Newer treatment for AF

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Newer treatment for AF

Postby Alfissurehater » 13 Apr 2013, 00:17

I have been suffering from anal fissures for the last year +1/2. I have used Diltiazem 2% compounded ointment with success the first time I had an anal fissure last year. This year I have one that won't go away with a skin tag that seems like a monster! I have been through all the tests(colonoscopy w/biopsies, capsule endoscopy, genetic crohn's testing, Celiac blood testing) and have been negative for everything but hemorrhoids and anal fissures. Soooo my dr decided that if Rectiv and fiber did not take care of my current fissure then he wanted me to try Interstim Therapy which he said has worked for almost all the patients he has treated...one pulled out the catheter 2 weeks into treatment so he wasn't able to get a positive result due to not being compliant durning treatment. Has anyone heard of Interstim Therapy used for anal fissures? I am trying all non-invasive treatments before I actually go through with the therapy. For now I'm just taking lots of fiber which actually helps with the pain and gonna try another month of Rectiv. When I get back from a trip in May I will go through with the therapy if the fissure still remains. I'll update everyone but for now I just want to know if anyone has heard of this? He explained the procedure very quickly and basically they put a catheter inside your booty and you hook it up to a small device about 3 times a day which sends impulses to the muscle relaxing it. This helps to heal the fissure and is done for 3 weeks. Doesn't sound as bad as LIS surgery at all but I'm scared to do something invasive like this even. Any thoughts on this newer therapy? Any experiences?
Last edited by Anonymous on 13 Apr 2013, 08:48, edited 1 time in total.
Alfissurehater

Topics: 1

Re: Newer treatment for AF

Postby delasama » 13 Apr 2013, 08:47

That sounds weird. Never heard of it. Have u tried miralax?
delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31

Postby Alfissurehater » 13 Apr 2013, 09:02

After doing the whole prep for a colonoscopy with yellow Gatorade and Miralax I don't ever want to touch both of those things again haha! Metamucil really helps me. I was taking Magnesium pills and Rectiv for a month and those were awesome....had no blood and stayed regular everyday. Then after I finished Rectiv the blood came back after having a regular size/firm poop. I'm gonna try to listen to my dr this time around and consume Metamucil everyday and restart Rectiv. The Interstim Therapy actually is sounding good right now because I'm starting to feel desperate for any help healing. I don't mind being one of the few hundred ppl out there to try this newer therapy. It's usually used for bladder control and retention but I guess it's all in the placement of the probe where it affects the muscle and in this case it's going to be the internal sphincter muscle.
Alfissurehater

Postby jr2 » 13 Apr 2013, 09:11

I haven't had it but I have heard of it. If you do try it, please do keep us posted. It is always really helpful to hear about new ways of approaching treatment. I'm actually super impressed that you have a doctor who is this current and up to date on the newest things to try.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Alfissurehater » 13 Apr 2013, 09:31

Yes my CRS is awesome. He's been on that show the Dr's a couple times to talk and actually tries newer improved techniques for hemorrhoid treatment as well. He made my hemorrhoids disapear with sclerotherapy so at least that's fixed for now so i dont have to get those surgeries! I think he worked at Cedar Sinai Hospital in Los angeles and now has his own business in Simi Valley,CA. Am I allowed to say his name? @jr2
I'm kind of scared for how much it will cost me for the therapy since I have PPO insurance and already went through vigorous amounts of testing last year to check for any bowel diseases and have second opinions. Last year was very expensive but well worth it finding out that I was ok and didn't have something worse like the dr's thought.
Alfissurehater

Postby jr2 » 13 Apr 2013, 10:40

it's always refreshing to hear about doctors who are willing to keep innovating and being open to less aggressive therapies. In particular, surgeons, since they of course specialize in surgery.
Sure, we've had members share doctor's names before, and I'm not aware of any reason not to. It's really about your comfort level in sharing.
I do like to keep my own lists of doctors in different areas in case anyone pops up who is looking for a doctor that a board member has had a good experience with, so if you would feel comfortable to share his name either here or in private message to me, that would be great.
jr2

Topics: 15