My fistulotomy progress

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

My fistulotomy progress

Postby kris73 » 03 Apr 2013, 11:05

Hi All,
Last two days I am having little more pain than usual. I see fecal matter leaking thru the incision and I am concerned about that. I have yellow discharge and have to change gauges every 3 or 4 hours. I see light swelling but pain is manageable. I also have constant stomach cramping and want to goto toilet all the time. Are these normal symptoms of recovery or should I be worried? Thank you
kris73
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: My fistulotomy progress

Postby richibeno » 03 Apr 2013, 13:19

Hey
I had a fistulotomy in Dec still get some achy pain and a pinch here and there get some drainage after a bm'
As long as the drainage does not smell to bad it should be fine
If pain goes up and loads of smelly puss or blood see a doc'
Keep diet soft loads of water take a stool soft er
I use warm water and wet wipes to clean after a bm'and then use a shower head to finish off
Keep it dry as poss '
I get a little cramping but think it may be stool softners
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby kris73 » 04 Apr 2013, 11:21

well things were going downhill past 4 days pain wise. I did setup a appointment to see my CRS tomorrow. I do not notice lot of swelling but it is very very sore and pain went up compared to first 3 days of post surgery. Hopefully I dont have to hear any bad news from CRS
kris73
Fibre Addict

Postby Ever the Optimist » 04 Apr 2013, 15:41

Kris,
Good luck with the check-up and sorry to hear that the pain is going up rather than down. Hopefully your CRS will come up with some solutions to the issue and help put your mind at rest. The leakage (even the fecal drainage) sounds normal at 9 days post-op as does swelling/ pain but the stomach cramps sound like something to get checked out, although it could be all related to the surgery, the stress and perhaps any dietary changes you may have made during the process? Fingers crossed it's all normal and you have nothing more to worry about. Keep us updated too.
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby kris73 » 05 Apr 2013, 16:17

Thanks Rich and ETO for your soothing words. Just got back from CRS. he said healing is good but also said he could do nothing to help my bad symptoms(Leakage and cramps). He said I may be getting cramps due to swelling inside anus due to surgery. I am still trying to get to optimal stool softness. so far i am having soft to loose stools and it is not helping with leakage. I am only taking stool softner twice a day and stopped taking Miralax. Let me see if it works. it still feels like UPHILL for me. I will keep you posted.
kris73
Fibre Addict

Postby BlackStallion » 30 Jun 2013, 10:14

well the stool softener is be blamed for the rumbling stomach and leaking of faecal matter I think. I had similar things going on and so I am now on a single nightly dose of lactulose. That I think is enough to keep the stools soft and not have the leakage and rumblings...I realize this is from a couple months old now.. I hope you all good now :)
BlackStallion
Fibre Addict

Postby kkmark » 19 Jul 2013, 19:34

Kris
Hope you are doing great. I had my surgery done this Wednesday. Hope you don't have anymore pain sorry to hear this. Please take care and keep us posted.
Kathy
kkmark
Salt Bather

Topics: 3