Help Please: Self Dilation Questions, Where to buy, etc.

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Help Please: Self Dilation Questions, Where to buy, etc.

Postby Random35324 » 31 Jul 2013, 13:11

Hello,
I'm new to these forums (just created an account today :)).  While on a stressed/depressed journey for answers to my health problems, I discovered these forums; Specifically, this thread: http://anal-fissure.org/t4261-self-dilation.  I knew something was wrong with me, so I searched, revised my search terms a few times, until I discovered the condition called "Anal Stenosis."
First let me paint a picture of my adventure with health problems, past & present:
Senior year High School - Had slight stomach issues (the start of IBS).  Also always had external hemorrhoids, as long as I could remember, though they didn't seem to bother me much.
First, second, third semester College - IBS worsened, hemorrhoids worsened.  Was bleeding an alarming amount.  Worried I would bleed through my clothes (this caused me a lot of anxiety).  Also went to the bathroom about 8 times on average a day.  My grades were slipping.  Took a medical withdraw third semester.
Two Years Later - After the medical withdraw I took two years off to try to resolve my problems via diet.  Showed some promise, so I re-enrolled in college again.  This was a hasty decision that ended up being a mistake (I wanted so badly to acquire a college degree, I was blinded). I ended up withdrawling again.
About One Year Later - Was mainly depressed with my life (was not in a good place).  Continued to sink deeper into the abyss that was my life.  It was then that I finally did what I should of did from the start, which was see a Doctor.
Doctors Diagnosis - I had 4th degree external hemorrhoids, internal hemorrhoids, as well as a prolapsed rectum.
Surgeries - This lead to me having 3 surgeries at various times over the course of about 1.5 years.  Hemorrhoidectomy was one of them, which was considered less serious than the other two.
Two and a Half Years (present) after surgeries - I have had plenty of time to recover.  Everything is fine, or well not everything.  Only what the surgeries set out to fix.  My IBS seems worse (I have to really be strict with what I eat), and I have become dependent on the use of water enemas just to go to the bathroom (due to anus being too tight, which I found out today can result from having a hemorrhoidectomy).  My last visit to my doctor was about a year and a half ago.  I explained to him my concern of the tightness, and how it made going to the bathroom very difficult without the use of an enema.  He said everything looks fine, and should further improve with more time... He was wrong.
On to the point of this post:
So, instead of seeking a solution with surgery (with my luck, I'd imagine me losing control of my bowels completely), I am thinking of giving this Self Dilation thing a try.
For those of you, that have given it a try...
How do I determine what size to start with? is it kind of just a guessing process? maybe measure a finger and try to gauge size that way?
Where can I buy a dilator set that is intended for medical purposes?  I am not homophobic, but the use of one shaped like a penis, or one that is meant for people into anal fetish.... is kinda disturbing to me (disturbing for me to use one made for those purposes).
Cost isn't to big of an issue if it's around 100$ USD, especially if it leads to a surgery free solution.
Can using a Dilator lead to fecal incontinence? Sometimes? Rarely? Never?
Can it lead to the loss of controlling Flatulence? Sometimes? Rarely? Never?
I read in the thread I linked above it can cause bleeding. Is it a little blood, hardly mentioning? Can it potentially be problematic in public?
I'm going to give college another try this fall semester, so the answers to these questions will be the deciding factor on whether or not i try this.  Not being able to go to the bathroom without an enema really makes me lose out on a lot of opportunities, and even then, sometimes it fails and requires multiple attempts (painful attempts).  Really hope I won't have to have surgery during the break between fall and spring semester, or during the summer.
All this is very embarrassing and uncomfortable for me to talk about like this...  Thank god for the Anonymity of the internet.  If it wasn't for that, I would probably be facing a decision on when to schedule a surgery.
I eagerly await your responses.  And please know that I really do appreciate any response I get, considering this isn't an easy topic to talk about.  Thank you.
Random35324

Topics: 1

Re: Help Please: Self Dilation Questions, Where to buy, etc.

Postby Savaici » 31 Jul 2013, 16:58

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

I bought Pediatric Anal Dilator set from Speciality Surgical Products, Inc. Search for them on the net. They are not penis shaped and they are excellent. Can be heated or cooled.

I started with 9mm and worked my way up. Never had any problems with incontinence, bleeding because of dilating, no wind problems either. I was and am very gentle when I use them, and am careful too what I use for lubrication, going with organic ingredients, as you can see from my post on the self-dilation link.

