Scheduled surgery!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Scheduled surgery!

Postby momof7 » 28 Apr 2013, 14:52

Scared to death, but finally did it.
I saw the CRS on Wed. I got a Rx for valium and he sent away to a specialized pain management compounding pharmacy for a new cream that has at least 5 different meds in it. Something in the lidocaine family, nifedipine, another smooth muscle relaxer, a skeletal muscle relaxer, and ketamine (a surgical anesthetic primarily used in children). It is supposed to be miraculous.
The valium is already helping, and I have only found it to make me relaxed, not too dopey at all...though everyone is different.
Since I drive a schoolbus, I take it right after my routes, and a half one at bedtime with an ambien, and my regular laxative cocktail. Waiting for the new cream to come in. Supposed to rub it into the sphincter for two to three minutes for its best effectiveness. So, my last driving day is June 6 and surgery is for June 7th. I'm having LIS and hemorrhoidectomy...and maybe THD. My hemmies are probably too severe for the THD, but there might be a combination of approaches used. I have major ckin tags and scarring at the anterior position. I thought I had posterior fissure but CRS said anterior ulceration with scar tissues. my bleeding in the posterior position may be from hemorrhoids. He wants to do a colonoscopy at the time of surgery...*IF* I can handle the pre-op prep. (68 ounces of miralax plus docusate sodium...till i run out of miralx or i run out of poop.)
He told me that the hemorrhoidectomy with external incisons and stitches is the worst thing he does to his patients. And he routinely does full colon removals. So, yeah, I'm scared...He said for me to expect the first 5 days living in the bathtub in sheer agony along with two full weeks of torture and then two weeks of real pain, then I'd feel better. I guess it really is darkest before dawn.
So, I've been reading everyone else's surgery and recovery notes trying to prepare mentally.
I will be happy to write my success story when this is over and done.
momof7
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Re: Scheduled surgery!

Postby jr2 » 28 Apr 2013, 19:20

momof7
So glad to hear you went to the doctor and that you have a treatment plan in place that you feel comfortable with, even though in the shorter term it will mean enduring what sounds like a tough surgical recovery, but you never know, it might not turn out to be as bad as you imagine.
The compounded cream sounds interesting. When you get it, could you let us know the names of the medications in it? It's always nice to keep up to date on the different concoctions being tried.
We're all here cheering you on and we too can't wait for your success story!
jr2

Topics: 15

Re: Scheduled surgery!

Postby suzyljank » 29 Apr 2013, 02:52

Hi, I know exactly how you feel, my surgery was Friday, I had a double advancement flap. Follow all your doctors instructions and make sure you have what you need at home before your surgery , it makes it easier. Do you have someone to help you after? That's so important. My behind can get really uncomfortable but between my friends and family and the lovely people in this group, everyone keeps me looking forward to better days. My doctor told me I wasn't going to like him very much the next two weeks but he said in about six to eight weeks I would be happy enough to bake him a cherry pie. We'll see about that. I wish you a successful surgery and speedy recovery. If you get scared or really down reach out and talk to someone it really helps. My prayers will be with you. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic