Had Fissurectomy on March 21, 2013

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Had Fissurectomy on March 21, 2013

Postby Guest » 25 Apr 2013, 09:43

I am a 45 year old female. I had a chronic fissure since August 2012. Here's my experience.
A day before the surgery I had to take Milk of Magnesium 6 TBSP (at 10 am). By next morning I had four BMs. The fissure during BMs did not hurt because it was watery and yellow. The enema experience was something that I had known during sigmoidscopy. I had to give two enemas - each at one hour intervals. At the hospital, they first tested my urine and then I was taken to a room and was sedated. When I came back to my senses, I had this huge heavy feeling in my thighs. The doctor just advised on eating solid food and sent me home.
Next day evening I had my first BM hard as a rock. My mistake was that I strained to get it over soon (no patience I guess) and blood was visible on the poop (very little though). Next morning again I pushed and I saw little blood stuck on the poop. This time it got me worried and I called my on-call doctor since it was Saturday, and he mentioned that blood is the result of pushing. He said I should just relax and let the poop slide out. Surprisingly, I had no pain because the numbness lasted for at least three days after the surgery.
The doctor was right, my next BM was very relaxed and complete with no blood. Everything is about the diet. The diet should at least have 25-30 mg of fiber for females (Men 40 mg) who weigh around 110 to 120 pounds. I weigh 120 pounds. I was surprised to know that I was missing on the fiber after calculating everything that I ate. I had one naval orange before breakfast just to start my day with Vitamin C. I chewed it like a cow, slowly. Breakfast would be brown rice pancakes (whole food market- gluten free pantry brown rice pancake and waffle mix) or dosa (Indian dish that has brown rice and legume fermented batter). I used only egg whites for the pancake because the yoke has lot of protein that may harden my stool. Also used very little milk due to its calcium content which may have adverse effect on the stools. I used only Olive Oil (lots and lots to make my stool soft and passable). Remember chewing is very important because saliva helps to create a BM. Breakfast would be at 8.00 sharp with 4-6 pancakes (plain) with zico coconut water (it has electrolytes). Medium/small glass of water every hour without fail beginning from 7.00am until 7.00 pm. At 10.00 am 8-10 strawberries (organic). At 11.00 am 20 black grapes. At 12 am one can of Progresso High in Fiber Vegetable soup (provides 14 mg of fiber- 2 servings in one can contains carrots, sweet peas, potatoes, tomato soup, and many other vegetables). Yay ! .. At 2.00 pm two big slices of Honey Dew Melon. At 4.00 another round of pancakes (just two this time). At 6.00 one more fruit of naval orange. At 7.00 another can of vegetable soup from whole food market (Health Valley Organic - on can contains 4 + 4 = 8 g of fiber). By the end of the day, I usually get 35 g of fiber in my belly. I usually take 20 minutes to eat my food chewing thoroughly and coating it with saliva. This is the only thing that will help create a BM. I also drizzle 2 TBSP of olive oil and 2 TBSP of sesame seed oil in my soup to lubricate it. Also add 5 florets of cooked broccoli (afternoon and evening) to keep my stool soft and hydrated. This diet provided me with Vitamin C, A, and E that is very important for speedy healing. The diet should be heavy so that there is formation of poop. If there is no pressure of heavy diet, the poop will not have an easy way out. Also, too much fiber will make you go many times, so keep your fiber intake between 25-30 g. Eating less than that does not help. I learned this the hard way.
After three days, I started feeling the surgery pain after every BM. I guess, the numbness started going away and the pain kicked in. The pain is a bit unbearable but remember to have sitz bath immediately after the BM. This eases the pain a lot. Sitz bath is very important (at least 3 to 4 times a day even if one hates to sit on a hard surface). Sitz bath relaxes the pelvic floor (very important) and the muscles around it. Our colon passes through the pelvic floor. Therefore, sitz bath is important to relax all the muscles and nerves around it. I didn't take any pain killer (it dries the stools) but kept my Miralax regime of 1 cap every night after dinner and one stool softner (Colace) after lunch.
Lying down on the side instead on your back helps to heal sooner. Do not lift or push heavy stuff at least for 2 weeks. During sitz bath sit on one cheek with the other leg folded up (like it is touching your chin). Remember to breathe deeply so that the rectum stays relaxed and the warmth of the water is felt. I applied Diltiazim 2% four times a day just like the doctor asked me to. I usually had two BMs (one at 5 am and the other at 11 am). The olive oil helped to keep the BM soft and sesame seed oil helped to have a complete BM. Complete BM is important too because if there is something left behind that that hardens and a small portion of your BM next time will be harder. However, do not worry if you didn't have a complete BM. Stressing usually dries poop. I usually get up and start playing games on the cell :-). Give it some time and you will have another reflex in half an hour or an hour once your mind is off of it. Sesame seed oil has magnesium and therefore helps to retrain bowels. It helps to bring the reflex back.
The pain after BM (the first week) lasted for about 4 hours for two weeks. I also walked a bit after three days after the surgery (just around the bed) to keep the stomach muscles working. The pain vanished as soon as the third week started. The feeling of fullness in the rectum still remained until the end of fourth week. I stopped taking Colace after the second week. Miralax was stopped too after the third week. I haven't changed my diet yet. The same will be continued at least for three months.
I feel good now with a little bit of temporary fullness-feeling in the rectum between the bowels until 11 am. The key is to chew food, sitz bath (3 times 30 minutes for the first two weeks and then 4 times, 10 minutes for the next two weeks) drink 9 glasses of water, and have a diet full of fruits, vegetable, brown rice, olive oil (first cold pressed) and sesame seed oil, 1 stool softner (first two weeks) and 1 cap Miralax (for three weeks).
I have stopped applying the prescription cream now and have been applying olive oil on my rectum just two times a day (ie after a bowel movement). The indication that you are drinking enough water is to have your urine color pale yellow. The indication that you are having good well hydrated stool is when the stools are flushed it will have a dissolving effect. However, they would come out like small sausages. Good Luck to all who are undergoing this surgery. It has helped me and so will help you too. Praying and trusting in God are two equally important activities for a speedy recovery. I had many friends praying for me but without trust nothing will help to endure the suffering. So trusting God is equally important to benefit from prayers. God Bless you all ! There is hope and cure.
Last edited by Guest on 25 Apr 2013, 12:04, edited 3 times in total.

Re: Had Fissurectomy on March 21, 2013

Postby Savaici » 25 Apr 2013, 10:47

Hi Mabs and welcome!
I moved your post so that it is more easily seen!
Glad that you are cured.
Sav
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby owmybum » 25 Apr 2013, 14:00

Hi mabs, and thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed account of your routine and diet.
Much appreciated!!
OMB
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Ozark English » 25 Apr 2013, 16:32

Sounds like you've got it down pat; thanks for the post, it's cool to see what's working for other folks out there. Hope your healing goes well!
Ozark English
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Guest » 25 Apr 2013, 18:46

owmybum wrote:Hi mabs, and thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed account of your routine and diet.
Much appreciated!!
OMB
:-) ..

Postby Guest » 25 Apr 2013, 18:48

Ozark English wrote:Sounds like you've got it down pat; thanks for the post, it's cool to see what's working for other folks out there. Hope your healing goes well!

Thank you. :-).