Nutraflax question

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Nutraflax question

Postby Now66 » 21 May 2013, 13:28

I was wondering about the value of Nutraflax, a brand of flax seed in capsules. I was told to take 4 per day some 10 years ago following my first colonoscopy. Supposedly this was to prevent diverticulitis.
The Nutraflax did not prevent the anal fissure, the stuff is expensive compared to generic Metamucil, and seems irrelevant with my 3 daily doses of generic Metamucil.
Maybe the Metamucil is also irrelevant but I've been taking it along with my single daily dose of Miralax. Since all works well, I hate to change this routine.
Now66
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Re: Nutraflax question

Postby Now66 » 23 Jul 2013, 13:54

So I quit the Nutraflax when I ran out about a week ago. Oooooooh, this is not good. Believe I'll try sprinkling ground flax seed meal in my breakfast cereal.
Now66
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Please go-away! » 23 Jul 2013, 17:35

Hi Now66,  When I had my Colonoscopy several months ago, my Gastro, Doctor noted that I have Diverticulitis and IBS along with a fissure,that's healing,
My Doctor recommended ground flax, so I grind it fresh every time I use it.
Lately I have been using a combination of ground chia seed/flax,
because there are certain nutrient's  in Chia seed's (black and white) That flax doesn't have and visa verse.
Sorry I forgot what the minerals/nutrients where, You could probably google it up.
I add it to my oatmeal every morning. How does the Nutraflax work for you? Do you like it over the ground flax?:)
P.s I like the funny picture.....did you draw it. nice, I feel your pain, just by looking at that.:roll: 
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Postby Now66 » 23 Jul 2013, 20:46

Please go-away: I don't know yet. I just picked up the ground flax today. Apparently the 4 daily Nutraflax capsules were doing more than I thought.  I just don't like that Nutraflax is expensive and only available at a pharmacy I seldom visit.
Having read a good bit on the forum, I'm wondering if the Metamucil is all that helpful. I believe I'll experiment more with this ground flax seed meal - which is also cheap.
Now66
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby kkmark » 25 Jul 2013, 10:48

Hey now66
I heard flax seeds r good but never heard abt nutraflax. I have to add flax seeds to my breakfast right now Metamucil, miralax and colace r helping me
Kathy
kkmark
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Please go-away! » 25 Jul 2013, 20:16

Metamucil gives me terrible gas, but it does work for a lot of people here, I like my magnesium, twice a week at nite.
That reminds me, I'm still using the magnesium vit/pills, have to call my nutritionist at my health store to see if the liquid magnesium came in (easier on the colon for IBS sufferers.
It's a relief when we all eventually find what works for us.
Take care all. Remember to make your poops as smooth as silk.Image(minus the fly's) my cat ate a fly today, great protein..lol
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Postby Now66 » 26 Jul 2013, 12:42

I've used ground flax seed meal - tablespoon full on my morning cereal - the last few days. I do believe this is working better, maybe not smooth as silk yet, but better. At least I like the flax seed - tastes great and is much cheaper than Nutraflax pills.
I do wonder some about Metamucil. That stuff wants to stick to the glass when mixed with water. I just wonder if it bulks up too much in the gut.
Now66
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Please go-away! » 26 Jul 2013, 19:54

I found that it took a few weeks for the flax seed to get things started/going.
Now it's like a routeen, a teaspoon of ground flax in my oatmeal every morning for over a month.
You could try Metamucil, (not the sugar free) start gradually.
Try this little trick (ground flax seed also jells up),
Take a small orange juice cup add a teaspoon of ground flax,fill half with cool water and let sit on counter or in fridge.
It will jell the next day, real cool,because it's soluble and insoluble.
The guy at the health store that I purchased it at, told me not to over grind it.
Have a great evening and a nity nite.
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Postby Now66 » 30 Jul 2013, 08:53

The ground flax seed meal (about $3.50 U.S. from Walmart), one level tablespoonful each day, is definitely working. Silky smooth poop this morning.
I've been using Metamucil, 3 times daily, since last October. I'm tempted to cut back on the Metamucil to see if that makes any difference. Still, messing with what works can be painful, as I've discovered.
Now66
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Please go-away! » 30 Jul 2013, 09:21

yay..Now66.."Silky smooth poop this morning."
Way to go..smooth as silk I say, you the man..lol.
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure