6 days after LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

6 days after LIS

Postby Hopeful » 24 Mar 2013, 07:52

I had fissure pain more than 40 days and decided for surgery.... Today is my 6th day of surgery and I feel alright. Stinging and burning pain has been long gone but I have this throbbing pain after BM.. It does not last too long like my first few days after surgery.. I m hoping eventually it will go away. My question is when can I sit-up straight.. I m still unable to sit, I lay down most of the day and walk here and there around the house. My work requires sitting 8 hours straight. I took one week off since my CRS told me I will be able to sit in few days. Now I m about to take another week off. My CRS said I have a deep fissure which about 4mm size.. I don't know if this consider pretty small or big. Also please advice how long does it take for deep fissure to heal completely. Any advice will be appreciated.
Hopeful
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: 6 days after LIS

Postby coconut » 24 Mar 2013, 10:46

I'm on day 16 post surgery. I feel like I can sit for about an hour comfortably. It also helps me to fold a small blanket and sit on it so that my coccyx is hanging off the edge. This seems to take the pressure off.
For me, I think that I could go back to an 8 hour sitting job tomorrow if I needed to, but that I would not have been OK with that until now. I'm sitting up to type this! Woot! I work out of my home and I've been working since day 4, but I still take frequent breaks to go lie on my bed to give my butt a break. I don't have to sit up to do my job.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Hopeful » 24 Mar 2013, 10:55

Thanks for your reply coconut.. It is very nice to work from home, I wish I can do that.. I have my CRS appointment on Tuesday and hoping she will give me some advice about it. After 16 days r u completely pain free? R u still having fiber diet? I m taking stool softner and metamucil for more than a month. I don't know how long can you be on stool softner? Sorry for too many questions :(
Hopeful
Fibre Addict

Postby coconut » 24 Mar 2013, 15:56

I am not pain free. I take one percocet every morning before my BM so that I can get through it and avoid the pain afterwards. I just took a gentle yoga class this morning for the first time since the surgery. I also took a walk today, as the weather is getting more spring like and I had to get out. I'm wiped out this afternoon. I'm not sure I'd say I'm in pain, but I am aching and a little grouchy.
I have a strict routine that I follow. I eat a high fiber diet with no chili spice. Lots of fruits and veggies throughout the day. I take miralax. I'm weaning down to one dose a day. I also take the stool softener colace. Colace is safe for most people to take long term. The reason I'm on both is that the percocet constipates me. Normally, I don't have a problem with constipation.
There is nothing wrong with taking metamucil for the rest of your life. It is a natural fiber bulker. Its mixed with coloring and sweeteners that some people avoid by buying the main ingredient in a healthfood store and mixing it with juice, but its fine to take long term.
The problems with laxatives that you might have heard about are with stimulant laxatives and MoM. Miralax is relatively new, so we may discover that it isn't good long term, but studies show that is it safe to take for at least 6 months.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby thefer74 » 24 Mar 2013, 22:12

Hi
I had an LIS and fissurectomy on Tuesday (about 6 days ago). The fissure was down to the muscle. Pain is not that bad compared to the first surgery. I have been taking valium and dilaudid off and on during the day to help with the spasms and pain. I am walking slowly and sitting is a challenge. The worst is right after a BM. Today, I went from the toiliet to the tub in under 5 minutes. If I do alot of walking/sitting, I hurt more.. My biggest problem is not being able to sleep at night. I am up and down all night between being uncomfortable and fighting with broncholitis and doing breathing treatments.
I am very bruised and I am not sure if that is normal. Also draining quite a bit. I am only taking pericolace and eating lots of fruits/vegs and drinking fluids. I have minimal control over gas and so far no acccidents. I am wondering why I am not in alot of pain with this surgery compared to the first one.
I am going back to work tomorrow teaching. If it gets to a point that I am in too much pain, then I will request a sub for a half day.
thefer74
Salt Bather

Topics: 22

Postby Hopeful » 25 Mar 2013, 05:30

Hi there, I feel like I have similar problems not able to sit, eat lots of fruits/veggies, drunk 8 glasses of water, take one colace and no accidents thank GOD! My pain after BM has been improved compare to 1st day after surgery but still sore every morning. Yeh I don't know CRS acted like I will be fine and sitting within a week but I don't know how? I have follow up appointment tomorrow I m gonna keep you update.. Oh yeh I do have some kind of discharge not too much but it is smelly. I don't know if that is the sign of infection I hope not... And yeh after 6 days staying at home I went for grocery of course standing on my feet for more than an hour is not fun, I was tired and aching.. Good luck on your first day at work..
Hopeful
Fibre Addict

Postby thefer74 » 25 Mar 2013, 20:29

Hi
I made it through the first day of work but not without pain and discomfort. By noon, I went down to the school nurse to grab some advil. Tomorrow, I may take some pain meds. At one point, I sat on a big ball and rolled back and forth to reduce it. I work with preschool kids so sitting on the floor was a challenge and painful to say the least. The pain after the first BM was painful but not enough to bring tears and hold on for dear life. I ended up having diarrhea due to the pericolace.
With the first surgery, they used laser for the hemmorhoids, open up the fistula tract, laser fissurectomy and took care of an abscess. The first two weeks after this surgery were very painful and I spent alot of time in the tub and on pain meds. It finally lessen somewhat but it was still painful up to the point of the second surgery due to the spasms and the fissure still open. This time around, my CRS referred me to another CRS with more experience. He saw me on a Wed and I was scheduled for surgery the following Tuesday for a LIS and laser fissurectomy. He didn't want to wait too long as I was at risk for another abscess and fistula.
I would call your CRS if you are concerned about an infection. I am on preventive antibiotics for the surgery and another one for broncholitis. So I think between those two, there is no chance for an infection to happen. My biggest concern is that there is a raised area outside the anus where the bruise is at. I am thinking that is where they went into the muscle.
Take it slow. My surgery was on a Tuesday. I stayed on the couch on my side until Friday when I went out for dinner with visitors from out of state. I avoided any driving until Saturday or Sunday. I also am avoiding anything spicy per dr's orders until it is healed.
thefer74
Salt Bather

Topics: 22

Postby octobahn » 27 Mar 2013, 00:45

Hi all. I wish I had found this site before I had my fistulectomy. I also had my surgery last Tuesday. I didn't have much issue with pain and had a BM the very next morning with very little pain. I haven't taken a look at the surgery site but after returning home the day of the surgery I asked my wife to help me change the guaze and she took a peek down there and commented that she couldn't see the incision so I'm assuming the extent of my surgery was comparatively minor. On the days following the surgery I still felt a bit of pressure near the surgery site but was not experiencing any BM issues. I used panty liners as puss and blood leakage was ongoing. I went on a round of antibiotics as the dr prescribed but didn't use any stool softener or pain meds. I had my followup with the dr this past Saturday where he said the healing was coming along fine, then asked me to come back in 2 weeks. I thought everything was coming along fine.
Then yesterday I had quite a bit of blood leak onto my underwear and padding. I should mention that on the same day we went to Costco and we picked up a couple of cases of bottled water - the 6 one-gallon case. I didn't feel any strain or pain picking them up and moving them from and to the car. I'm not sure the blood was a direct result of the lifting though. I told myself to watch the strenuous activity after that happened.
Today, at some point while putting my daughter to bed I had another incident with blood leakage, enough to soak through my underwear and shorts. After cleaning up, I went to the couch and started researching the recovery time for this surgery, which was how I happened upon this forum. After I got up, I realized I just had another incident which also was enough blood to soak through my underwear and sleep pants. In both cases I was lying down. I did not feel any pain or flow until I got up and realized by touch what had happened. It may be that I reopened the wound but I thought to ask you all if this is normal? I didn't experience this much blood leakage even immediately after the surgery. I'm able to sit with little to no discomfort, I've been driving for several days now, I even went on some short hikes with the family the last 2 days. Considering how my recovery was proceeding this is throwing me for a loop.
Can anyone offer some insight or opinions on what may be the cause? If I've not given enough information please feel free to ask. Thank you!
octobahn
Fibre Addict

Postby Hopeful » 27 Mar 2013, 06:19

Hi, I had a surgery last Monday ( 3/18), I had a follow up appointment yesterday.. CRS told me its healing but not completely healed yet. She suggested take another week off (total 3 weeks now) from work since I still can't sit up straight and can't drive.. I do bleed sometimes during BM but not as much as u do its just in my wipe I also have some discharge. My CRS was not concern about it. My would is open they never took any stitches. I never got any antibiotics either. Also CRS said do not use donut pillow since it would stretch the fissure more, so only use soft pillow. It seems like u have lot more bleeding that I do I m wondering if it is side effect of antibiotics or sitting on your bum too much.. Sorry I m not that much help but I would call the doctor.. Good luck!
Hopeful
Fibre Addict

Postby octobahn » 27 Mar 2013, 10:37

Thank you Hopeful for the reply nonetheless. I have not had any incidents since last night. This morning's BM was fairly normal with no pain. It's just that the surgical area is feeling a little tender with some dull pain similar to what I felt the first few days after the surgery. I'm going to keep any eye on it today and do the sitz bath as usual, and hope that what happened yesterday was a result of perhaps me being too optimistic about my recovery and "did to much too soon" and nothing serious. There are no foul odors or anything out of the ordinary that I've seen so far.
I do sit a lot but haven't given it much thought since there isn't really any discomfort or pain. I try to put pressure more on one side versus the other when I sit for prolong periods. Also, my diet isn't the best for what I'm going through right now so that's an area where I can definitely improve upon. I'm a fairly active person and was wondering if walking or certain physical activities help the recovery process along? I'm biting my nails hoping to be able to get back on my bike soon. However, reading some of the details you all have shared regarding how long it took to "get back to normal", I'm not sure I'll see the use of my bike for the next few months. :D I've done some short hikes, a little bit of upper body exercises which I don't normally do, and done a bike ride around the block with my daughter while standing the whole time on the bike (it was a very short ride).
octobahn
Fibre Addict