AF destroying my life

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: AF destroying my life

Postby Mercury » 19 May 2013, 11:54

Thank you for All the wishes, I decided to go to work today since I haven't been for over a week and I felt better. I left home around 5 hours after the BM and while driving the pain kicked in :( It wasn't as bad as it ever was but still pretty bad.
I ended up getting to work after a 20 min drive, grabbed 3 chairs with no handles and immediately went into the fetal position for about 30 min till it calmed down :( Thank god I have an office to do this privately...
So not quite there yet. I guess I gotta stay home arrested for at least a few more days.
Mercury
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Mercury » 27 May 2013, 18:16

Ok so an update, the pain isn't getting any better I'm afraid. I'm able to keep it pretty manageable and not as bad as it was in the beginning thanks to eating much better (and much much less BTW, I lost more than 10Kg in the last 2 months...) but it's not really going anywhere. My biggest problem (well, other than the pain and my life going to hell) is that I'm unable to go to work because just getting in my car even 6 or 7 hours after a BM would absolutely kill me. I'm pretty sure they're not happy with me but what can I do? :(
Much of my pain management is thanks to lying on my side or in very specific positions and moving around brings on the pain in spades. I should state that my muscles started hurting from the lack of movement I suppose so I'm gonna start taking a walk in the morning before my BM whenever I can, hopefully it won't cause too much pain but I can't completely neglect the rest of my body cause of this...
Another thing is that it seems fibre no longer does the trick (or I'm not having enough of it) and today I had a pretty big BM for the first time in a while. All I had to eat was a Caesar salad and some grilled chicken for dinner and Fiber One for breakfast. Needless to say I had a pretty bad day, but again, the pain was still manageable (maybe a 6). Still worst than the last week or so.
It took some work but I managed to figure out that what you guys call Movicol is actually called Normalex here so I'm getting that tomorrow and hopefully it'll help some more.
I'm seeing a CRS (best one in the country, costs the same way...) on June 5th and if nothing changes, I think I'm gonna go ahead and have a LIS. I'm getting married in October and I have to be in Germany in late August. I HAVE to fix this before that time or I will be seriously depressed.
In the mean time I have a couple of Qs:
1. Rectogesic. Do I have to really get it in there or is just rubbing it around the area enough? I'm getting mixed signals here...
2. Brown rice. Is any brand good or should I look for something in particular? I'm asking because I quite like rice with beans so it would be nice to eat something i actually like. (White rice is a serious no no though. Causes real BMs and not the softer ones I've been having).
I have more Qs but I seem to have forgotten em... Maybe later, for now it really hurts to sit on this chair so I'm off.
Mercury
Fibre Addict

Postby Kreaybutt » 27 May 2013, 18:53

I don't think it matters what brand of rice it is but you should add a bit of olive oil over your rice for taste and it helps lube things up. Also there's a high fiber oatmeal that really helps me it's 10 grams of soluble fiber) I have it every morning. Quaker oats maple and brown sugar oatmeal. Black beans and rice in a whole wheat tortilla, yummy! Salads are t too great for you, I've learned on here and from experience that raw leafy veggies/salads don't digest well
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 30

Postby Ever the Optimist » 28 May 2013, 16:37

Hi Mercury,
Sorry to read this having been there too.
Unfortunately, the bottom line with a fissure is that it takes a LONG time to heal completely. This was my biggest lesson. The pattern for most fissure sufferers seems to be at least two-three months of that acute pain you describe, after then for some of us, creams & Botox have kicked in, which makes everything a bit more manageable and painless but not entirely by far. My fissure became chronic and healed after 1 yr and 5 months! but I did reach about a 3 month stage where things compared to the very beginning, were much better....LIS will very possibly speed up the healing process but even then it doesn't heal the fissure itself - it just allows quicker healing to take place.
I fully appreciate the having to work issue, as I've always worked full-time myself. When the fissure was at its worst, I used a soft pillow in the car, took lots of painkillers and just forced myself through it with constant thoughts of "This isn't always going to be like this" and now it's not.......
It takes a LOT of patience, trialing, strength and positivity to get through this but you will get there in the end......There are no short cuts I discovered but there is a lot you can try out to make life easier in the meantime.
A hot bath helped every morning before I went to work, a painkiller with breakfast, a soft cushion at work and lots of distracting techniques too.
There are lots of opinions on how best to use the Recto - Some are unable to apply internally because of the pain it causes but other use syringes to help with this issue. I used Diltiziam myself and inserted this internally a few cms in and it was really helpful for me. Others say they found the creams just as effective when applying externally but my feeling is if you can insert a little INTO the anus, then possibly the better the effects - My own opinion of course.
I truly wish you all the very best in working through this - another tip, pre lube your anus with a big dollop of vaseline prior to a BM - that really seems to help & I use Coconut Oil after the clean-up to keep things soft and moisturised. There are a lot of good reports on using Manuka Honey in the same way too..........
I'm sorry to have to tell you it takes a while, but don't fail to keep up all the good stuff you are currently doing and please try not to strain in any way on the toilet!!!..........
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Mercury » 28 May 2013, 17:20

