Still in Pain

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Still in Pain

Postby Ceeteefeebs » 18 May 2013, 23:12

Acupuncture is pretty low-risk and high-reward, so my humble vote is to give it a try. At the very least, it promotes emotional well-being and relaxation, which will help with the depression! Hang in there... And by all means get a second opinion!
Ceeteefeebs
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby Rusty62 » 24 Aug 2013, 08:40

I'm Back for some advise!!
So back in May I had considered going to the acupuncturist. Chickened out (so typical of me). I have a major problem with new things.
So 3 months later after a bad period of very loose stools and adjusting my medications, I am now seeing a gastro doctor. He wanted to do a sigmodoscopy (sp!!) but I chickened out on that too. After all this pain I just can't mentally put myself in a position for the prep which I know is going to hurt. It's bad enough dealing everyday with it but deliberately doing it, my brain said NO!!!
So I have an appointment Monday with the gastro doc again. He said he feels that my fissure is not really healed that's why he wanted to take a look and maybe do Botox injection. I think I am going to ask for nitro and lidocaine first and consider Botox if the cream doesn't help.
I have used nifedipine for over a year and it helps with the spasms but only minimally.
Any thoughts or ideas at this point would be appreciated.
Rusty62
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby owmybum » 24 Aug 2013, 09:40

Oh rusty, I'm sorry to hear things are no better.
Did you have any gastro issues before??
I got to a stage where I just shut down and thought... No... No more tests and poking and prodding by drs... But then as time went on, and I was still in the dire situation with my bum as ever, I thought... It's the only way to move on.
Go to your appt with an open mind, and ask for some time to mull things over before you commit to anything else.
Are you still using any type of stool softener?
Keep us posted!!
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Rusty62 » 24 Aug 2013, 10:56

Ever since I was diagnosed with diabetes in '03 I have had gastro issues. Mostly from the metformin I am sure. But probably also because I had my gall bladder removed in '97. I have cut my dosage in half and the burning seems to be better but still an issue. Yes I am using colace because when I cut my metformin which made the stool soft to runny it went the other way.
Thanks for the response and I will definitely be taking it slow with the new doc.
Rusty62
Fibre Addict

Postby Rusty62 » 26 Aug 2013, 15:14

So I went to the gastro doc today. What a disaster!1 I had cancelled the sigmoidoscopy with him last week and I think he was insulted. I waited almost an hour for him to come in the room and then he suggested a colonoscopy which I am not opposed to but the prep is an issue. I tried to express my concern over the prep and started to cry. Bringing that pain on purpose is something I have major trouble with.
He said something about having to see another patient and that it was his lunchtime and that's when I said I was sorry for bothering him and taking up his precious time and left. He has the empathy of a slug!!!
So I have called my colo-rectal doc for a discussion of a colonoscopy. He at least has some empathy for his patients. What ever happened to "Do no harm!!"
I was looking for some relief from the constant pain. I guess I have to wait alittle longer.
Rusty62
Fibre Addict

Postby Rusty63 » 21 Sep 2013, 10:21

It's still me , Rusty62. I had to re-register and am now Rusty63.
So the next day after my disaster doc appointment on 8/26/13, I called my colo-rectal surgeon and am seeing him on Monday, 9/23. I am going to discuss a colonoscopy with him and hopefully get some help with the pain I am STILL in.
I went to the gastro doc because of my poo consistancy issues but never got that far. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat - it could be loose or bordering hard. Someone has to give me relief from this. Spending the rest of my life this way is really scary.
Rusty63

Postby Scientist2516 » 21 Sep 2013, 13:00

Rusty, I want to second your idea of trying nitro instead of nifedipine.
I had to try all three drugs before I found one that works for me. I was on nifedipine for about 2 months with no relief. Diltiazem was immediately more effective. Then I had to switch to nitro because the dilt. made me itch and gave me a rash. The nitro is also a lot more effective for me than the nifedipine. I'm just saying, different treatments work for different people and if one is no good, you are right to try another.
I'm hoping for relief for you soon.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16