
It still itches and I try not to scratch too hard. A&D ointment helps with itching and healing but I only use it once a day. I do not wash with soap anymore as that can make the itching worse. Just a good washing with water is sufficient.
No one can ever call me a tight ass again~ Image
Thanks so much for the support and this website! You all are angels! Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Last edited by Jessjess on 09 Mar 2013, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: emoticon blast!
Jessjess
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Re: Doing WELL! 5 weeks Post Fissurectomy and LIS

Postby Lauren12 » 09 Mar 2013, 16:05

Jessjess wrote:No one can ever call me a tight ass again~ Image

Heh :D
So glad to read of your success story. That's fantastic. :)
Actually I've had the LIS and haven't been in pain for ages, so thought I was no longer a tight ass either, but at the very last appointment with the CRS he said my anus was still somewhat reactive and 'winked' at him. Apparently this is the expression that CRS's use when they touch an anus and it reacts by moving or spasming. So I might not be such a tight ass as I was before the surgery, but I've got a 'winking' anus apparently! :D
Lauren12
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby coconut » 09 Mar 2013, 18:27

Excellent use of emotacons.
I'm glad you are doing well. Especially since you had a ruff couple of days at first. I seem to be following a few weeks "behind" you. Lots of pain, but no incontinence, and I'm only two days post surgery.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby PIA » 09 Mar 2013, 20:37

Great to hear Jess. Heres to a bright future for you. Image
PIA
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby lmaci » 25 Mar 2013, 21:37

Hello,
I am 16 days post op of fissurectomy, LIs, large skin tag removal and some hems removed. Pain pretty much gone, little discomfort and still have some discharge, using pads. I wonder is it normal to be still swollen and what you docs said about your butt looking totally normal again, how long??? I am still swollen in area where skin tag was.
lmaci
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby marg6043 » 26 Mar 2013, 07:42

Jessjess wonderful that you are doing so well, it is light at the end of the tunnel after all.
Take care of yourself.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby Jessjess » 27 Mar 2013, 20:55

Thanks Winky Image , Coconut, Lauren, PIA, and Marg. Imaci, hang it there. You will be up and running very soon.
Still doing well- so sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I have been catching up on things!
My butt is totally back to normal. The total recovery time for me was 3 weeks. After 2 weeks of recovery, I went back to work and I still had some pain while at work, but the pain subsided completely at the end of the third week. My recovery was pretty fast since the average time is 4-6 weeks. No more painkillers or sitz baths or stool softeners or prunes! What a fierce schedule that was!
My butt doesn't feel the same of course, to the touch that is. I haven't looked at it in a while as I really don't care what it looks like. If I ever date anyone again, I'll get him check it out Image . It's a lot easier to stick my finger up my butt, which feels good with the itching but I try not to get carried away! I am still using A&D ointment for the itching. I'm a little afraid to use any hydrocortizone considering it can thin the tissue if used over a long period of time.
I'm glad to see there is a new section called "Success Stories Only!" This will help a LOT of people from being terrified and in pain for so long. The pain is just NOT worth it! As my doctor said to me, "It's no way to live".
My doctor was so nice and sweet and he looked like my first boyfriend. As I was waking from anasthesia, I told him that he looked liked my first love. The nurse said, "Yes, you already told us." Dr. Brian Jerby, AKA Dr. First Love!
Jessjess
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby marg6043 » 28 Mar 2013, 12:21

Jessjess I envy you, you make LIS sound like a walk in the park :D and the doctors like angels from haven. Image
You are indeed lucky to find such a great doctor with a great staff.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?