New to This

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New to This

Postby painfullyunsure » 04 May 2013, 10:24

I'm a 42 year old female who has had chronic constipation my entire life.
I'm lactose intolerant and have IBS (both constipation related)
I've had external hemorrhoids before, without much of an issue.
In my 30's I went to my regular doctor with a severe burning when I sat and he gave me a rectal exam and immediately said I had a fissure and gave me cortisone suppositories that seemed to cure it within 2 applications.
This time back in December of 2012 I started to feel some discomfort and feared the possibility of another fissure, therefore I went my new GP and they gave me the cortisone suppositories, worked some, didn't think much about it. Stopped using them. The pain started to come back.
In Feb. I went to my Gastro dr where he put me on the new drug Linzess to help with my chronic constipation and said the next step would be to go to the CRS.
Things have gotten much worse. I've missed a lot of work, I cannot sit.
I've been to the CRS twice, both times he says I have a very small fissure and several internal hemorrhoids, but nothing so bad that should cause me the kind of pain I'm describing. He gave me a compound of three different medicines - this burned so bad I had to stop using it.
All three doctors say a Sitz bath it a healing agent also.
I've been doing 2 sitz baths a day, every time I get out of the bath I pat my skin dry and also let it air dry, again it is like I'm on fire.
Also when I try to go to work and sit, I have to shift from one side to the other, the pain still radiates up towards my back. One more thing my left side seems to be worse than my right.
Has any one experienced their colon rectal surgeon saying they should not be in the amount of pain they are?
I'm so confused!
painfullyunsure

Topics: 1

Re: New to This

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 04 May 2013, 10:59

Welcome to the forum! I can't help with your pain question but I have been through a lot of seat cushions looking for one that would allow me to sit. A 'guest' posted this link:
http://icnshop.com/cgi-bin/ustorekeeper.pl?command=goto&file=DailyComfort-ChairCushions.html
I bought the cushion he described (padding under both legs, nothing down the middle) and it's the only one I've found that helps me. I sit for my job and it's been pure hell. I've had to cut back to part-time (I'm self-employed so that just means less work less income, not getting fired). Anyhow, just thought this might help one aspect of your situation. Are you using salt in your sitz bath? I do but others say don't, as it can irritate. Also, if you haven't been for a second opinion consider that. My mainstream PA (in the rectal clinic) could only tell me I had a fissure, a naturopath I consulted gave me more detailed information. Turned out my fissure is huge and there was no question about why the pain. I asked him why sitting hurt so much. He said it put pressure on the AF and also probably caused stretching of that area. I have made make-shift computer stations at home and at the office so I can stand whenever possible. This is better for me. I hope you find the help you need!!!! Keep at it! Image
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby Guest » 04 May 2013, 11:50

welcome painfullyunsure
We sure have heard Dr's saying you should not be experiencing that kind of pain. Some docs just don't seem to get it. But I personally haven't been to a Dr.
Your heightened pain may be associated with sphincter spasm, where your muscles around your fissure are literally contracted literally pulling on the fissure giving you increased pain.
The sitz bath relaxes the muscles and stops the spasm, but as you say it can start up again once out of the showers/sitz.
Thats where the Nitro or Dilt creams come in handy as these will relax the muscles even when not in showers/sitz. Your left side may be worse than your right simply because thats where the tear is. Radiating pain sure is a sign of spasmodic fissures.
HTH GL

Postby painfullyunsure » 04 May 2013, 13:21

Thanks, that makes sense.
painfullyunsure

Postby marg6043 » 04 May 2013, 14:07

painfullyunsure, sorry to hear you are in so much pain and doc seems no to think that you should be.
Did the doctor look inside or just the outside of the fissure.
Sadly it happens.
Specially when the doctor do not do an internal examination to see the extend of the fissure, while it may seem small on the part that is visible the inside part of it may extend deeper and so the fissure.
Fissures are painful, that is not doubt in anybody minds that have experienced this condition.
So you are not alone and should no worry about what your doctor told you.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby Rachael 1984 » 04 May 2013, 14:25

Hi painfully unsure. I know this pain level, it is truly horrible. I was in pain 24/7. Burning, spasms and stabbing pains. When the CRS got in there I had 2 internal hems and 2 Fissures. I just think the CRS don't understand the pain we go through. Since Botox and Banding I am doing a lot better, but need to heal. It's a roller coaster ride.Keep up hope, we are here to support each other. Image
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby painfullyunsure » 04 May 2013, 15:30

My CRS did do the internal exam, twice, my husband went back the 2nd time because he just couldn't believe the doctor was saying the pain should not be bad. My husband sees me in tears daily. The compound the CRS prescribed for me was Nifed/Lid/Surc 0.4/5/7 not sure what all of that means but it burned, after that I even stopped using the cortisone suppositories, just too scared, everything seems to burn. I see so many people post that they have been going through this for so long, I don't know how.
So I'm beginning to think I must have the internal hemorrhoids, fissure, and the spasms that are all working against each other, is that possible?
painfullyunsure

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 04 May 2013, 23:59

Hmmmm, I do remember earlier on in my experience I thought the cortisone was making it worse (burning). I thought putting this on an open fissure can't be good. The naturopath I saw assured me it was OK to put the steroid cream on the fissure site. The lidocaine is for pain relief and of course the nifedipine to prevent/reduce spasm. I think after I heard it explained I trusted the ointments more and used them and did benefit. It looks like a good strength of lidocaine (the 5 in your equation). You might ask your doctor or pharmacist if you might have a sensitivity to any of these. The pain can be really intense. At times I've felt like I've been through childbirth on a daily basis. Or like I had a clamp on my butt after BM's. Keep trying measures to help you cope. The sitz baths, or I use a heating pad to relax the after-pain or spasms, keeping those poops soft and passable--all of it! Your doctors can help but you also have to figure out what helps your own body. That's what I've been learning along the road of this sometimes hellish journey!
Hope you find some relief!!! :o
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10