Savaici

P.S. In many European countries, it is far more common to be sent home with a dilator after surgery in that region.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby suzyljank » 31 Jul 2013, 18:31

Hi and welcome. I had hemorrhoid surgery too, many years ago. Because I have IBS I never noticed my bottom getting narrow because I had diarrhea most of the time. When I did have a normal bm I used to struggle to get it out. Not all the time but more and more. I got an anal fissure that healed and then one that didn't even after LIS surgery. I went back to my CRS this year because I knew I was in real trouble. I had severe anal stenosis. I had double advancement flap surgery to remove the scar tissue just a few months ago. I'll never have the butt I was born with but the surgery helped me to be able to have a formed bm again and I'm grateful. The stenosis was caused by the hemorrhoid surgery. To help prevent more stenosis I have to dilate now once a day. I do it slowly and use KY jelly as a lubricant, never vaseline. You shouldn't bleed when you do this. I bought the dilators mentioned above and I now use the largest one 19mm. Start out with a small one until you get used to it. If it goes in too easy it's too small. You should feel the dilator stretching you a little bit. That's it's purpose, to stretch the muscle, it's like a exercise for your anal sphincter. If you feel too much resistance trying to insert the dilator don't force it. It can take a while to do it the first few times. If you still can't do it see your doctor because you stenosis needs to be evaluated. Dilating will not cause incontinence. I hope this helps. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Take care Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Random35324 » 02 Aug 2013, 12:48

Savaici wrote:Hi there and welcome to the forum. I bought Pediatric...

suzyljank wrote:Hi and welcome. I had hemorrhoid surgery too, many...

Thank you both, so much for your replies. I'm glad to hear that I shouldn't experience really any negatives using an anal dilator. I decided I am going to go with the Pediatric Anal Dilator set from Speciality Surgical Products, Inc. Though, before I place an order, I do have one more question.
What is the normal size the anus should be able to open up to? I would of thought that 19mm (0.748031496 inches) was too little. I always suspected that 25.4mm (1 inch) - 38.1mm (1.5 inches) was ideal. That's where I was at (I think) before corrective surgeries for prolapsed rectum and hemorrhoidectomy.
Thanks again.
Random35324

Postby suzyljank » 02 Aug 2013, 14:20

Hi, under normal circumstance you should be able to accommodate a larger dilator but since surgery my bottom is not the normal size. I could probably get something a little larger than 19mm in but my surgeon was happy with the pediatric size and he told me if I was able to have a bm that size I could live the rest of my life comfortably that way. I have to continue dilation for at least 2 years because thats how long it can takes the tissue (including any new scar tissue) to heal. If you continue to stretch it during that time it should be able to stretch during a bowel movement. If you don't stretch the tissue and the muscle it could tightened up and be unable to stretch and I do not want that again. For me I've gone from not being able to get a q-tip inside to being able to use the 19mm dilator and I'm happy with that. I never thought anyone could help me so I'm thankful everyday that my CRS was able to. All the best Suzy.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby lefthanded » 02 Aug 2013, 17:40

My dilator set goes up to 18mm and my CRS said that is a good size. He said anything between 14mm and 18mm will allow stool to pass. I lubricate mine with my diltiazem/lidocaine ointment.
lefthanded
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Random35324 » 04 Aug 2013, 14:16

You guys are great, and have really helped me out. You all are life savers.  I really do appreciate that you all took time out of your day to help me out; It really does mean a lot to me. I am going to order a set of dilators today.  I think 11mm - 19mm should do the trick.  Thank you all, from the bottom of my heart.
P.S. I'll check in every once and while to let you guys know how everything is going.
Random35324

Postby jay2502 » 11 Feb 2016, 17:59

how long do you put the dilator in there for ?
jay2502
Salt Bather

Topics: 20

Postby Hartsone » 14 Mar 2016, 23:52

I am glad you had information on dilators , I am also commenting on the diet and tightness issue. I also had more and more pain when defecating and in time found that gluten and other allergen constricted my anus to the previously mentioned qtip comfort limit. Please consider allergy testing not just gluten but a wide spectrum of goods can cause IBS the tight sphincter and other of the issues you mentioned . ordinary tests can be helpful but electric meridian testing can avoid the painful reaction of introducing an allergen to the system , I am nut sure where you can find it but a doctor Martha Howard in Chicago does it and might refer you to a local doctor near you to be tested. If you are used to being specific with diet indentifying and elimination of the specific foods also leads to healing . hope this helps you .
Hartsone

Postby roman » 06 Jun 2016, 16:13

Hi: I was supposed surgery today to deal with my stenosis, but I decided to put it off a few months until I have a block of recovery time available. Meanwhile, I thought I might give dilation a try. I called Speciality Surgical Products to try to order the Pediatric Anal Dilator set, but they said I need to send them a prescription.
Are there any other options out there? Most of the sex toy type dilators I'm seeing online seem like they would be way too fat for me. (I was thinking of starting with the 5mm size — that's 1/5 of an inch.)
roman