introductions and advice

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

introductions and advice

Postby ruthanneclare » 06 Apr 2013, 13:23

I'm so happy to find forum.
I've been struggling with AF for about 7 years but they were dormant for about 6 of this years. At the end of last year I started experiencing a lot of GI issues (chronic pain, bloating, constipation, diarrhea). On top of all of those issues there have been the fissures. i've also recently lost a large amount of weight.
I've seen 2 GI's and a CRS. The GI is testing me for a IBD and the CRS has said that she doesn't think I need surgery right now. i've used the nitro ointment twice the first time it worked awesome. the second time ...not so much. The CRS gave me niphedrine ointment which had to be filled at a compounding shop. I've only had it since Tuesday but I can't tell of it's working.
Here's my thing. I eat very healthy. I also take fiber, stool softeners, miralax, probiotics, enzymes. I was also very active but since the fissures have flared up I haven't been able to run or really walk because the pain is so bad.
I've tried sitz baths, hot pads, Tylenol, lidocaine cream. I can't seem to shake them. Everytime I go to the bathroom it feels like it tears the fissure right open again. sometimes there is blood, sometimes not. But i am in excruciating pain for hours after hardly able to do anything.
I am beyond frustrated with this and am missing my former active life where I wasn't constantly worried about this. It feels like whenever i workout it makes the fissure worse and i'm in a ton of pain. I am going through a particularly bad flare-up right now. I travel a lot for my job and am worried how to deal with this.
Any other tips, tricks, thoughts would be super helpful and appreciated.
ruthanneclare

Topics: 1

Re: introductions and advice

Postby momof7 » 06 Apr 2013, 19:38

Hang in there, we know how you feel.
The nifedipine/lidocaine compound has helped my severe spasms go from daily to about every 2 or 3 days. I've only been on it for less than two weeks. I'm hoping in another week I'll see more improvement.
momof7
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby owmybum » 07 Apr 2013, 14:20

Hi ruthanneclare,
It sounds like you are doing all the right things with diet, stool softeners and care.... It's just one of those things that takes time to start healing.
Don't loose hope... Keep doing what your doing... The nefadepine will start to work soon, and hopefully you will start to get some relief.
Just be sure we all know your pain on here... And can truly offer you some caring support whilst you heal.
OMB xxxx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Guest » 09 Apr 2013, 11:05

Everytime I go to the bathroom it feels like it tears the fissure right open again

Give yourself a nice lube-job before your BMs. Work it well inside your anal canal where your fissure is and it will sure cut down on the burning and re-tears after bm's. Vaseline works well for this and dont be afraid to be very generous up in there.
At the end of last year I started experiencing a lot of GI issues

So it seems if you can pinpoint why all your GI issues started this may give you a heads-up
on putting your Fissures back to sleep.
HTH

Postby ruthanneclare » 09 Apr 2013, 11:29

thanks everyone for your thoughts, advice and encouragement. I'm seeing a small bit of progress.
one question I have for y'all. all the doctors say exercise is good especially to help with the constipation. But how do you exercise with a fissure. It is so painful I can barely do anything!!
We are trying to get to the bottom (ha!) of my GI issues. Hoping for some answers from bloodwork and a colonoscopy at the beginning of may.
ruthanneclare

Topics: 1

Postby Ever the Optimist » 09 Apr 2013, 13:47

:) Hi Ruthanne,
Sorry you have to join us here on this site but we really all are a great support for each other! It's the best place to be with a fissure.
There's some really great tips - and it's so distressing when you are a generally healthy person doing all the right stuff still to get plagued by these issues. I think sometimes some of us are just more prone to a fissure with more sensitive bottoms!
I'm not a great exerciser but I do walk miles and that doesn't seem to bother me too much, also swimming is good and relaxing, and certain forms of yoga, but cycling was a bit of a no-go for me when I was in greater pain! I think weights and squats might not be such a great idea too at such times. I'm sure someone "sportier" might jump in here!!
Here's hoping you find some answers to your GI issues soon and unfortunately, it does all take a bit of time and patience until you can get yourself back on track with a fissure. I found keeping a diary a good support by seeing what helped constitute "good" days in terms of diet/ BM's/ pain relievers etc.
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again