Traveling for surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Traveling for surgery

Postby andyk123 » 30 Mar 2013, 12:34

I would also add that i stopped taking pain killers, so maybe this is why I am feeling the incision pain so much. The tablets they gave me made me feel really faint and sick.
I think i will get some paracetomal and ibobrufen to take instead though to ease things a bit
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby jr2 » 30 Mar 2013, 12:36

It's so great to hear from you and that things went as well as they could with the long travel you had to cope with. So glad to hear you're home and on the other side of your surgery now so you can heal, heal, heal.
Wishing you nothing but improvement and an easing of the pain each hour and every day!
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Savaici » 30 Mar 2013, 12:38

Best of luck with the healing!
I think that the brown discharge is quite common, but expect someone will come on and give you some info about that.
Glad that it is over, and that you had a great surgeon!! Look forward to your updates, Andy.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby andyk123 » 30 Mar 2013, 16:06

Thanks guys, I ll make sure I update, and hopefully be able to start a thread letting people know I have healed. I have found success stories extremely encouraging to read through out this fissure, so i ll have to make sure I offer one to others.
On that topic, Davo, thank you for making your diary thread, it sounds a bit weird but when i was sat on the toilet awaiting my first bm I opening up your diary thread on my phone and was reading your description of your first BM over and over trying to convince myself mine would be the same haha!
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Davo » 31 Mar 2013, 11:24

Andy,
Glad your surgery went well and that you are now on the other side.
Post surgery the fissure shouldn't really give you much grief and as you say it's the incision wound that will be sore and take slightly longer to heal. I did get some brown discharge for a few weeks however at my follow up appointment Mr Windsor told me this was just weeping from the incision wound and should not be confused with incontinence.
Following a BM i would dab gently with damp cotton wool or a baby wipe and jump in the bath. To dry i would then slightly dab the area with a towel and finish off with a hairdryer.
In a few weeks and with a bit of care you will be back on your feet and ready to start your life again.... WELL DONE!
Thanks for your comments on my diary and i'm glad it has been some use.
Keep us posted with your progress
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby andyk123 » 03 Apr 2013, 10:16

Thank davo.
Bms are still pretty pain free. Incision pain is starting to reduce now, but still uncomfortable. Went for a short walk today but it started to itch like crazy.
I am getting brown discharge. To me it really looks like soiling, so a little worried im slightly incontinent. I clean the area thoroughly in the bath, and then for the next four to five hours when i dab the area, there is brown marking, it basically looks like i havent cleaned myself. hoping its temporary. The blood is reducing though, although some times there is pinky red blood when i dab it.
It will be one week tomorrow, so hopefully will start to turn a corner soon
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Davo » 03 Apr 2013, 10:23

Hi Andy,
The incision pain will stop in the next week or two
The brown marking will be the wound weeping, I had exactly the same thing and was worried that it may be incontinence as it was brown and continued throughout the day but Mr Windsor put my mind at rest.
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby andyk123 » 09 Apr 2013, 09:13

day 13 now. Pain has pretty much gone. Get the odd bit of pain on the incision but most of the time it doesnt hurt.
The thing im getting now is irritation/ itchiness.
It is fine most of the day, but if i walk it begins to itch, and some times it will just randomly start itching. Most i have been able to walk with out getting to uncomfortable is about 15 minute walk, although i am up and around the house most of the day. I am still getting drainage/ soiling, or whatever it is. It is like browny yellow, and i think it is that which is causing the irritation, but it does seem to be lessening.
Still no fissure pain, still sticking to healthy diet, loads of water, and 2 tea spoons of movical a day though. Feeling confident but still dont feel i am out of the woods. many a time i have gone 2-4 weeks pain free only for it to tear again. In fact week 3/4 of no pain would always seem to lead to a tear, so im feeling a little anxious that this will happen again.
Back at work next tuesday, abit nervous as im still relying on baths to get clean, and i havent actually sat upright for longer than 30 or so minutes yet.
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 09 Apr 2013, 14:11

Andy,
Sorry to hear you've gone through it all again but great to hear you are doing so well and sounds like you got great treatment too from a great CRS....
Think of it all as a "first" time again and take each day as it comes.....The surgery has hopefully sorted the issue once and for all and you won't need to feel anxious that history will repeat itself (easier said than done I know!!).....
Think of the itching as healing too!!!
Good luck with the back to work thing. It's not easy - I appreciate the reliance on home comforts and the bath/ shower head so much too but you've coped before and you'll do it again I'm sure.
Take care and fingers crossed, this sorts you out once and for all :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby andyk123 » 14 Apr 2013, 11:09

The browness has stopped. Now there is small amounts of yellow sometimes when i check, sometimes there is nothing though. Abit worried about infection as my incision pain has gone worse the last 2 days, and then with the yellow pus aswell?. I would say it is around a 4/5 on pain scale. Still no fissure pain though and BMs are pretty pain free. Muscle feels relaxed
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist