Scheduled for surgery tomorrow, 5-13-13

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Scheduled for surgery tomorrow, 5-13-13

Postby BootyMcOuchersons » 15 May 2013, 16:31

GeorgeTheCatMan wrote:I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling well. Up until about a week ago I felt ok, now it's seems that it's not getting any better as it's done in the past. I've read some horror stories on here and it's weirded my out a bit, especially since I only have one week off until July. If I wait until July I'll be able to take two weeks off which is part of why I'm trying to hold off. From what I've read, I'm not even sure that two weeks are enough. That, plus the stories of people suffering long after their surgery! Were you given any restrictions when you were discharged from the hospital as far as driving, walking, climbing stairs etc? Did the schedule you for a follow up appointment? I'm so glad to see someone doing so well after LIS; I hope that you continue to do well. Please keep updating if you can. Thanks. :)

George, I have 2 weeks off, the second of which was supposed to be my vacation to the beach. I asked my CRS if he thought I could still go, since I'd be laying around relaxing there. He said he didn't think it was a good idea, and doubted I will feel up to the trip. He said that if I did go, that I shouldn't get in any pools and the ocean would be ok as long as it was calm and no big waves to push me around. Back to the point...you will need more than one week based on what my doc said. But this is a serious medical condition causing you terrible pain...will your employer not understand that you need some "sick" days/time off? Sometimes you just have to take it and take care of yourself. I hope you find a way.
As far as activities go, no exercise for a month. No driving on pain meds.
Oh, I have IBS too. I've had a bit of a tough time finding the perfect poo with the stool softeners and laxatives, and have had loose poops from the start. Believe it or not, it's not been too bad yet. Of course, I had the long lasting (72-hour) numbing down there, which has only begun to wear off today.
Today is day 3 post LIS, and my toughest yet. Update to follow.
BootyMcOuchersons
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby GeorgeTheCatMan » 15 May 2013, 20:18

Hello BootyMc, As always thanks for the reply. The only way at this point that I can have two weeks off with pay is if I wait until July. I used alot of time last autumn for some family issues so I only have one week now and then one more come July. Any time off after one week will be without pay until then.
It seems that most people with fissures also have IBS and I posted a link about the possible connection between the two in the Interesting Websites area. My stools are almost always loose so I don't think that I'll ever get this perfect poo either. The CRS told me to take fiber and that made the stool so hard I thought I was going to loss my mind from the pain. I took stool softener and then I went back to the loose stool again. This is why I'm so terrified of this procedure. I'm afraid that I'll end up worse off then I am now. Anyway, back to your procedure, I'm sorry to hear that you had a tougher day today, I hope that it's only temporary. Are you still getting by with just the one pain pill per day? I hope that you're feeling better tomorrow. Thanks again for all of the information, it's greatly appreciated. Take care.
GeorgeTheCatMan
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Update

Postby BootyMcOuchersons » 15 May 2013, 20:45

Day 3: well, today has been a bit rough. It started last night when the long-term numbing wore off. The burning was getting pretty intense, as well as a lot of pressure that seemed like gas. I could not pass gas, even by pushing harder than I felt comfortable with, and my tummy was very poochy and hard and grumbling. Finally, around 11:00 pm I was able to pass a TON of gas during a very loose BM. There was no sharp pain during the BM, but the burning after was painful - I'd rate it a 6.5 out of 10. I got in the bath and it didn't help much. When I went to bed, I took a small ziplock bag of crushed ice, wrapped it in a paper towel and carefully wedged it in there. Such RELIEF! I was able to fall asleep that way.
I woke up at 5:30, as my body let me know it was time for a pain pill. Fell back asleep until 10:00, which was great, but when I got up I was hurting. Not just burning, but throbbing deeper pain. I got in the bath, where I discovered a small hemorrhoid had returned. I called my CRS nurse to ask if I could use any hemorrhoid creams and she said no, but that she would call in another medication for break-through pain called Tramadol. I ate some oatmeal and layed down with another ice pack. My pain level would ebb and flow, but was never more than about 6 out of 10.
My mom picked up the Tramadol and I took one around 3:00 with some soup. Within an hour I felt 100 times better, and I still do. I've continued to take the 5mg hydrocodon every 5 hours all day. I had another loose BM at some time this afternoon, with no pain. Just mild burning. Still lots of gas, but my stomach is no longer hard and the pressure is gone.
As for my incision, it has stopped bleeding and has a hardened little scab on it. I think this is good. I didn't expect to see it healing so quickly! I think my fissure is much better already too... I can't see it anymore because I'm still quite puffy, but the amount of blood I'm seeing is diminishing. Yay!
All in all, I'm still doing way better than I feared this recovery was going to be like. I pray it continues to go so well.
BootyMcOuchersons
Fibre Addict

Postby GeorgeTheCatMan » 15 May 2013, 21:03

Thanks for the update. I'm hoping that it continues going well for you.
GeorgeTheCatMan
Salt Bather

Postby BootyMcOuchersons » 15 May 2013, 21:09

GeorgeTheCatMan wrote:Hello BootyMc, As always thanks for the reply. The only way at this point that I can have two weeks off with pay is if I wait until July. I used alot of time last autumn for some family issues so I only have one week now and then one more come July. Any time off after one week will be without pay until then.
It seems that most people with fissures also have IBS and I posted a link about the possible connection between the two in the Interesting Websites area. My stools are almost always loose so I don't think that I'll ever get this perfect poo either. The CRS told me to take fiber and that made the stool so hard I thought I was going to loss my mind from the pain. I took stool softener and then I went back to the loose stool again. This is why I'm so terrified of this procedure. I'm afraid that I'll end up worse off then I am now. Anyway, back to your procedure, I'm sorry to hear that you had a tougher day today, I hope that it's only temporary. Are you still getting by with just the one pain pill per day? I hope that you're feeling better tomorrow. Thanks again for all of the information, it's greatly appreciated. Take care.

Hey George, I'm sorry. I must have miscommunicated about my pain meds (probably because I'm on pain meds! ha!) I'm taking one pain pill every 5 hours, and now have also taken the one Tramadol today in addition, for break-through pain. I will only take those as needed.
I had 3 or 4 BMs today, all of which were very loose. They did not cause me any pain at all during the BM. The mild burning after I would expect regardless of consistency. I'm still taking the Miralax twice a day. My nurse told me to half the dose until I get to toothpaste consistency. I'm not taking fiber. I usually have constipation issues, so softer is better for me right now.
I'm missing work and not getting paid, but I don't get sick pay or paid vacation where I work. It's going to be tough financially, but I had no choice. So, I understand your hesitation. I guess if you can wait, then you should because I think you'll need the 2 weeks. I'm not even a week into recovery yet tho, so someone else who is farther out may be a better person to advise you. I just hate to think of you enduring what I could not.
I'll check out your link on IBS and fissures... right now.
Hang in there. Hope you feel better soon.
BootyMcOuchersons
Fibre Addict

Postby GeorgeTheCatMan » 15 May 2013, 21:24

Actually I went back and looked at your post from right after your surgery and saw that it was me who misread your post. It's supposed to be my rear end with the problem not my eyes Image I can't imagine myself with toothpaste consistency; even though I eat almost all fruits and veggies, I'll be amazed if I get there. Image
GeorgeTheCatMan
Salt Bather

Postby Mercury » 16 May 2013, 05:38

This is much appreciated BootyMcOuch! Please continue updating as some of us seem to be heading in the very same direction and this is very helpful.
Mercury
Fibre Addict

Postby Ozark English » 16 May 2013, 18:37

Dang, Booty. Sorry to hear about the extra complication in your recovery, hope the Tramadol helps. Sounds like we're in roughly the same place, pain-wise, and I'm hoping to start seeing more signs of physical healing like yours in the future - glad to know your body is taking the steps it needs to!
George - sorry to hear your CRS isn't very sympathetic. While I can understand him saying that it's a relatively simple procedure and all (my surgeon said the same), it sounds like he could use some work in the sympathy department. Doctors who have trouble seeing eye-to-eye with patients as human beings, that just sticks in my craw like you would not believe. As for having the time off, I won't say I couldn't return to work after one week off, but I don't think I'd be very useful. In fact, I'm out most of next week even though I'm not getting paid except if I can find stuff to do from home. But if you can hold out until July (assuming you'd have to), it may well be best for you just to have that cushion for recovering more thoroughly. Whatever you choose to do, hope it works out for you, and I hope your doc pulls his head out of his butt. Good luck!
Ozark English
Fibre Addict

Postby GeorgeTheCatMan » 17 May 2013, 13:46

Hello Ozark, I just came from the C.R.S. and I'm scheduled for LIS and fissurectomy on Wednesday July10th. He's said that he's doing the fissurectomy so that he can biopsy the area. I've never heard of that, but he was behind schedule and aleady annoyed with my long list of questions so I didn't bother taking any further. I see him again on June 21st. I told him about this board and asked if he'd be interested in looking at it, he said that he wouldn't waste his time. He's so full of himself, if I could find someone as qualified nearby I'd go elsewhere. I'll be following your progress to see what sort of torture I'm in for. :)
GeorgeTheCatMan
Salt Bather

Postby Ever the Optimist » 21 May 2013, 14:55

Congrats Booty! Image
On getting it over and done with and time to move on.......
I was also relieved to read they didn't do the hemorrhoidectomy too - I think that would probably cause longer recovery and more discomfort too.....
Just look after yourself and keep reporting back with positive healing!!! All the very best to you.....
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again