Considering second LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Considering second LIS

Postby Venty » 26 Mar 2013, 18:01

I had LIS with skin tag removal more than 6 weeks ago. I had suffered almost 10 months before I made the decision to get the surgery. Like many of you here, I went through the same frustrating routine of making dietary changes, using fiber an laxatives, nitroglycerin ointments etc. but nothing even made a dent in the pain I had.
My experience after the surgery has been pretty dismal because a) I never really had any relief from the pain in these 6 weeks and b) the fissure re tore about two days ago with bleeding for the first time.
At the 4 weeks post op follow up, the surgeon said that the fissure had healed and what was hurting me was the skin tag removal site. But after the bleeding episode, he has now confirmed that its indeed the fissure and that I will need a second LIS to fix this. He also thinks that the nitro might be helpful but I'm sure that it will do nothing for me because things are still pretty tight down there.
When I met my surgeon before my surgery, he told be clearly that his success rate is about 90% and he cuts very conservatively through the sphincter. Since he was honest, I cannot really complain that he didn't give me a clear picture and can only curse my bad luck to have landed in the 10% of the minority that doesn't heal.
My concern now is that how long should I wait to be able to say reasonably that the surgery hasnt worked? I feel very uncomfortable jumping into the second surgery because of my experience with the first one. Basically, I have surrendered to the fact that nothing will cure me and I will continue being in misery.
Any insights would be helpful and first hand experiences from anyone who has had 2 LIS surgeries would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
Venty
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Considering second LIS

Postby marg6043 » 27 Mar 2013, 18:19

Venti sorry to hear that you have a retear so soon after surgery.
But you are still healing, unless you doctor explain why he thinks you need another one without giving a chance for the first one to heal I would wait for the surgery.
I never had LIS but for what I have read on others experiences it can take as long as months for the fissure to heal and it will retear again but the healing is faster.
I hope some other member with more experience on second surgery would give you some advise.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby Venty » 27 Mar 2013, 18:36

Dear marg6043,
Thanks for your reply.
The doctor thinks that I'm still very tight. He thinks that I should try the nitro ointment and If it helps, then there is no need to jump into surgery. But he also said that I'd the oitment doesn't help, I should not suffer to long and call him to discuss LIS#2. I appreciate that he thinks this way but I'm very skeptical about a second surgery so soon.
I share your view that retears after LIS are not that uncommon and I should probably wait and watch to see if there is any healing. I'm worried that more the retears,more the complications and I'm truly fed up of going through this cycle over and again.
The feeling of indecision is killing me, not to mention the whole phobia from thinking how much pain the next BM will bring.
Venty
Fibre Addict

Postby Savaici » 27 Mar 2013, 18:39

I couldn't advise you on whether you should have the surgery or not. It does, however, sound as if he was very conservative with the first.
Here is a link to a member who did have a second LIS (desparatehousewife) and it did work for her. Hope the post will help you: http://anal-fissure.org/t2624-scheduled-for-2nd-lis-in-february-advice-needed-please
Let us know what you decide. Image
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Venty » 27 Mar 2013, 19:18

Thanks Savaici,
I did read that thread and now I'm scared out if my mind! She had a very bad experience after her second surgery and that's what I got from her latest post. She had a number of other health issues as well, so I'm not really sure. Anyway, I am just very very nervous.
Venty
Fibre Addict

Postby Jessjess » 27 Mar 2013, 21:15

Venti, where are you from? Is there any way you can see a surgeon who specializes in this surgery? It seems your doctor did not perform the surgery correctly. This is a chance everyone takes with any kind of surgery. I would consult a different doctor and get a second opinion. I would not put my butt in the hands of the same doctor. If you had a skin tag, did he not remove the fissure too?
Jessjess
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby Venty » 27 Mar 2013, 21:30

Jessjess,
My doctor is a renowned colo rectal surgeon in NY. He told me that he cuts very little muscle which is enough in 90% cases to heal the fissure. I don't suppose he 'removed the fissure'. I'm guessing that is called fissurectomy?
In any case, I think LIS is performed to let the fissure have a chance to heal on its own .
I will probably take a second opinion like you said.
Venty
Fibre Addict

Postby Savaici » 28 Mar 2013, 12:29

Venty, have you considered anal dilation? An ex-marine
's (wecc) posts on this are well worth a read. He healed.
The doctor he saw was in NY.
Here is his link: http://anal-fissure.org/t4104-my-standardized-anal-dilatation-this-morning
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby hopefulbutt » 28 Mar 2013, 13:02

Venty, I believe another member on here, Fissyluna had 2 LIS's. After the 2nd one she healed completely. You can try and look up her old posts.
hopefulbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 40

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 28 Mar 2013, 13:17

I would get a second opinion if I were you. A 90% success rate for LIS seems pretty low based on the statistics I have seen (95% to 98%+). My CRS is also very conservative, but his success rate is much higher. I think your CRS may be too conservative. I would definitely want to make sure that the second LIS works, so you might want to talk to some other CRS's with higher success rates.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8