Need Tips for Dealing with Nitro/Rectiv Itching

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Need Tips for Dealing with Nitro/Rectiv Itching

Postby crimeofpassion » 20 Jun 2013, 08:30

Does anyone have tips on how to ease some of the itching caused by using Nitroglycerin/Rectiv? I’ve been using Rectiv for about 9 days now, and even though I’m feeling much better already, I’ve started getting some itching that can be very uncomfortable at times. I’m contemplating using a slightly smaller dose of Rectiv... The box calls for 1 inch of cream (and has a little measuring line on the box to help you), but I’ve seen other people here talking about how they use a “pea size” or “dime size” amount. Obviously one can’t just stop using the Nitro/Rectiv altogether, and I’m not sure how to combat this side effect while continuing use of the cream. I do take 2 baths with Epsom Salt every day, and I’ve been adding oatmeal to my evening bath, since that combined with Calmoseptine is usually how I deal with itching that arises for one reason or another. But I’m wondering if anyone here has better suggestions. I'd choose itching over pain any day of the week, but itching is no walk in the park either.
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Re: Need Tips for Dealing with Nitro/Rectiv Itching

Postby Savaici » 20 Jun 2013, 08:36

I would go with the pea size that most use, and try to just get it on the fissure, though I know that can be pretty difficult. Also, I saw someone mention at some time that they used a zinc ointment in the areas that they did not want the nitro to reach. I found that Diltiazam and Nifedepine both itched after a while.
First I would try a small dosage.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby crimeofpassion » 20 Jun 2013, 08:47

Does it matter if the cream gets directly on the fissure, since it’s just meant to relax the muscle?
I'll definitely try cutting my dosage in half, at least. But I'll still apply it 2x per day, of course.
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Postby notmuchfunanymore » 25 Jun 2013, 14:13

It could be an allergic reaction. I think very few people have an allergic reaction, but I was allergic to Diltiazem and had intense, almost constant, itching, which can happen with Nitro too.
I say a Hail Mary when I poo.
notmuchfunanymore
Salt Bather

Topics: 17