Kreaybutt wrote:I don't think it matters what brand of rice it is but you should add a bit of olive oil over your rice for taste and it helps lube things up. Also there's a high fiber oatmeal that really helps me it's 10 grams of soluble fiber) I have it every morning. Quaker oats maple and brown sugar oatmeal. Black beans and rice in a whole wheat tortilla, yummy! Salads are t too great for you, I've learned on here and from experience that raw leafy veggies/salads don't digest well

Thanks for the tips!
About the oatmeal, I honestly can't down Quaker as much as I would want to, I just find it seriously nasty :( I have completely changed my menu lately but I still try to at least eat stuff that doesn't depress me as much as the pain :/ A good example is bread, I'm a white bread fanatic but lately I changed almost entirely to whole wheat and even that is limited to about 2 slices a day, I don't enjoy it but I don't hate it either...
Good to know about raw and leafy veggies, I thought those were the best thing I can have but I guess I was wrong...
Ever the Optimist wrote:Hi Mercury,
Sorry to read this having been there too.
Unfortunately, the bottom line with a fissure is that it takes a LONG time to heal completely. This was my biggest lesson. The pattern for most fissure sufferers seems to be at least two-three months of that acute pain you describe, after then for some of us, creams & Botox have kicked in, which makes everything a bit more manageable and painless but not entirely by far. My fissure became chronic and healed after 1 yr and 5 months! but I did reach about a 3 month stage where things compared to the very beginning, were much better....LIS will very possibly speed up the healing process but even then it doesn't heal the fissure itself - it just allows quicker healing to take place.
I fully appreciate the having to work issue, as I've always worked full-time myself. When the fissure was at its worst, I used a soft pillow in the car, took lots of painkillers and just forced myself through it with constant thoughts of "This isn't always going to be like this" and now it's not.......
It takes a LOT of patience, trialing, strength and positivity to get through this but you will get there in the end......There are no short cuts I discovered but there is a lot you can try out to make life easier in the meantime.
A hot bath helped every morning before I went to work, a painkiller with breakfast, a soft cushion at work and lots of distracting techniques too.
There are lots of opinions on how best to use the Recto - Some are unable to apply internally because of the pain it causes but other use syringes to help with this issue. I used Diltiziam myself and inserted this internally a few cms in and it was really helpful for me. Others say they found the creams just as effective when applying externally but my feeling is if you can insert a little INTO the anus, then possibly the better the effects - My own opinion of course.
I truly wish you all the very best in working through this - another tip, pre lube your anus with a big dollop of vaseline prior to a BM - that really seems to help & I use Coconut Oil after the clean-up to keep things soft and moisturised. There are a lot of good reports on using Manuka Honey in the same way too..........
I'm sorry to have to tell you it takes a while, but don't fail to keep up all the good stuff you are currently doing and please try not to strain in any way on the toilet!!!..........

Well EtO, you certainly gave me lots to think about... I know it will take a while even with LIS but with my wedding coming up I just don't know if I can take my sweet time nurturing this affliction and I'm guessing LIS will probably ensure my health by wedding time, that's the only reason I'm considering doing it, it doesn't exactly sound like a lot of fun... (except maybe Davo's LIS Image) I also have my job to think about and unless I have a BM like I had today (really soft, no plug at all, barely any pain after and perfect 2 hours later) there's no amount of painpills and cushions that'll allow me to do my job, it involves a lot of sitting on my chair and thinking/reading/whatever and I just can't concentrate on anything while I'm in such pain...
As for Recto, I do stick it a bit in there. Not too much as it can hurt me but usually it doesn't and I get it right in there. I just heard some folk sayig it wasn't necessary and wanted to find out so tnx for that.
Anyways thanks for all the help, this forum has so much info in it it's really the greatest source of info a man can ask for in this situation.
Mercury
Fibre Addict

