First LIS Surgery Next Week - What can I expect?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

First LIS Surgery Next Week - What can I expect?

Postby Kristy38 » 11 May 2013, 09:53

Hi Guys,
Well, if you've seen my other posts, then you will know that constant pain I've been through in the last 6 months, with 8 hospital admissions and 5 surgeries.
On Thursday this week, I am going back into hospital to have a Lateral Sphincterotomy. My CRS said that because my case is complex, given that I have a large anal fistula, plus a large fissure, that this is the more bold and definitive option in trying to minimise the pain, and he admitted that the fistula treatment and botox injections have been the softer, more gentle approaches up until now.
He described the surgery as laying open the fistula, and then removing some muscle in the anal sphincter, in order to relieve the pressure on the fissure.
After all this pain I've been through (as have we all, I'm sure!), I am nervous about this surgery - not the surgery as such, but the expectations of pain, BM's and recovery after the LIS surgery.
If anyone is happy to have a chat with me about their experiences about this, I'd be much appreciative! In the meantime, I'll read everybody elses posts and see what the go is.
Thanks so much guys!
Kristy38
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: First LIS Surgery Next Week - What can I expect?

Postby Ceeteefeebs » 11 May 2013, 22:33

Hi Kristy!
It sounds like you've been through the ringer this year- but here is to hoping LIS gets you to that coveted light at the end of the tunnel! I had LIS almost two weeks ago. Now, everyone has different tolerance levels for pain, and I'm not sure what other surgeries you might have had in the past year, but in my experience the LIS was a relatively minor procedure. I was expecting all sorts of horrific things, and I'm happy to say that, for me, it was just fear talking. Two weeks on and I'm on a slow upward trajectory- so I'm extremely happy I went through with the surgery. My main advice is to be patient with yourself and your body. You'll recover from the surgery much faster than your fissure will heal, so don't be distressed in the first couple weeks if you aren't feeling magically better. Some folks do instantly feel much better, others are slower to heal. Take it easy, don't stress, and try to find as much peace and relaxation as you can to aid healing. If you have specific questions about the recovery, let us know! We're happy to share our experiences and provide you with insight, guidance, comfort, and laughter.
Ceeteefeebs
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby owmybum » 12 May 2013, 02:31

Haven't had lis myself.... But just wanted to wish you luck for your surgery this week. I really hope this is the answer to all your problems, and your recovery is straight forward.
Please let us know how you get on wont you.
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby suzyljank » 12 May 2013, 05:17

Hi, if you are having only LIS, it's an easy surgery. Pain wise I never used the narcotic they gave me, I just used ibuprofen, miralax and a heating pad. I was able to sit in 2 days. I took lots of sitz baths. For me the worst part was my butt was bruised black and blue. I never looked though my husband checked it for me. It's weird because I just had a double advancement flap and there was no bruising. Sounds like you've been through so much but if you survived hemorrhoid surgery this is much easier. All the best Suzy.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Kristy38 » 12 May 2013, 07:50

Hi guys,
Thanks for all your advice and concern!
I am having LIS surgery, but also they are doing a lay-open of my fistula, and I will be having my 3rd botox injection also.
I don't quite know how the lay-open will affect me, whether it will be an open wound and make it more prone to infection, but I am hoping not!
I think that this is the last major surgery they will try before suggesting a colostomy, as far as my surgeon relayed to me. If it takes the pain away, I'm okay with that, but I am hoping beyond hope that everything they do this week will sort me out! CRS says no guarantees, but my fingers and toes are crossed!!!
I will definitely keep you all posted :)
Thank you all for your support, and I love hearing from you all!
Kristy38
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2