What type of Magnesium.......do you use?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

What type of Magnesium.......do you use?

Postby Please go-away! » 03 Jul 2013, 19:06

High every one I do hope every one is chilled out tonight , not in too much pain.:roll:  My question is, "I have looked into the magnesium vitamin but a little confused". How much mg to start day and night plus is it in a Citrate, Glycinate or Oxide formulation (base) and what is the difference?
What type of Magnesium vitamin is more effective? What is every one using out here, of course what works for some one may not work for another, plus are any of these bases recommended by there Doctors.Image ?
thank you every one for your help.I still have to soften my stools more, despite all my effarts (oops ..lol..)
efforts. My pain after a large and still easy b.m today as I said earlier, was fine, but later within an hour the pain started increasing to a 3 to a 5..finally subsided an hour ago, just able to get on the computer now.
When I went to the drugstore, there's just so many forms of Magnesium, I need to know what is the best one. I know I keep thanking every one from this site..but it has been a g-d send.Image 
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Topics: 15

Re: What type of Magnesium.......do you use?

Postby Kreaybutt » 03 Jul 2013, 20:13

My doctor told me to do magnesium oxide. He also told me to get 400 mg but I thought ehh ill get 500... Bad idea, it gave me diarreah. So 400 mg magnesium oxide it is!
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 30

Postby Please go-away! » 03 Jul 2013, 20:25

thanks KB..is it taken morning and night time as well.on a empty stomach or with a bite of some :) food.
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Postby Kreaybutt » 04 Jul 2013, 07:26

I take it at night right after dinner. DEFINITLY don't want to take it on an empty stomach
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 30

Postby Rachael 1984 » 04 Jul 2013, 07:28

I take 1 tablet after breakfast and one after eve meal. Apparently the body absorbs magnesium citrate the best.
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby Please go-away! » 04 Jul 2013, 20:00

The Pharmacist gave me the natural Swiss formula, magnesium Oxide,
from behind the counter, because the mg's is 420.   After I explained to her my problem, She immediately knew what to do.
Told me to split the pill in half at first, to get use to the amount, gradually increase and when to take it.
She was very helpful and considerate plus explained the side effects, so as to gradually increase the doze.
Thank you, I really appreciate everyone's advice, If the oxide doesn't work, I will try the citrate.
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Postby bgd » 05 Jul 2013, 05:00

I take plain Magnesium, as I couldn't find Milk Of Magnesia (Magnesium Hydroxide) on the local market. But now I found Magnesium Oxide online so I'm gonna order some.
My goal is to achieve Bristol 5-6 without being completely vegetarian. It would be nice to have some meet once in a while.
Can you tell us about the Mg Oxide side effects your pharmacist warned about? Wiki says it can only be used short term.
bgd
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby splinterboy1984 » 05 Jul 2013, 05:58

magnesium oxide 250mg before bed, helps alot.
splinterboy1984
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Please go-away! » 05 Jul 2013, 08:40

I don't trust the Wiki site, The Pharmacist was just concerned regarding the high dosage, She was very experienced and knew exactly what to tell me, She said,"especially women , like me at 51 and menopausal. The need for Magnesium with calcium and Vitamin D,should be  for life."
But... she stated that, the Mg's, because its amount is so high(that's why it was behind the Pharmacy counter) can be used safely in short consecutive periods. Use it for as long as your stool is to bulky or thick then decrease stop then go back if needed later,She felt that I'm just not absorbing magnesium properly.
It can cause some nausea, (take with some food)headaches and don't overdose because it can be fatal. (but of course I hope your not ..lol)
But please for you if your concerned , still check with your Doctor, if its safe and OK for you to take:)  and how many MG'S.
Well I took half of the 420MG Magnesium Oxide last night, After my Oatmeal with chopped/diced date, apple and prune breakfast my stool was smooth and loose, maybe to loose.
No pain or any tightness/spastic motions upon my first stool.
Now it could of been firmer, or more formed, but it was probably because I didn't(yesterday)Have any insoluble vegetables in the crisper, so I had very little insoluble, only soluble.

I went grocery shopping yesterday and picked up all my greens, kale, spinach, green apples, avocados and broccoli, I have other variety of veggies still in the fridge.
so time will tell.The time I got back from that shopping I was tired and still burning down there, but manageable, it was late so I went to bed and put the heating pad on (it has an auto shut off) and went to sleep.
Later I'm going to saute spinach with Kale, garlic and thinly slivered carrots, add at the end fresh basil from my garden, then make a dressing of pure virgin olive oil, apple cider vinegar, splash and a teaspoon of dejun mustard..yumm. add a protein, probably fish, Cant wait..Wait..that's a first..WOW, wanting to eat, when all that time we are afraid8)   to eat because of our BM's..
Take care today every one, I'm going for a walk, it's a little rainy in Toronto. Ontario, will bring my umbrella, ella ella..Image Your mood just lifts when your not in pain, I'm sure we all feel the same.
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Postby Please go-away! » 05 Jul 2013, 15:54

Check this out this easy reading,
Severe magnesium deficiency can result in low levels of calcium in the blood (hypocalcemia). Magnesium deficiency is also associated with low levels of potassium in the blood (hypokalemia) Which is what my doctor told me that my potassium levels are very low.
Comparing  the amount of elemental magnesium in different types of magnesium supplements. The amount of elemental magnesium in a compound and its bioavailability influence the effectiveness of the magnesium supplement. Bioavailability refers to the amount of magnesium in food, medications, and supplements that is absorbed in the intestines and ultimately available for biological activity in your cells and tissues. Enteric coating (the outer layer of a tablet or capsule that allows it to pass through the stomach and be dissolved in the small intestine) of a magnesium compound can decrease bioavailability.
This is a list of the % of
Magnesium in forms that are better absorbed..see below:

The Pharmacist at this drugstore that I now go to, is a vast of information, shes so helpful. just as helpful and knowledgeable, some times more then Doctors, Believe me when you find a great Pharmacist stick with them.She told me to go online as well as she printed up some info sheets for me..she was so nice,regardless if she was swamped with scripts.
% of Elemental Magnesium
Magnesium Oxide...........60%
Magnesium Hydroxide.....42%
Magnesium Carbonate.....29%
Magnesium Citrate..........16%

Signs of excess magnesium can be similar to magnesium deficiency and include changes in mental status, nausea, diarrhea, appetite loss, muscle weakness, difficulty breathing, extremely low blood pressure, and irregular heartbeat, so just be careful and check in with your Doctor first.
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure