Anal fissure in foreign lands

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Anal fissure in foreign lands

Postby imadeamistake » 09 Jul 2013, 07:50

Hello, everyone. I am new to the forum, although I found it awhile ago. Unlike most people here, I got a fissure by doing something foolish. I don't think I need to go into too many details, but I stuck something inside there and cut myself. This actually happened almost one year ago.
I went into a walk in clinic the next day. I was prescribed some cream. Took it for a month. At the end of the month, I had a bm with blood which means it hadn't healed. This was the first bloody bm since my first one after the incident. The second time I told the doctor what happened. The first time I didn't. I was too embarrassed. Anyways, he says he can't do anything more thorough because he didn't have any equipment for that. So I had to go to my GP.
I went to my GP. He never really asks how I got it. I clammed up. I didn't tell him what really happened, even though I should have. Anyways, he looks in there with a scope thing. He says there was no real fissure, just a few slight tears. He also said it should have hurt when he stuck the instrument in there. Is this true from other peoples experiences? It was an anoscope or proctoscope. Anyways, I had not been experiencing any major pains during the bathroom after the first month of the incident. Even then the bms were not too painful. I would experience some slight ripping sensations that eventually got less and less as time went on. At the time of this 2nd appointment with my GP, I was set to leave the country for one year and that was three months away. I never had a bloody bm again, but still felt some sensations. I never went back. I figured it just needed time to heal. My understanding still is that they take some time. I wish I did, but again, I assumed it would heal.
Tonight was the first time in about 10 and a half months since I had blood after wiping. It was very minimal and could have been from a dry anus which I have been experiencing the past couple months. Also, when I wiped it was green. I'm not sure exactly what is going on there. Ultimately, for the past 8 months or so I have only felt slight discomfort when going to the bathroom. There has been no blood up until now. And no discomfort afterwards for hours which is common with fissures. Sometimes I could feel something down there, especially the itchiness as it has been getting more moist and warming up.
My only problem now is seeking medical treatment. Its not really a problem per say except I don't live in an English speaking country. Not sure how to explain my predicament. I kind of want to get to the bottom of this. I don't know if there is still a fissure there or something else. I'm not supposed to go home until six months. Luckily, I am in no real pain even when I go to the bathroom. When I am about my normal day, I can't feel anything down there. My main worry is getting an infection or something serious and getting into more complications. But I feel like that should have happened by now.
imadeamistake

Topics: 1

Re: Anal fissure in foreign lands

Postby Guest » 09 Jul 2013, 08:47

Its ok imadeamistake:
Your not the first person to come in here because of an "untimely act" fissure.
But all we or you are concerned about now is how to get rid of this right.
What struck me is you mentioned green stools and I immediately thought I hope its not bile related. A quick check seems to suggest its not to uncommon. Something as simple as eating foods that are green can cause it.  Better mention that to your Dr in case its serious. But there are many things that can cause green stools and it includes...
Laxative use
Antibiotic use
Medication side effects
Food poisoning
Celiac disease
Ulcerative colitis
Crohn's disease
Malabsorption
Irritable bowel syndrome
Bacterial overgrowth
Infectious diarrhea - especially salmonella and giardia
Traveler's diarrhea
Cancer
I will direct you to the source here:
http://altmedicine.about.com/od/gettingdiagnosed/a/green_stools.htm
&
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stool-color/AN00772
So in all, green stool may be nothing serious for you, but get it checked just the same.
imadeamistake, the problem for you now seems to be the recurrent blood in stools, which may simply be due to re-tearing of the healing fissure. Its good to know your not experiencing too much discomfort though.
Try and put together several days if not weeks of keeping stools nice and soft to give that thing a chance to heal. Try the vaseline lube pre bm to also help heal and prevent re-tears. Also you want to avoid wiping with TPaper after bm, instead use moistened wipes and pat and dab. Or you can even moisten the TP before using.
HTH GL

Postby imadeamistake » 09 Jul 2013, 09:31

buttastic wrote:Its ok imadeamistake:
Your not the first person to come in here because of an "untimely act" fissure.
But all we or you are concerned about now is how to get rid of this right.
What struck me is you mentioned green stools and I immediately thought I hope its not bile related. A quick check seems to suggest its not to uncommon. Something as simple as eating foods that are green can cause it.  Better mention that to your Dr in case its serious. But there are many things that can cause green stools and it includes...
Laxative use
Antibiotic use
Medication side effects
Food poisoning
Celiac disease
Ulcerative colitis
Crohn's disease
Malabsorption
Irritable bowel syndrome
Bacterial overgrowth
Infectious diarrhea - especially salmonella and giardia
Traveler's diarrhea
Cancer
I will direct you to the source here:
So in all, green stool may be nothing serious for you, but get it checked just the same.
imadeamistake, the problem for you now seems to be the recurrent blood in stools, which may simply be due to re-tearing of the healing fissure. Its good to know your not experiencing too much discomfort though.
Try and put together several days if not weeks of keeping stools nice and soft to give that thing a chance to heal. Try the vaseline lube pre bm to also help heal and prevent re-tears. Also you want to avoid wiping with TPaper after bm, instead use moistened wipes and pat and dab. Or you can even moisten the TP before using.
HTH GL

