Going for LIS on April 30, 2013, need help to calm down!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Going for LIS on April 30, 2013, need help to calm down!

Postby howtobepositive » 28 Apr 2013, 14:36

Hi guys,
Ok so as some of you might remember I am going through with the LIS day after tomorrow! Excited, nervous, scared, anxious, happy - all at the same time!
Alright so I have a few questions with respect to the LIS as follows, hopefully someone here can help me out:
1. I have been dealing with IBS for a few years now, and I think the inconsistent BM's over the years caused by IBS are a major reason why I ended up with an AF in the first place. So right after the LIS and going forward, what can I do to ensure that the BM's are good consistency so that the AF heals asap and doesnt come back?
2. Do you take any miralax or softners after the LIS as well? I have been on softners for a few months now so was wondering if that continues or stops?
3. I am guessing you are given some pain meds, which from my experience lead to constipation, which as we all know isnt good for the AF, so how do you break this cycle?
4. I have an office job so how long do you guys think I need to be off work after the LIS?
5. In general, especially for the people who have had success with LIS, what "things" did you guys do on your own or were told by the surgeon to do, in order to promote healing and ensuring AF doesnt come back?
6. What dietary recommendations do you guys have to ensure BM consistency and regularity?
7. I currently take probiotics, softners and anti anxiety medication on a daily basis. I have read in a few posts on here that the following supplements really help - Zinc, Vit b12complex, Magnesium, peppermint oil, vit E and aloe vera. I have started Vit B12 complex, peppermint oil and aloe vera as of today and will continue after the LIS. Does anyone have any input on these? I talked to my family doctor about these and he just seemed pretty indifferent and kind of told me go ahead and try if you want but didnt say that any of these really help. Except he is a big advocate of the enteric coated peppermint oil for IBS!
8. What else? Is there something I need to be aware of that I havent listed on here??
Thanks so much for taking time out to hear me out. I will keep you guys posted and fingers crossed! Image
howtobepositive
Salt Bather

Topics: 20

Re: Going for LIS on April 30, 2013, need help to calm down!

Postby ravians » 28 Apr 2013, 23:54

I m sorry can't help u answering ur q cz I haven't gone through lis yet but will go through the procedure this Thursday. why r u taking anti anxiety it also slows does bm. wishing u a successful lis. n please mention from how long u r suffering fissure problem n how many fissures do u have n do u have any skin tags? take care
ravians
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby Davo » 29 Apr 2013, 02:39

Hi,
So tomorrow is your big day!
It is completely natural to feel nervous about surgery of any sort but to be honest it will be over before you know it. The surgery itself takes around ten minutes maximum (my surgeon says the actual time taken is more like two minutes) however you may be in a little longer as the surgeons like to check for any other conditions at the same time or if you need something such as a skin tag removing, etc.
If you would like to see the full diary of events during LIS take a look at my diary:
http://anal-fissure.org/t4589-my-lis-diary-march-2012-fully-healed-in-4-weeks
So to try and answer a few of your questions:
1.I can’t really help with your IBS as this is something I don’t suffer from however if in order to maintain a regular and soft BM you need to avoid processed or junk foods. So lots of fruits, vegetables, brown bread/rice, wholemeal pastas and lots of water. Alcohol should be drank in moderation as this dehydrates the body and makes the stool dry out. So in general you need live a healthy lifestyle and exercise whenever you can. This does not mean an end to eating all the foods you love or to become tee-total and once you have healed you can pretty much live the life you want but it certainly should be maintained for the first month or two post surgery.
2.Stool softeners were given to me to take for the first week or two post-surgery – I would not want to rely on them in the long term though. My surgeon advised me to keep a small supply of Movicol (similar to Miralax) at home and only use them very occasionally and only if needed however I never really use them anymore unless I become bunged up due to excessive eating or drinking!!
3.Painkillers – Only use them if you really need them, they will constipate you and that is something you really don’t want post-surgery.
4.I would personally allow for at least one week off work – you will read accounts of people returning to work after a day or two but your body needs to recover properly so don’t go rushing back!
5.The key to quick successful healing is a good diet, exercise and extremely high level of personal hygiene. The biggest risk from LIS in the first few weeks is infection so constant baths, showers, sitz baths are important. After passing a BM dab the area with damp cotton wool (you guys over the Atlantic have a different name for cotton wool but I can’t remember what it is) then jump in the bath or sitz bath. It is also a good idea to clean using a hand held shower head. Once you have cleaned properly dab the area very gently with a clean towel or use a hair dryer and ensure the area is VERY dry.
6.As per answer number 1
7.I can’t comment on the med’s however magnesium is great for maintaining a soft BM
8.Pamper yourself, eat well, exercise and stay clean and you should be back on your feet in a flash
Good Luck
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby sidra1968 » 29 Apr 2013, 10:49

Hey, congrats on the upcoming LIS and don't worry, seriously! I had it almost 4 years ago and it wasn't bad at all.
I also have IBS. Every night since that surgery I take a capful of Miralax before bed - because my IBS is mostly pretty severe stomach cramps every morning, only relieved by elimination about 4 times over the next 2 hours. If I miss a dose, it seems to be bulkier and I am for one NEVER gonna chance another fissure if it's the last thing I ever do. I was practically suicidal the pan was so bad.
I think you'll probably only need a week off if you sit at a desk, but I do not do that for a living so maybe you'll need a bit more time.
Good luck and again, do not be worried, for real! I told that surgeon as they IV'd me up.."let's get this party started!"
sidra1968
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby howtobepositive » 30 Apr 2013, 11:33

Im here!! Im here!!! In the bed waiting to be hauled away..... No bm this am so i hope the one after lis isnt that big! Im sooo nervous, I really hope this works!
Hopefully I will see you guys on the other side!!
howtobepositive
Salt Bather

Topics: 20

Postby Savaici » 30 Apr 2013, 11:37

Best of luck to you howtobepositive for today. Will be here for you 'on the other side'. Image
Great post from Davo, which has some good advice!!
Sav
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby alesme » 30 Apr 2013, 13:57

Great posts, I'm going in to follow your progress as I am scheduled for this Friday. I am conflicted since I am in no real pain but have had blood on my bm since Feb and the CRS says this is the only way to heal it. I hate to feel like I'm rushing it but I've had previous fissures for the last 20 years that all healed on their own in a couple of days. I guess being 51 accounts for one of the reasons I am not healing as quickly. This forum has been a godsend. Good luck howtobepositive I hope your (rear)end's in sight!
alesme
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby jr2 » 30 Apr 2013, 14:14

howtobepositive
i'm sorry i didn't see this sooner, but I hope your surgery went well and that your recovery is as easy as it can possibly be.
Keep us posted!
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby suzyljank » 30 Apr 2013, 16:07

Hi, good luck on your surgery (howtobepositive).
Alesme go for the surgery. I suffered for a long time too, by the time I had LIS it wasn't enough. I had torn and healed over and over again. I had created so much scar tissue my life was centered around my trips to the bathroom and pain.
I'm 5 days out from a double advancement flap surgery. I'm very sore at times because the donor sites for the grafts were left open so they wouldn't cause tension around the rectal area. The best way to describe it is like two intense burns. Keeping things clean hurts. I have a narcotic pain medicine but I choose not to use it until it's time to go bed and I only use half. I'm still afraid of constipation, I wonder if that fear will ever go away. Don't be afraid of LIS, if that's the only surgery your doctor is doing it only take a few minutes. I wish you a speedy recovery and a life free of pain. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 30 Apr 2013, 17:06

Good luck on your recovery!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8