Postby Port » 29 May 2013, 22:04

Mercury, maybe try something you like in the Oatmeal. I put smooth peanut butter in and stir it around. Sometimes fruit, like blueberries, bananas, apples or apple sauce. You could even sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top. I put some all bran in with mine before I cook it, it's good stuff and changes the texture a bit. Good luck with the wedding.
Port
Salt Bather

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 29 May 2013, 22:59

My 2-cents.  If you're suffering with the after-pain you likely need something to address sphincter muscle spasms.  That is usually the nifidepine or diltiazem ointment, put up inside a little bit, just an inch into your anus.  Just like for your rectal exams.  Lie on your left side, relax, breathe, and then put a little ointment up in and around.  I use a latex type glove just to keep it more sanitary and avoid fingernail irritation!  Hot baths, and yes buy a plastic sitz bath (the type we women have used after child-birth, a fitting analogy for passing poops with an AF!!).  They are a god-send.  I'm in love with mine!!!!  Fill with water as warm as you can stand it (I use epsom salts as well) and soak your hiney for a bit (5 - 10 minutes is good for me).  Use after every BM and at least twice a day.  I also find it comforting to use a heating pad (under my butt) just before sleeping.  This all stimulates blood flow which helps with healing.  Then learn how to avoid hard poop (Bristol scale 1or 2).  Glad you have discovered that too much insoluble fiber is a bad thing, that took me weeks to learn (someone on this site told me, not my doctors).  Best of luck!!!! :)
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby Mercury » 04 Jun 2013, 08:19

Update time:
MOVICOL!
This thing is a god send! I had some trouble locating it here like I said before but now that I have it it's an absolute heaven!
It turns my BM's consistency to tooth paste like and I don't even feel re-tears anymore every time I go to the bathroom! It's been 5 days that I'm using it and I hardly get any post BM pain anymore. During the BM the first stool to come out was always a painful experience since this whole ordeal started, now it's smooth as silk and just glides out pain free! The improvement is astounding and it seems to be better with each passing day. I even went to work today and didn't suffer at all!
I should note I'm still very extreme on my diet, eating as little as I possibly can and eating only fibre rich dishes like brown rice (usually with lentils which are fibre rich and I love em!), cooked veggies, Fiber One, salads, bucket loads of water... and that's pretty much it, I sometimes throw some chicken in there. Haven't tasted meat in over a month though :(
I also just got my sitz bath (the delivery guy literally just left) so I'm gonna start using that as well and I'm still using Rectogesic regularly.
Hopefully all of these combined will aid me in getting rid of this fissure as quickly as possible, but if all of this fails, it'll be LIS time. In any case I'm optimistic now that I see just what a difference Movicol made. I have a CRS appointment for consultation tomorrow that I was gonna cancel but I'm just gonna go ahead and go, even though it's 150$ just to say hi to the dude, I think it'll be worth it to get a real expert's opinion.
I also just won a Marlboro Challenge and the first part is a 3 day hotel vacation that is next weekend so I really hope I'm well enough by then to go and have some fun. If I win the whole thing I get 2 weeks in Italy so I really really wanna go!
Mercury
Fibre Addict

Postby Mercury » 10 Jun 2013, 02:58

Well here comes a bad update :( Even though I'm feeling much much better and all feels very much ok, I just saw a CRS and he says I need surgery...
He took one look and said I have a nice big fissure and recommended I get the surgery. He says it doesn't seem to be healing at all but how can that be when I'm feeling so much better??? my BMs are very smooth and easy, I have almost 0 post BM pain (I get a very little bit of pain, maybe 0.5 about 4-5 hours post BM for like 10 minutes) and now he says I must have the surgery :(
I'm very reluctant about this surgery and would very much rather not to have it but he was absolutely adamant that I need the surgery, even though it was perfectly clear he won't be the one to operate on me (the closest time he can has an opening is November 24th!!! hell no, I'm getting married in October and this MUST be fixed by then).
So what do you guys think? Should I go ahead and have the surgery or keep doing what I'm doing and hope for the best??
Mercury
Fibre Addict

Postby JHH » 10 Jun 2013, 03:55

Hmm, let's sum up the facts...
You only had this fissure since march.
You don't get spasms anymore, since you only feel slight pain.
If both statements are correct, I would wait, and give it time. Even with surgery, it needs time to heal. No pain is a good sign, and if you don't have spasms, bloodflow to the fIssure should be OK.
This is all just my opinion :)
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16