Botox fail

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Botox fail

Postby dangading » 11 Jun 2013, 10:40

Hi,
I've had a chronic fissure since October 2012. Diltiazem and Nitro help the pain a little but haven't healed it. I had botox done because I thought it was less risky than LIS surgery. First of all, I was in "twilight" anesthesia and I still felt the injections. I can remember groaning too. I'm 2 months into botox and the fissure is worse. I went to a CR surgeon and he said that he would never recommend botox to anyone. Says it's more risky that LIS and that it hardly ever works. He said that the success rate on LIS is good but he won't do LIS surgery on me until the botox wears off. If it wears off at all! I wish my GI doc would've given me more info. From the get go he just didn't seem to give a poop. Anyway, I like my surgeon better. At least he seems to want what's best for me. I'll keep you all posted.
-Dangading
dangading
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Botox fail

Postby owmybum » 11 Jun 2013, 11:18

I'm so sorry to hear that Botox has failed for you.
I know from experience that it is massively important to have a surgeon you can trust and feel totally confident with.. So at least you have found one now you are happy with.
Do keep us all posted
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby jdhouseholder » 11 Jun 2013, 19:59

Sorry your Botox didn't work! I have had my fissure for about a year and a half. Had LIS a year ago and that did heal it but I retore. So then I had Botox about a month ago and it did not work. I am contemplating a second LIS. I am just tired of the pain and having a poor quality of life. I know we all are!! Wishes on healing for you! I will never have Botox again either!!
jdhouseholder
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby suzyljank » 11 Jun 2013, 21:14

Hi, botox is good for acute fissures but not really great for chronic ones. My CRS won't do them either. When I first started out I had LIS. It's not that bad of a surgery. I never took anything but ibuprofen for the pain. I wasn't one of the lucky ones. I went back hoping to get a 2nd LIS but my problem turned out to be anal stenosis. I had double flap surgery a few weeks ago. If you like your CRS discuss all of your options but don't give up, chronic fissures are tricky to heal. Sometimes a fissurectomy is performed with LIS, this actually removes the scar tissue in the fissure and it's then stitched. With fresh tissue you have a good chance of healing. I hope you heal soon, all the best Suzy.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Bing84 » 12 Jun 2013, 13:43

Is LIS the sphincterotomy procedure?  I have had two rounds of botox which hasn't helped.  I am hoping for fissure removal or taking tissue from another part of my body to cover the fissure. Does anyone know if these options are effective?
Bing84

Topics: 1

Postby aimonaali » 13 Jun 2013, 06:54

Is it true that botox almost never works and it's riskier than LIS..? I've had LIS but been dealing with a little retear for a couple of months. Thinking maybe botox could be the next option but it's hard to find good data about the risks and benefits.
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15