Still not healed after LIS, now CRS wants to try Botox..

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Still not healed after LIS, now CRS wants to try Botox..

Postby Dan_88 » 15 Mar 2013, 07:24

Hey everyone,
As some of you may have read in my previous posts, I had LIS roughly 6 months ago, and while overall I am doing pretty well, I haven't been able to fully heal. My pain levels are low, it is more little pains now and then plus some discomfort. I saw my CRS yesterday and he actually seems pissed off that it hasn't healed still (not as much as I am though). He has never had anyone not heal after surgery, with the exception of those with IBD, which I have had ruled out.
When he inspected me yesterday he commented that I didn't seem very tight down there anymore, however he now thinks that I should give botox a go. He said he doesn't want to perform further surgery because he doesn't want to risk permanently weakening my internal sphincter too much, but with botox it isn't permanent. Has anyone else had botox done? And if so what was your experience with it?
I'm happy to give it a go despite the ridiculous cost, however since I've already had LIS I really don't see the point. He did mention that he may not have cut enough when he did the LIS which could be the reason for not healing, however he said I didn't feel too tight, and I never really get spasms anymore, it's just that sharp pain sometimes. Any insight or advice would be appreciated :)
Dan_88
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: Still not healed after LIS, now CRS wants to try Botox..

Postby suzyljank » 15 Mar 2013, 07:38

Just curious but I've never heard of botox after LIS especially if you don't seem to be tight. I don't know how long you had your fissure but if you've had it a while it could have a lot of scar tissue that may be causing it not to heal fully. Might be worth getting a second opinon from a different CRS before you do anything else.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby jdhouseholder » 13 Apr 2013, 20:39

Dan, when I read this post I felt I had written it myself. This is my story too! Had LIS in May of 2012. Tore again a couple of weeks ago. Went back to dr and he told me the same thing, so going for Botox Wednesday. Have you had yours done yet? I am very nervous because I am not going to be sedated and am terrified of the pain.
jdhouseholder
Salt Bather

Botox...

Postby Bajan » 13 Apr 2013, 21:02

Hi Dan_88...
Just read your posting and thought I would reply.
This is the 'readers digest short version'...About 9 months ago, I had LIS surgery done at a clinic in Toronto, Ont. Although they were very good, the procedure was not successful.
After further examinations and consultations, I was referred to the head surgeon at the North York General Hospital, who happens to be a CRS.
After seeing him...he recommended we try botox before considering a second LIS.
I went through that...three needles in the arse...and $440. later, with no relief.
I ended up having a second LIS in late November, and after several months of healing, I have my life back.
The Dr. at the hospital was fabulous.
Re: Botox...
If you are having this done...relax. The pain involved is minor compared to the fissure pain.
I also fought with my health insurance plan, and they eventually covered the cost.
Good luck.
All the best,
Bacon.
Bajan
Fibre Addict

Postby CrackinUp » 14 Apr 2013, 06:28

There is another alternative medicine similar to Botox called Gonyautoxin which has a near (or has a) 100% success rate. It's been tested since 2005 but isn't widely available yet. Might be worth asking if you can trial that!
http://www.wjgnet.com/1948-9366/pdf/v2/i7/231.pdf
CrackinUp
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby owmybum » 14 Apr 2013, 07:09

That's a very interesting study... Thanks cracking!
I've never heard of gonyautoxin before!!
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Fernie1 » 15 Apr 2013, 22:30

Wow I too had an unsuccessful LIS. My LIS was on June 2012. After a round of nefedepine that didn't work either I was told botox was the next step too. I have switched crs since then and am now on nitro. Nitro helps but hasn't healed me either. Hope botox works..haven't been offered botox by my new crs. New crs did mention a possible second LIS...reading Bajan's story has brought me hope....he got his life back and that's wonderful!
Fernie1
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Aliaa » 22 Oct 2016, 09:32

Hey Dan
I have been reading your posts and wondering how you are doing now. Are you back to normal after all this suffering?! Hope u r doing better
Aliaa
Salt Bather

Topics: 8