Considering second LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Considering second LIS

Postby Venty » 28 Mar 2013, 14:58

Thanks everyone for your advice.
I'm wondering if any of you have any recommendations for a skilled colo rectal surgeon in the Manhattan area? Any names would be very helpful. I want to get a serious second opinion.
Venty
Venty
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby becsbum » 08 May 2013, 18:27

Venty I was wondering how you are doing and whether you have made any decisions (or improvement!). I seem to be in the same boat as you. One month after LIS I was fully healed although not yet perfectly comfortable. 2 months after surgery I was feeling almost totally better. 3 months after surgery I re-tore. It is now 2 weeks later and it hasn't healed up. I started using nifedepine again this week to see if that will help. I have an appointment for a second opinion on May 20 (couldn't get into MY crs until mid June anyway). The crs who did my surgery is supposed to be quite good but she is also conservative (no fissurectomy, minimal cutting).
becsbum
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby bgd » 09 May 2013, 08:21

I read an article which stated that conservative cutting is no good, since the remaining muscle fibers will go into intense spasm to compensate the cut fibers. If I remember correctly you need to cut one (or two?) third of the muscle. It is enough for the top one 3rd to remain intact in order to avoid incontinence.
bgd
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby becsbum » 09 May 2013, 15:27

Interesting. I know my surgeon cut more than 1/3 but don't know if it was more than that. I'm not having spasms anymore though, just re-tears. Still hopeful healing can happen!
becsbum
Salt Bather

Postby Venty » 10 May 2013, 14:51

I'm not healed yet but the pain is somewhat manageable. I honestly do not have the courage to go through the surgery a second time knowing there is no guarantee that this will heal. I'm also very scared about the possible incontinence issues.
Venty
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby becsbum » 10 May 2013, 15:12

Venty - thanks for the update. I'm sorry to hear you are still suffering! I know at this point even if the physical pain isn't horrible, the emotional toll is huge. :( please update if you do get a second opinion.
becsbum
Salt Bather

Postby powderblue » 15 Sep 2014, 06:15

Can we get an update on your status? How is your healing?
powderblue
Salt Bather

Topics: 10