Scheduled for surgery tomorrow, 5-13-13

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Scheduled for surgery tomorrow, 5-13-13

Postby BootyMcOuchersons » 12 May 2013, 07:47

Hi....I'm new here. I just joined this forum a week or so ago, as I am experiencing my first fissure(s) but it seems to be a doozie. It started with one small fissure 6-7 weeks ago, which grew larger. Then a second fissure formed, along with an internal hemorrhoid. At this point I saw a GI, who gave me Nifedipine/Lidocaine cream. A week later I developed 2 external hemorrhoids, and even though I'd been taking stool softener (Colace) for 2 weeks and eating what I thought would help, my stool was still hard. I was in terrible pain, literally seeing stars and breaking out in cold sweats during BMs, so I went to see a CRS last Thursday. He examined me (as much as he could) and recommended surgery ASAP, so I'm scheduled at 10:00 a.m. tomorrow. I'm super nervous, especially after reading through this forum.
He basically said that he needed to do my exam under anesthesia, and would make the call as to the LIS and hemorrhoidectomy at that time. I'm assuming he'll definitely do the LIS. I hope he doesn't remove the hemies because I've had those for years and can deal with them, even tho they can put me down for a day or two. Does it sound like my CRS is too aggressive, or good that he's willing to solve this problem to end my suffering sooner than later? He's been a CRS for 22 years.
Who has had both the LIS and hemorrhoidectomy simultaneously? What am I in for? I have 2 weeks off work, with the 2nd week being a vacation to the beach. Will I be able to go? It's a 7 hour drive.
He has already prescribed Hydrocodon. I filled it yesterday but haven't taken any as I'm still trying to get soft stools.
I have autoimmune disorders and he told me it would take longer for me to heal. He said that 95% of people are pain free (healed) after this procedure, and the 5% who aren't healed are usually those with autoimmune problems. Anyone else have autoimmune disorders who have gone thru this? Please share your experience.
I can't stop feeling sorry for myself, and crying crying crying. I feel like a big baby, but honestly...I've never been so scared. I know you all know.
:(
BootyMcOuchersons
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Scheduled for surgery tomorrow, 5-13-13

Postby BootyMcOuchersons » 12 May 2013, 17:52

Anyone? Anyone? ...Bueller? Image
BootyMcOuchersons
Fibre Addict

Postby suzyljank » 12 May 2013, 18:13

Hi, LIS is a pretty straight forward procedure, it only takes a few minutes. Hemmohroid surgery is a bit trickier depending on what type they do. I've had both but not at the same time. I had an exam under anesthesia 2 weeks ago. It confirmed anal stenosis and so I had a double advancement flap. Make sure you're comfortable with your doctor's diagnosis and tell him what you agree he can do and if you don't want him to do something let him know up front. The hemmohroid surgery is a more uncomfortable surgery than the LIS. Make sure you keep your bms soft and easy to pass after surgery and drink lots of fluid. Just keep thinking that after tomorrow you'll be on the road to recovery. All my prayers and best wishes Suzy.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby GeorgeTheCatMan » 12 May 2013, 20:49

Sorry that I can't comment on the hemorroid and LIS, I will likely be setting an appointment for LIS soon, but the CRS has never mentioned hemorroids in my case. I've been using the ointments that you were given, they've help for a short time and then the fissure retears. The CRS told me that the LIS procedure is "no big deal" and that he doesn't understand how people can worry over a ten minutes procedure! He thinks that I'm insane for worrying but I'm so worried about after the procedure, not the procedure itself. He not the most sympathetic guy in the world. I hope that everything goes well for you, the surgeon has been around awhile and has likely done many of these already. Best wishes for tomorrow and to a quick and full recovery.
GeorgeTheCatMan
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 12 May 2013, 21:49

Hi George! I love cats, too! They don't ever seem to have these AF problems.....but we do. I think it's good your surgeon is so experienced. Just be sure to let him know your preferences,though I understand he will make the call once he gets a good look at your AF, etc. I well know the pain you have been dealing with! I have wondered how many people have passed out on the can with this kind of pain! Can surgery be any worse? I doubt it!! Here's wishing you well for a quick recovery and relief from this most miserable problem!!! Image
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby BootyMcOuchersons » 12 May 2013, 22:32

Thanks everyone. I realized tonight that I messed up my bowel prep. I have been so concerned with softening my stool that I must have overdone it and had close to diarrhea midday. I was supposed to take 2 Dulcolax tablets at 3:00, and Miralax at 7. For some reason I thought I was supposed to take the Dulcolax before bed. So at 10:00pm, when I realized my mistake, I took one Dulcolax with the Miralax. I have only had oatmeal for breakfast and soup for lunch, with a few fig newtons this afternoon. They may just send me home now since I screwed it up. I'm kicking myself for not being more on the ball.... I like to do things by the book, especially with THIS! Damn.
I'll post and let you all know how it goes for me, unless I get rescheduled.
BootyMcOuchersons
Fibre Addict

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 13 May 2013, 09:07

Just noticed my mistake in addressing George when my message was really for BootyMcOuch! Well, hugs to you both anyway! We're crossing our fingers for you and your procedure...keep us posted!
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby GeorgeTheCatMan » 13 May 2013, 14:32

Just 'pain' tired: Thanks for the comment about the cats; the always seem to know when I'm not feeling well. I'm glad to see that you like cats as well.

BootyMcOuch: Let us know how things went today when you feel up to it. I messed up a bit on a colonoscopy prep about a year ago and they were able to do it anyway; the main thing is that you're cleaned out enough for them to see what they're doing. I hope that all goes well for you.
GeorgeTheCatMan
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Ozark English » 13 May 2013, 15:30

Hey booty, hope yours went well. Looks like we had our LIS surgeries on the same day. I can totally relate to being nervous, I was scared as all get-out this morning. I came to around 1:00 PM, and so far it just feels like I took a really long nap. I hope you can keep calm and positive!
Ozark English
Fibre Addict

Postby BootyMcOuchersons » 13 May 2013, 15:41

Hi everyone, I'm home resting from my surgery. They did the LIS and fulgaration of my fissure. I didn't know what that was and looked it up; fulgaration is medically defined "to destroy by electricity". I assume that is laser? I'm so glad that my CRS opted not to do the hemorrhoidectomy! He said my fissure was large and definitely the source of my pain. My surgery started at 10:00 a.m. I left the hospital at 12:45 and it's now 5:20 p.m. I just went to the bathroom to pee and all is still totally numb down there. I feel great right now, out of pain and drugged up.
I removed the gauze wedge they had taped to my butt because it got wet with urine. It had blood on it....I'd guess a few tablespoons worth. Not too much. I coughed later and passed gas. Went to check it out and there was blood, a few spots about the size of a penny.
I kind of feel like I need to go poop, but can't really tell if its that or just gas. I'll report back later, or tomorrow and tell you how it's going for me.
Happy for now.... :)
BootyMcOuchersons
Fibre Addict