Scheduled for surgery tomorrow, 5-13-13

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Scheduled for surgery tomorrow, 5-13-13

Postby marg6043 » 22 May 2013, 18:35

BootyMcOuchersons, how are doing, is everything healing ok, I hope that this lapse on the post is because you are on vacation and relaxing.
Let us know how you are doing when you have the chance. Image
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby BootyMcOuchersons » 09 Jun 2013, 20:01

Sorry I stopped posting, but I had a low period and ...well, I guess I didn't want to post that it was rough.
So, going back to my last post. What I thought was a scab wasn't. I called my CRS nurse and told her about the "scab" and she said she'd never heard of a fissure or the incision developing a scab, and she wanted to call in an antibiotic called Flagyl. I asked to be seen before I started on a strong antibiotic because they usually cause me to have diarrhea. So, on day 4 my boyfriend took me to my CRS office and the nurse checked it out. She said, "Oh, you have sutures! I didn't know." What!? She appologized for not having read my post-surgery report and went to get it. When she came back, she told me that my fissure was very large, and thus my incision was also larger than most, and required sutures. So what I was feeling that was hard, which I assumed was a scab, was those sutures. Lucky me!
For the first two weeks, my life consisted of laying on the couch on pain meds, in between baths. I had 2 bm's per day, all of which were painless. The only incident I has was on day 8. My stool has become more solid, but still soft, but it was enough to reopen my fissure and incision. I discovered this by squatting over my make-up mirror which is magnified, so I could really see what was going on down there. Both the fissure and incision were bleeding a little. I was super upset. But not in pain.
I used that method of squatting over my make-up mirror to further clean myself after my baths. I would wet q-tips and very gingerly dab away any fecal matter I could see.
I weened myself off my pain medication after about 10 days, but would take one here and there if I started hurting, which was no more than once per day.
I tried to go back to work at 2-weeks post-surgery. I'm an aesthetician and work in a medical office, and am on my feet all day. I realized half way into my first day that full days were too much, because I started hurting. The standing and walking would cause throbbing, and I'd need to lay down. Plus, I my energy level was low. I ended up working three half-days that week. It really was all I could do.
At the end of week three, that Saturday, I turned a corner. That was the first day my inflammation went way down and my anus looked almost normal, with just a little puffiness at the incision and fissure. Where the fissure was, where it had been cauterized, it left a weird fang-like piece of tissue that hung down. It has since receded and is looking almost normal, although still there.
I went back to work full time this past week (week 4), and felt pretty good. My energy levels were almost back to normal, but I still felt a little more tired and slower and my usual self.
My post-surgery checkup was supposed to be last Monday, which would have been at the 4-week mark, but my CRS was stuck in a surgery, so I'm scheduled to go back tomorrow at the 5-week mark. I expect he'll tell me I'm doing well. :)
Hope all of you are hanging in there, and also doing well.
BootyMcOuchersons
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Cueball3335 » 12 Jun 2013, 00:17

Hi booty, I too had surgery on may 13 th and have had a similar experience. Iam scheduled to see my CRS tomorrow and am going to ask about that weird skin piece thing too. I put Neosporin on it to speed healing. its like a weird movable skin tag thing that is red flesh colored. Mine bleeds when I mess with too much. I also have had a bit of discharge like pus or something especially when I walk around too much. I hope it's not an abcess or fistula or something. Let me know what your doc says. I also have been experiencing weird leg and buttocks soreness ever since a week after the surgery. Hope all is well with you thanks bye.
Cueball3335
Fibre Addict

Postby BootyMcOuchersons » 13 Jun 2013, 09:22

Hey Cueball.... My doc said I was doing better than he expected.  I asked about the skin that was "hanging down" and he said it may just end up being there.  He said if it really becomes a problem for some reason (cleanliness, irritation, etc) that he could remove it.  I think I can live with it!!!  :)
Mine would also bleed if I messed with it, because that's where the fissure is re-sealing itself.  I've been leaving it alone, and now it's doing much better.  I also had a discharge for a while, which was yellowish-clear, but it has gone away now.  It did have an odd smell, not bad..... it just smelled "sick", if that makes sense.  I had a sick dog once who had the same smell.  I'm glad that it has resolved.
I also had pain that radiated into my butt cheeks, thighs, and vagina.  That has now also subsided.
Actually, I'm feeling great.  I've not had a single bm since the surgery that has caused me any pain. Image
My doc did tell me that this is a life-long post treatment plan.  I will ALWAYS need to keep myself from getting constipated and having hard stools.  That scares me, because I've never stuck to anything with any real diligence, and I will probably slack at some point in the future when all of this is a distant memory.  Maybe not....I never want to go through this again.
Hope your appt went well Cueball.
Let me know what your doc said.
BootyMcOuchersons
Fibre Addict

Postby Cueball3335 » 07 Jul 2013, 11:47

The doc said I had hypertrophied granulation. He put silver nitrate on it and it seems to have closed. This was June 12th and I still have pain and pressure from what seems to be at the incision site even though it appears closed at least from what I can tell.
Cueball3335
Fibre Addict