Thanks for the info. I was kind of disturbed by the green to. It was a kind of green I had not seen before like pistachio color. Not really any pain during the bm either as usual. Last night I had some spicy thai food at a thai restaraunt. This green encounter was the first bm since that evening. I'm kind of anxious for tomorrow. I usually go once a day. Hopefully, it returns to normal. The blood was a very small amount. Could be from a fissure, but it was no more than having diahrea would cause thankfully. Other than that I feel ok otherwise. I have not been taking any medicines. Finding moist wipes might be difficult for me, but I could try to moisten the tp or just dab. I could somehow try making sure I use the bathroom before going to work. I can't really exist the stalls with pants around my ankles and head for the sink......:) All in all this was the third time, i had blood on the toilet paper post bm. This last time being the most mild. Also, I forgot to mention that when I was at my GP, he took a stool sample and there was no blood in there. I don't know if that helps clarify anything in my story at all, unless my insides have degenerated more so since then.
I have had bad diahrea more than a few times during my stay, but never had any blood from that. However, I should feel lucky. I have been fairly careless with my diet. I have been drinking more water because its getting hotter. But I should drink a little more probably stay away from spice foods. My stomach did feel weird after the dinner. I wonder if it did something to my stomach. Iv'e never had problems with spicy foods before. But I guess I should avoid them for safe caution.
imadeamistake

Postby Please go-away! » 09 Jul 2013, 10:11

Yes do get it checked out, Buttastic is right, I did a green juice for two days , consisting of green apple ,kale , cucumber, and other greens, and the next day had green poop, forgot all about it..so you never know.I use non-alcohol and fragrant free baby wipes, in fact you will find we all, even after we have healed still baby our butt's, probably for life. Image 
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Topics: 15

Postby Guest » 09 Jul 2013, 10:59

Yup imadeamistake:
Spicy food is an anal fissure delicacy for the most part. And of course this is not the time you want to be careless with your diet as you say you've been. Patting dry with TP may be fine; done it that way myself, but you may want to stay away from those fancy scented TP's.
As Please go-away! suggest we now have to pamper our butts more than ever.
GL

Postby ttt31 » 11 Jul 2013, 04:24

Hi imademistake, I definitely feel for you moving to a new country with AFs- I just did that myself. But it seems for me it's helped somewhat as the pain has reduced incredibly. but this could also be due to my new vegan diet and manuka honey.
So while in a new country, I generally tend to carry around a small pot of vaseline everywhere I go in case I need to lube up before a sudden BM. I also carry around a bottle of water- not just to drink, but also so that I can use it to wet the toilet paper before wiping. I usually leave the cap on slightly and squeeze the bottle slowly so the water just drips out. That way, you don't make a mess on the floor, and the toilet paper doesn't get too wet and destroyed.
In terms of getting professional medical advice, I'm not too sure- maybe you can go with a close friend who can translate for you- someone you're close to?
Good luck!
ttt31
Fibre Addict

Postby imadeamistake » 11 Jul 2013, 08:17

I have an update to my situation. I went to the hospital. They actually had an English section for foreigners. The lady went with me to the doctor to help translate. The doctors english was rough but serviceable. Anyways, I ended up getting a siegmoidoscopy. I mentioned the fissure and the green stool that looked really scary.
Anyways, there were 2 or three small fissure near the the anal opening. I finally saw them in for myself. They looked like small red bumps. Not very scary looking. The green stool may just be an anomoly. If doesn't clear up I should go back, the doctor was not too clear about how much is two much. I tried getting an answer, but he left it up to my own discrection. He offered to write me a prescription for the fissures, but he said I didn't really any ointment. It was my choice. So I declined. They are small and not very painful.
The siegmoidoscopy was pretty uncomfortable. I never had one before. My stomach felt bloated afterwards. He never bothered to mention any side effects so I was pretty freaked out when I got home and started searching. The stomach started to feel more bloated on the bus ride home. The bloatedness has gone away, but I kinda felt a little off the whole day. It seemed to get a little better as the day went on. I'm worried because apparently fevers, weakness and dizziness are rare side effects. But I did feel a little weak throughout the day. I'm not sure if my fears are making it worse, after having a giant scope shoved up many inches. I feel worried, but not bad enough to go back. Has anyone had a siegmoid before?
imadeamistake

Postby Please go-away! » 11 Jul 2013, 11:21

No sorry, but keep on, because some one I'm sure has or knows more about this procedure, If it's similar to a colonoscopy, they bloat you up, so you get gas after , I felt after a little weak, but it went away, since I had anaesthetic, I stuck with liquids for a few days and the gas went down.
Keep a watch on the chills and fever, OK take care.
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Topics: 15

Postby Savaici » 11 Jul 2013, 17:57

Yes, I have had a sigmoidoscopy, and felt fine the next day, though I had conscious sedation with mine. I am sure that the sensations you are experiencing are quite normal and it is a very simple procedure. If you don't feel right in in couple of days, contact the hospital.
Sav
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Ever the Optimist » 12 Jul 2013, 07:53

Just to add on the green stools issue - Excessive spinach does that to my stools!!! so it could well be what you ate :) 
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again