Looking for advice regarding Diltiazem related itch?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Looking for advice regarding Diltiazem related itch?

Postby sk22 » 09 Jun 2013, 21:22

So I've been on diltiazem ointment since April 24th. I didn't notice much change with it, but my fissure has been in a 'bearable but extremely uncomfortable/annoying' phase for the past few months. I even went on vacation with it -- and no sitz baths -- and was surprisingly fine! I had literally just told my mom that I thought the cream was working for me, and about two days later, bam -- itch.
It didn't cause itching until I'd used it for a month. Now, a few seconds after I put it on, the itch comes and is unbearable! I know it sounds stupid to be complaining about an itch, but it's unbearable. This only lasts about 45 minutes though, and then dissapates. But I had been using the ointment like 3 times a day, and now I only use it once a day or not at all.
Is the itch worth continuing to use diltiazem, especially because I did think it was helping me? Or does the itch signify something like my body is no longer responding to the cream? If it continues to help me, I'd keep taking it. But if I find out that the itch signifies that my body has stopped responding to it, there's no point.
Anyone had this problem? I'm seeing my gp in a few weeks for some random muscle/joint/pain issues that have cropped up in the last 3 weeks out of nowhere, so I'll talk to him about this.
sk22
Fibre Addict

Topics: 9

Re: Looking for advice regarding Diltiazem related itch?

Postby marg6043 » 10 Jun 2013, 07:26

sk22 you are not alone, I also developed itching after using the cream for a few months, because I really wanted the fissure to heal I took the itching until the area just blistered.
While the cream did help it didn't cure my fissure, my doctor gave me cortisone cream for the itching, is now 12 month since my flare up and fissure problems and after the problems with the cream I decided to use plain vaseline before BMs, to lubricate I use Carlson suppositories one in the morning and one in the afternoon before bed to ease things in the morning.
Now that my fissure is healing, (still there) but manageable, I just dab baby desitin after BMs.
Talk to your doctor about the itching problem and see what he will say, mine just gave me cortisone that i only used until the itch went away.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby owmybum » 10 Jun 2013, 12:07

I had to stop using it too, after I developed an intense sore itch literally seconds after applying it. I figured it wasn't worth making myself even more uncomfortable as I wasn't completely healing with it anyway.
Some people use nifedipine if they don't get on with diltiazem.
Hth
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Bing84 » 12 Jun 2013, 14:02

I've not had much luck with Diltiazem cream. It really loosened all muscle tension and made me race to the loo almost having an accident right in the middle of the office! Dr has tried to persuade me to continue using it at a lower amount - will i be OK?
Bing84

Topics: 1

Postby Luka » 12 Jun 2013, 16:21

I think you are fine to continue using Diltiazem as long as it doesn't cause a bad reaction. Some people on here have gotten horrible itching with it and developed a rash, as well, so they had to stop using it. I get a little burning when applying it sometimes, but it goes away within a few minutes to a half an hour.
I've been using Diltiazem twice a day since January and it seems to have helped me. I'm slowly weaning myself off it, though, since I know I've been on it long enough and I'm at the point where I think I'm healed enough to see how I do without it. Some people use it for a year or more, though, and don't have any issues. If I developed a rash or major itch to it, though, I would obviously stop using it.
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby Vin » 17 Jun 2013, 11:33

My itching issue was ultimately solved by a dermatologist who prescribed a Cortico steroid creme.  I was in the same boat with unbearable itching and burning this cream and continued use of Miralax has me in a good place.  My suggestion is see a good dermo in your area made all the difference for me.
Vin
Salt Bather

Topics: 6