Botox Round 2 scheduled; thinking of cancelling

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Botox Round 2 scheduled; thinking of cancelling

Postby trieditall » 18 Apr 2013, 04:44

Hello all,
So long story short... 2 years of chronic fissure. It used to heal and then re-open, but ever since I had my first botox injection it's been much worse overall. the stretching/ripping involved in that procedure made my fissure much deeper, more painful, and it developed a skin tag. There is so much scar tissue and the doctor just recommended that I get another round of botox (first round was in December). Well, of course, I haven't had pain now for nearly two weeks and botox is scheduled for next week so I'm terrified of having it rip everything open all over again and make it all worse.. again. Now, let me stress that this fissure is no where near HEALED. It is a mess of scar tissue and skin tag down there, but right now, I am not having PAIN! So, during the day, it doesn't feel like I even have a fissure. The only thing I have changed is that I am now using a coconut oil and vitamin e suppository at night. I don't know if it's actually healing it or if it's just making things work better during a morning BM, but whatever it's doing, I have not had pain since I started.
I have been here before... where things improve and I have false hope of healing.. only to have the monster rip open and ruin many days again.. but I am leaning towards cancelling my botox next week in fear that it will set me back more than help due to the stretching/ripping involved in the procedure. I also don't feel like I'm having spasms... I just think there's so much scar tissue down there that it can't heal... is there anything to do for that that isn't totally crippling? My doctor isn't concerned about the scar tissue, but I'm starting to not trust him very much.
Any response is welcomed! Thanks!
trieditall
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Re: Botox Round 2 scheduled; thinking of cancelling

Postby JHH » 18 Apr 2013, 05:33

If you are not having spasms, and you are painfree, I would not have botox again if I were you.
As long as you can keep the stools soft, and avoid spasms, I think you will be on the right path without botox :D
Cant you just rescedule the botox a month later, and see what happens in the meantime?
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16

Postby Englanddevon » 18 Apr 2013, 10:21

Hi tried it all, sympathise with you, your story sounds very similar to mine, skin tags etch and I'm 6 days post my first round of Botox. I think that jhh's advice is probably best, keep a Botox appointment but just put it back slightly so you've got that safety net if things turn nasty again, fingers crossed that you continue to heal x
Englanddevon
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby trieditall » 18 Apr 2013, 16:18

thanks for the responses. I cancelled! For now I'm not rescheduling I think I want to see a different doctor anyway. Third doctor might be the one that actually helps!
Does anyone know if there's a way to get rid of scar tissue without surgery? Or I guess what I really want to know... is it possible for a fissure to ever heal with the scar tissue there? Experience from someone who has healed with lots of scar tissue would be great :)
trieditall
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby suzyljank » 18 Apr 2013, 17:50

Hi, There really is no way to get rid of scar tissue short of surgery. If it's just a small amount of scar tissue, stool softeners and diet can manage it but if you have a lot of scar tissue and you notice your bms getting thinner and thinner surgery may be an option. What's happening when you have a chronic fissure is that while it may heal if it keeps retearing it creates more scar tissue. Sometimes LIS can help but if the scar tissue is significant an advancement flap is usually recommended. In that procedure they scrap away some of the scar tissue and take a piece of fresh tissue and put it in it's place. Basically a skin graft. There are many types of advancement flaps but their goal is the same, to replace damaged tissue with healthy tissue. I'm scheduled for a unilateral sliding flap anoplasty next friday. I got most of my scar tissue from an old hemmie surgery, then I got 2 fissures, one healed the other one required LIS but it wasn't enough because I have too much scarring. I'm a little nervous about the procedure but right now I can't pass anything wider than a thin pencil and that's not great. I eat a good diet and plenty of fiber and I use 1 tsp. miralax in the afternoon and a heaping capful at bedtime. It's great stuff but sometimes even with the miralax things can get a little difficult to pass and I will tear. I've been dealing with this for 5 years now and I would like to get my life back. My CRS told me botox is good for an acute fissure but not so good for a chronic one. He said if botox helps but wears off and you get the same symptoms you would benefit more with LIS because it's permanent. I hope you find what works best for you. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic