foods to avoid, foods to increase

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Re: foods to avoid, foods to increase

Postby Luka » 14 Mar 2013, 00:32

Is there a way to find out if you have gluten intolerance? I eat wheat-based products and don't have a problem with them, as far as I know. They are a good source of fiber for me, so I wouldn't want to discontinue them if I didn't have to. Plus, I'd probably lose even more weight. : ( Wouldn't you know if you had a gluten allergy? Like having major digestive problems? Or is it more subtle?
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby delasama » 14 Mar 2013, 06:48

Sometimes you won't know if you have a wheat allergy. Gluten is a protein from wheat. You could call a doctor and ask where to go to get tested. They just inject a tiny bit of wheat in skin on your back then they see how it reacts. You won't even feel it when they do it.
delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31

Postby delasama » 14 Mar 2013, 06:50

I didn't get tested, but I noticed a lot of things got better a month after going gluten free. Even my fissure got better
delasama
King Fissure

Postby delasama » 14 Mar 2013, 07:30

I noticed I ate even healthier after going gluten free. It basically just eat unprocessed foods that don't contain wheat or gluten. Oatmeal has gluten in it, so I switched to quinoa with apple sauce and cinnamon which is even healthier and has more nutrients and protein. I lost 25 pounds, but that's because I stopped eating red meats and beer.beer is full of gluten and yeast. Red meats are just bad for fissures because they make hard poops...
delasama
King Fissure

Postby delasama » 14 Mar 2013, 07:31

I was eating lots of wheat bread. Now I eat gluten free cinnamon raisin bread that is made with brown rice...it's got more fiber than wheat bread.
delasama
King Fissure

Postby Luka » 14 Mar 2013, 14:04

Thanks for the answers, delasama. I did hear there's a blood test for it, but it isn't very reliable. I also read somewhere about them taking an intestinal biopsy as the only accurate way of diagnosing it. No thanks!
I really don't think I have a wheat allergy, so I'll just continue with my diet. I think if I went gluten-free, I'd lose more weight and I don't want that to happen. Plus, my diet is limited enough and I really don't eat that much wheat-based food, anyway.
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby Ozark English » 21 Apr 2013, 15:58

easyflo wrote: I'm beginning to like brown rice but jasmine rice is my absolute favorite.

I know I'm coming to this a bit down the road, but I work at a health food coop, and I used to be the bulk buyer for our store. There's a company out of California called Lundberg that sells rice and rice products, and they actually offer a brown jasmine rice. If you can't find it at a store in your area, there are plenty of sites online that sell it, too. It's not quite as aromatic as the white, because it still has the bran, but you get that good jasmine-y flavor all the same. It's actually my favorite thing they sell.
As for the gluten intolerance thing, that's a tricky subject. It's hard to tell whether more people are being misdiagnosed, or whether we're just more aware of gluten intolerance, or maybe even if there's other environmental factors that play in to its growth. If you're worried about whether you are having problems with gluten, you can take it out of your diet for a few weeks and see how that treats you, then go from there. Another option that works for many people with milder intolerance (NOT ALLERGY; wheat allergy and gluten intolerance are different things), you can try sprouted wheat breads. Food For Life (the Ezekiel Bread people) and Alvarado St. Bakery are two companies I know of that sprout their wheat before they use it for baking. Gluten is a protein that stores energy for the wheatberry to grow into a seedling, so it can get started before it's photosynthesizing its food. The idea, and I don't know how scientifically sound this is, is that once the wheat gets sprouting, that gluten is converted to more easily-digested matter. I know many people that have had to eliminate wheat (and rye, and barley, and sometimes even oats) entirely from their diet, but I've also known folks that do well with sprouted grains. Plus, they're usually a decent source of fiber, and Food For Life even makes other products (cereal, pasta, etc.).
Hope this helps somebody down the road. Cheers!
Ozark English
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby saintkilledher » 08 Jun 2013, 08:10

dew to how rice is processed its hard for the body to brake down and it hinders nutrition absorbtion of other foods
you would have to soak the rice in salty water for 48 hours to disable the ani nutrient.
saintkilledher
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16