How do you guys deal with anal itching?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

How do you guys deal with anal itching?

Postby levelworm » 11 May 2013, 21:07

(I have a chronic anal fissure and 1~2 small herromoids)
Very strangely this itching happens BEFORE the recurrence of my fissure (that is one month ago) and now, when it seems to be healing (no blood, small pain during BM). The point is this itching is MUCH WORSE than the pain and sometime I do believe it's better to deliberatedly get constipated and tear the wound again so I won't be bothered with the itching again.
In the morning, the itching comes back immediately after I wake up, then it is more severe after the BM and it's really difficult not to scratch it. It starts from the inside of the anal and then spreads to the surrounding area. It would go on for around an hour. During the rest of the day it does not come back or just shows itself slightly. Then at around 10 pm it comes back again but starts from the OUTSIDE firstly and somehow spreads to the inside in half an hour. It is almost like clock-work and I can make precise prediction about the time and length of my suffering next day.
I'm only using Zincofax (zinc-oxide) now as there is no bleeding and the doctor said that too much hydrocostine might cause sensation so I stopped using it. Is there anyway to surpress this itching? Does Reactine (antihistamine) work for this kind of itching? Thanks in advance. I'll try to get a surgery but you know it's difficult to get an appointment here in Canada.
levelworm
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: How do you guys deal with anal itching?

Postby suzyljank » 11 May 2013, 21:41

Hi you could try an antifungal cream for excess yeast or sometimes coconut oil helps with itching. Keeping the area dry is very important too. Hope this helps. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby levelworm » 11 May 2013, 21:55

suzyljank wrote:Hi you could try an antifungal cream for excess yeast or sometimes coconut oil helps with itching. Keeping the area dry is very important too. Hope this helps. Suzy

Thanks suzyljank. Yeah when I recall the itching seems to be worse when I take too much sugar, which feeds the yeast. I'll buy the coconut oil and cut all sugar intaking.
BTW I just read about your expeirence of the LIS, hopw you recover well and quickly! I'll probably take one a couple of months away.
levelworm
Fibre Addict

Postby suzyljank » 11 May 2013, 21:58

Thanks I had LIS 5 years ago. Now I'm slowly recovering from a double advancement flap. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Vin » 13 May 2013, 11:09

I had this same exact pattern of itching and would give into it occasionally making things much worse. I tried every OTC cream to no avail. Finally I saw a dermatologist who put me on a 7 day run with a cortico steroid. Literally things began improving for me in 24 hours by the end of 7 days I was feeling 75% normal and now about 14 days out and week # 2 being one day on and one day off the steroid cream I only wish I saw him sooner. I wonder how many AF sufferers could benefit from seeing a dermo to improve some of the symptoms. The prescription I recieved was for Triamcinolone Acetonide cream usp 0.1%. Good luck to you!
Vin
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby buttquestion » 06 Sep 2013, 08:22

Question. Do you think the itching is from the skin trying to heal or it's from yeast infection?
I re-injured my fissure two weeks ago and I feel this time I am a lot more itching than 4 months ago.
buttquestion
Salt Bather

Postby buttquestion » 06 Sep 2013, 08:43

If you have yeast/fungal infection in your anus, isn't always itching? My condition is only "sometimes"... usually after I do exercise, BM or walking around. Basically when my butt muscle is used more, which seems to me is when my rectum/anus area skin is being "pulled"... which sounds more like the skin is irritated (and trying to heal) than actual infection.
Am I wrong about this? I figure if I do have infection down there, I should be itching all the time? I am not itching now when I am sitting and typing. :(
buttquestion
Salt Bather

Postby jr2 » 06 Sep 2013, 09:39

Re: Fissure without pain - is it possible?
by jr2 Today at 8:35
Anal itching can be one of those tricky things to figure out because so many different things can cause it. Fissures, hemorrhoids, yeast are all possibilities. Pruritus ani is a condition all of its own and is usually associated with the diet. Spicy foods, acidic foods (like tomatoes, citrus, etc.), onions, garlic, coffee, alcohol, etc., can all cause problems and it usually requires an elimination diet to see if symptoms improve.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby WelshDoubleFissure » 15 Sep 2013, 04:44

I've had a few bouts of itching at various stages. At one point it was the GTN cream which made it blister and itch. Then from a sanitary towel (the devil product). Then after a BM.

I found that placing a wetwipe down there helped. Along with Sudocrem and in most cases a small ice pack to to numb the receptors down there. Ice pack probably worked the best for me.
WelshDoubleFissure
VIP

Topics: 4

Postby dent1 » 20 Sep 2013, 11:16

http://www.bristolsurgery.com/article.a ... eid=100639
This has some useful advice. I must admit I ignore the bit about having nothing in the bath water - I like my lavendar and tea tree bath soak too much and it does not seem to cause any problems.
dent1
Salt Bather

Topics: 4